Madonna. Yay or Nay.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, it would be nice to hear her take some risks instead of playing it safe (and boring).

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

MDMA was her most desperate album. Lord only knows what she was thinking. At least Rebel Heart does have some very good songs. The low points being S.E.X and the dreaded Bitch, I'm Madonna. I've owned the album a year now and still play it . So that's something.:)

Will be interesting to see where she goes next. It must be a miserable experience making an album now when everyone around her is at least 20 years younger. Yet I can't see her going 'backwards' either and using the likes of Patrick Leonard. More's the pity.

bob60 and Bowieboy like this.
  3. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

I like some of her output, everything up to Music as some artistic merit for me. Her insistent to keep mining the dance arena has left me cold, isn't it time she aged gracefully rather than cavorting around like she was still in her 20's.

Like A Prayer is my favourite album and I also like Ray of Light.

bob60 likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

I'd be happy if she continued in the direction of songs like Wash All Over Me, Ghosttown, Joan Of Ark, Heartbreak City etc. Although I suppose some might find these boring.

Madonna has to accept that radio probably won't play her again. No matter was she does. Had Ghosttown come out 20 years ago, it would have been a number one. Not so today.

5. Bobby Morrow

I think after American Life 'flopped', she panicked and with the next album, Confessions On A Dancefloor, went back to the sort of dance pop she thought people expected of her. She's been there ever since.

bob60 and Bowieboy like this.
  6. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Very true. A lot of artists who had long runs at radio seemed to make better peace with that moment where the hits stopped. Elton, Springsteen and McCartney IMO actually started getting more interesting again once they realized they reached an age and point in their careers where they were no longer pressured to have a "radio single" on their albums. At this stage, Madonna could put out the second coming of Vogue or Music and it still wouldn't make a dent on radio. I'd rather see her just take that her time on radio is up and move with dignity and make solid music without this hopes for a last ditch top 40 hit.

theMess and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Yes, just because radio won't play her doesn't mean her career is over. She still has her voice and hasn't lost her ability to put on a fantastic show. There's lots she can do.

I am looking forward to her next album, but fervently hope Nicki Minaj is nowhere in sight.:D

theMess, JohnnyQuest and fsutall like this.
  8. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

I agree until you said Cyndi. She needs to hurry up and get over this standards, blues, and country thing she's doing. It feels so overwrought. I think she blew her creative wad on the musical.

9. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Cyndi's been hit and miss on it... but I actually am really digging this rockabilly vibe she's going with on her new album. The standards and blues records put me to sleep though.

10. The7thStranger

It just feel like she's run out of ideas. But at least rockabilly is something she has history with. But it's still just covers, right?

11. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I think so.

I laud that Cyndi realizes the 1980s are over and that she will never have anything that reaches the heights of She's So Unusual or even True Colors again and just does what she pleases... but some of the stuff is boring as hell. But I do respect that she is just doing whatever she wants now and shows that she's content with her pop stardom being a thing in the past. But it does make some of her recent stuff frustrating because I'm not a huge blues fan (I like it when blended with rock, but not as a pure genre) and the standards have been done to death. The folky acoustic record wasn't bad and I really liked her all-out gay dance record. I'm really liking the songs she's dropped so far off Detour though so I plan to buy it, which I never bothered with Memphis Blues.

Yes, if she wants to do rockabilly, it would've been great to get Blue Angel back together for an album. At this point, she's a cult artist anyways so it wouldn't hurt.

12. Bobby Morrow

Looks like Madonna and Rocco have made up. Hope this puts here in a good frame of mind for her next album. Rather than trying to record stuff that will appeal to him and his mates, of course.:)

johnaltman likes this.
  13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Madonna really needs to take time out now and take stock. She lurches from one project to another seemingly without tasking breath, new albums, directing movies, setting up orphanages in Africa, launching clothing labels etc etc. Basically she has lost her way.
    She should take a proper break so that we look forward to seeing her again. She needs to accept that getting down with the 'young uns' in the studio does not translate into radio play or new young fans. I think she should be trying to hold onto and appeal to the fans who have grown with her, and that doesn't mean that she has to be boring and middle of the road ballads, though frankly i would rather that than the last 'phoned in' horrors that she has thrown at us.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

If a 57 year old male rock star sang about partying and drinking he would be hailed as a mystic bluesman.
    I don't think Madonna has any intention of taming down.
    [​IMG]

15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

She was good until it became evident she had a problem with aging.

16. Bobby Morrow

It's not looking promising for an album of standards judging by this picture.:D

tin ears, theMess and bob60 like this.
  17. edvj

edvj Forum Resident

Gaffer tape FTW:D

18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

She's aging the way she wants to, no problem there.

19. The7thStranger

Still don't give a single **** about her outfits. Just make music from the heart again.

20. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

You mean like "Rebel Heart"?

21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

My favorite Madonna song of the past five years is probably Masterpiece, I think it was released as a single but it kind of got lost. I have always loved Madonna's gentler side and we don't often get to hear it these days.
    I would love an album in this vein, though I admit I am probably in a minority on this one.

Marble Index, Bobby Morrow and ralphb like this.
  22. Donfrance

Donfrance As honest as a politician.

I only have the Ray Of Light album. It may perhaps not be considered her "best" album but to me it's an album I listen to entirely without finding parts I don't appreciate that much.

The overall presence of Madonna is, even if you're not fan of her music, impressive, I think in the end the votes might have a slight Yay advantage...

bob60 likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Totally agree.

Masterpiece was the highlight of MDNA, where it clearly didn't fit in at all. I'd love more songs like this, Ghosttown, Wash All Over Me, Joan Of Ark, etc.

Marble Index likes this.
  24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I agree, for me that is her most 'complete' album.

25. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Madonna does a lot of things tolerably well: sing, dance, write, perform. Even that really wasn't enough, so she created the outrageous persona, which capped it.

In sum, an entertainer. She cannot be put on the level of those who achieved a higher level in music like Sinatra, Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Who, Van Halen, obviously Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell, Bruce Springsteen. It's two different levels. Just as I would not put Bon Jovi, say, or Cheap Trick (much as I like them) with this group.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.