Munich High End 2016

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thegage, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd Thread Starter

Anyone here going to attend this year? I have to be in Munich on business starting this weekend and suddenly realized it coincides with the show. I'm planning on going Sunday. I've never been before, so any suggestions on what to see appreciated.

John K.

2. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I've never been there but I understand Pro-ject puts on quite a show.

3. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

Bummer. I was there last weekend. I would have loved to have gone. I guess the Weisse beer in the beergardens and fresh air in the alps were better for my wallet though.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You won't take it all in on just one day (Sunday) but enjoy what you do see. It's an experience that stays with you for years.

5. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Pity I just noticed your post. I was there.

6. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd Thread Starter

I didn't try to take it all in, and just ducked into rooms that piqued my interest. Fortunately everyone was saying Sunday was a lot less crowded than the previous two days, so I was able to wander around without feeling too pressed.

I heard some good tunes in the Vandersteen room, with Mr. Vandersteen there and his wife choosing the music. The daudio/NativeDSD room also had a very engaging sound on the jazz and classical they were playing, but I didn't get a chance to hear how they would do on something like rock. I also spent some time in the Harbeth room with no one else there, getting my first taste of the 40.2. They were very much to my taste in listening; I have to say many of the rooms were sounding way to aggressive on the high end for me, but maybe that's what draws people in, or else it's just the way it is in less optimal rooms. Finally, I got to say Hi to Peter Lederman of Soundsmith and to thank him for the work he's done on a few of my cartridges over the years, including one I just sent him.

John K.

Tlay likes this.
  7. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

That sounds great. How nice for you to be able to meet Peter Lederman and make that personal connection. Getting time with the Harbeth 40.2s all by yourself?! Fantastic.

I was just saying to my wife this morning that the biggest hifi show in the world is once a year and is in Munich. Might be a really nice vacation : ) Music and great beer for me and museums/churches/historical locations for her! I think that I might just plan something in the next 2-3 years. I've been to a lot of European cities, but the thought of having a huge stein of beer in the HofbrÀuhaus after a day of music. Mmmmm......

ThorensSme likes this.
  8. SoundRebels

SoundRebels Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.