Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, record 1 from "Bach - Organ Music Vol. IV" performed by Walter Kraft on Vox.

[​IMG]

Marzz, ToddBD, Wes H and 1 other person like this.
  2. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Yes.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I couldn't disagree more. Goes to show how much tastes and preferences diverge here and how deep the gap is :)

ssstand and Daedalus like this.
  4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Healthy debate about all things musical is always welcome and potentially illuminating.

Marzz and Wes H like this.
  5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That depends, debating tastes can be a tricky business and can lead to unpleasant exchanges. But let's not start a debate on tastes and things like that :)

6. Daedalus

Tastes can be tricky . Of course my tastes have changed from time to time and sometimes when I have been introduced to something I never thought I would like or appreciate.

7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

BBC Mag CD. The Boult performance is from 1972

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Right, but calling some orchestra's playing sloppy ain't an issue of taste. It's a factual satement: do the second violins come in one by one, or as a unity; do the XXX group come in a half bar too late or don't - if "yes", then there's sloppiness.

The major Moscow and Leningrad/Petersburg orchestras have had occasional issues (can't know the reason - perhaps they just believed that Shostakovich should be played that way? :evil: ) but I certainly won't generalise and call them sloppy orchestras as such. The audio quality of the reocrdings was quite poor in the fifties, but luckily has gotten better afterwards.

PS. It's no accident that, in the nineties, the Russian National Orchestra chose Paavo Berglung to be one of its "artistic councellor" (or somesuch).

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, but liking (or at least not disliking) orchestras that are occasionally or regularly playing like that or not is a matter of taste and that's what I meant :)

10. Daedalus

At the office: playing Rachmaninoff, Piano Concerto 2, 6 Preludes for piano. Wislocki conducting Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra, Sviatoslav Richter, piano. From the large combined DG 111 box set. Originally issued during 1959. Excellent.

Marzz, Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

One of my favorite recordings by my favorite pianist! :wave:

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Playing sets of 78s this morning on my vintage Magnavox. Here is a beautifully played and recorded set of Chopin Mazurkas by Rubinstein.

Dan c

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mik, royzak2000, drh and 6 others like this.
  13. George P

I have learned through trial and error over the years that debating taste is pointless. If you like chocolate ice cream and I like vanilla, who am I to say that you should like vanilla? Or for that matter, why should it even matter to me if you like what I like? As long as I enjoy it, that should be enough.

On the subject of music taste, I have found it very useful to find other people who share my taste in classical music performance. These people can be quite useful when buying new CDs.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I'm with you except for saying recording quality is mostly excellent for pre-2000 recordings. But that's not necessarily a disqualifier for me.

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Agreed.

16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Another set, this Masterworks pressing of Budapest String Quartet doing the Revel.

I've got a number of 78 sets I'm going through as we prepare to move. Making difficult decisions on what to keep...

Dan c

[​IMG]

Mik, royzak2000, drh and 5 others like this.
  17. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

The subject of orchestral tightness versus feeling versus recording quality is quite subjective. I recall reading one particular review in the American Record Guide whose writer deplored a certain French orchestral disc that was one of my favorites. This reviewer decried the sloppy musicianship, including bad tuning - I never heard them. I'm not denying they had, but perhaps I'm not as sophisticated a listener as they are. I admit there are discs in my collection that seem badly recorded and this is a more common listening distraction for me than poor musicianship or either overzealous or boring conducting. I've certainly heard live recordings with obvious clams in them, as well as historic recordings that are just so bad sounding they are only interesting to hear how differently orchestras sounded in different time periods.

Obviously, the longer and more familiar I become with a piece, the more jaded I become as well. I become a critic (and fan) of minor details. I hope never to become so familiar with any work that I become numb to its overall effect. I still get a spine tingle from Beethoven's 9th, and feel Bruckner's awe of the Almighty from the adagio of any of his symphonies.

Mik, jukes, Daedalus and 2 others like this.
  18. George P

I'd put those Rubinstein Mazurkas near the top of your list.

Dan C likes this.
  19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh yeah, these easily made the cut. Victor shellac from this era was also amazingly quiet, these are no different. And I've always been a Rubinstein fanboy, as was my grandfather and dad.

Dan c

J.A.W. likes this.
  20. George P

Both of his mono sets are great! I like the earliest one the most.

Daedalus and Dan C like this.
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:righton:

Dan C likes this.
  22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, record 1 from "Beethoven String Quartets Op. 127, 130, 131, 132, 133, 135" performed by the Amadeus Quartet on DG.

Op. 127 & 135

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Mik, alankin1, royzak2000 and 6 others like this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, record 2 from "Mozart - The Complete Piano Concertos Vol. 3" performed by Murray Perahia leading the English Chamber Orchestra on CBS Masterworks.
    • Concertos Nos. 18 & 19
    [​IMG]

Mik, alankin1, dale 88 and 5 others like this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Bach - Cantatas 131 & 149" performed by the Heinrich Schutz Choir of Heilbronn and the Pforzheim Chamber Orchestra led by Fritz Werner on MHS.

[​IMG]

Daedalus, ToddBD and Wes H like this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Verdi - I Vespri Siciliani" performed by the Orchestra E Coro Del Teatro Alla Scala led by Riccardo Muti on EMI.

Featuring:
    Cheryl Studer
    Chris Merritt
    Giorgio Zancanaro
    Ferruccio Furlanetto

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Daedalus, Marzz and yasujiro like this.