Recommend a vinyl playback stereo system for a teenager

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fmuakkassa, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M Thread Starter

I want to assemble a stereo system for my daughter consisting of a stereo receiver (with blue-tooth technology), a record player (with cartridge and hinged dustcover), a CD player and two bookshelf speakers. These will be in her room about 15x15x8 feet (L,W,H).

This is her first stereo system. Budget is about $3,000 plus/minus. Maybe $500-1000 each for receiver, turntable and speakers. Speakers will be on a bookshelf to be custom made.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Be my dad?

doctor fuse, Gary, vinyl13 and 8 others like this.
  3. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

I'd probably spend less. Far be it from me to tell you how to spend your money, it's just my thought on the matter being that we're talking about a teenager.

YAMAHA CRX-N560 Networking CD Receiver »

+ a U-Turn Orbit with built in phono pre and a pair of efficient bookshelves that would be happy with 32 watts.

Isaac K. and Jasonb like this.
  4. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

A possible setup, should be right around 3K.
    Nad D7050 Amp(has all the digital goodies today's listeners seem to want)
    Nad C516BEE CD Player
    Project PS00-Frida by Parov Stelar Limited Edition Turntable (I think a young lady would really love this table)
    Paradigm Mini Monitor V7 Bookshelf Speakers
    A setup any daughter could be proud to run.

5. Donniej

Donniej Senior Member

Haha! Ditto! I'd call him daddy. That's more than my system cost. :cry:

6. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

I'm 15 and I bought my set-up all together cost under 300$ (Baby Advent II Speakers, Pioneer SX-680 Receiver, Pioneer PL-4 Turntable and Art DJ Pre II Preamp) :D
    I personally wouldn't spend 3k on a hobby she may or may not like, so I'd say find her some good vintage equipment, clean everything up and she'll be ready to go.

doctor fuse and Donniej like this.
  7. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I applaud your effort!!!
    You did not state your daughter's age...so as far as a vinyl setup goes, I vote go cheap, maybe a vintage P-Mount setup.
    I would check to see if there was much available in that format that she has an interest in.
    Happy hunting!

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Maybe the iFi Retro 50 system? The system includes bookshelf speakers base on the system setup includes the integrated amp and speakers based on the Rogers LS3/5A design. The integrated amp includes a phono section for MM and MC along with a good headphone amp section. The integrated amp section includes bluetooth and a USB DAC input. I've only heard the setup with headphones along with a digital source. I haven't heard the speakers. The amp and headphone section are very nice. I was impressed, and I'm picky about headphone amp sound. The complete setup is $2K without a turntable. Add in a turntable and headphones and you'll still be in budget.

iFi Audio link: RETRO – Stereo 50 »
    Tone Audio review: iFi Retro 50 – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE »
    MusicDirect link: iFi Retro Stereo System at Music Direct »

9. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I'd suggest give her $3,000 and see if she spends it on HI-FI.

Donniej likes this.
  10. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I don't think you need to spend too much for a first system. For ease of use on the turntable I'd go with the AT LP120. Fully automatic and everything set up. As for the rest, there's a lot out there I'll leave for others to comment on. I'd go with good used equipment but you'll get decent new stuff for your budget.

11. fmuakkassa

She's 18, Freshman college student. She has been buying LPs and I let her listen to them on my system (I put the record on the turntable!)
    She's been to the concerts of One Direction, Justin Bieber, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift and other with her friends and to Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Rolling Stones, John Fogerty (playing CCR), Jethro Tull, Elton John with me.

Slick Willie likes this.
  12. fmuakkassa

Thanks for all the posts above. So I may be overspending for a first stereo system and I should look for used gear (or maybe discounted demo equipment from the likes of Music Direct etc.)

13. fmuakkassa

Sorry, not possible!

14. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Well I asked my 20 year old daughter what she'd do. Answer, buy something like my system, secondhand and spend the rest on alcohol!

troggy and Donniej like this.
  15. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

If I had a daughter in college, I would think that 3 grand would be better spent on text books.

Schoolmaster Bones likes this.
  16. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

As a teen in the early 90s, I had...

A pair of Rogers LS6a's
    An Arcam Delta 60 integrated amp
    A Rega Planar 2
    And Marantz CD-42 mk II CD player.

Didn't cost thousands, and I was thoroughly happy with that set up back then. I remember my friends being pretty gobsmacked at how great it sounded too.

I don't think you need to spend anywhere near three grand.

Oh, and beware of teenagers with vinyl (I remember how careless even I was with 'em back then, throwing them on the bed and not putting them back in their sleeves).

17. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

Crosley puts out some good products now I hear.

18. fmuakkassa

Thanks for the info. Never heard of Retro before. Great review of the Retro-50 but not of the speakers in ToneAudio magazine.

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Do they make fully automatic turntables these days?

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not save for the one Denon.

21. Peter Baird

Peter Baird Well-Known Member

lol yeah be my dad too and I'm 50! My system isn't that much more than $3K.

I think an AT 120, Music Hall MMF 2.2, one of the entry Pro Jects, U Turn, etc. with a D class amp of good quality (NAD D3020, PS Audio Sprout, even the Music V90 series), Schiit Mani and some Elac or Pioneer speakers would rock most teens' world. I'd even call that a high end system for teens. And I'd skip the CD player and just get a DAC to steam off their laptops, either downloaded music or streaming

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.