There must be a better way to program my DVR!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

...in particular, a DIRECTV DVR+ HD DVR, but feel free to post for any others.

I was trying to program in some shows to record on the new box which replaced one that fritzed, and it is SO SO SO tedious moving the little arrow to each letter and so on, and messing up accidentally, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrkgafl@#$@%^^%@#$

Then it occurred to me-there is probably a better way. Online? Phone app? Different remote with keypad? SOMETHING please dear Universe?

2. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Don't you just go to the schedule and hit enter on the show and time you want entered?

3. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Yes, if you know when and on what channel it's playing

4. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I agree. It does suck.

5. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I have U-verse, and I know exactly what you mean about the tedious, pain in the rear search.
    We can go to uverse.com and search for programs and set things to record from there. Much, much easier.

See if DirectTV has a website like that.

6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I would concur with using the guide to find and set up your recording list, provided you know when and where the shows air. It'll be faster than the hunt-and-peck search technique.

7. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Unless you really fear forgetting to record something, I would suggest doing it day by day...meaning tonight just arrow through each network to the shows you know you want to record and set them up. Tomorrow night, do the same again for tomorrow nights shows. This way you don't have to deal with the guide at all.

8. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

My friend, as others have stated, you're doing it the hard way.

Use the guide from your remote control. Find the show and hit the "SEL" button (round, right in the middle). Assuming the show isn't airing right then, it should give you record options (record once, record series, etc.). If it is showing right then, hit the "REC" button on the remote and you should be presented with the same record options.

I actually love how easy it is to use the record and playback options of the DVR, especially the DirecTV unit. I remember quite a few years ago an acquaintance got a Tivo box (before DVR's were so prominent) and said it was a nightmare to set up and use.

9. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I had DirecTV for years, and had to switch to Dish last spring for a variety of reasons. It's a really crappy interface when it comes to recording and managing DVR content. I also believe our Hopper box is haunted. While playing back a recorded show, it often gets about halfway through, then skips to the end like it's finished. Have to go back, start the show again, FF to where it blew up, and then continue. It also chops the ends off of shows way too often, even though I have it set up to record a few minutes extra. I'm sure it's a show priority issue, but I swear I can't find the issues prior to it happening.

Tried a replacement box a couple months ago, but couldn't even get that one to connect to the WiFi, so I just kept the glitchy one. The devil you know, and all that...

Digital-G likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.