Why Doesn't Bob Dylan Play Guitar Onstage Anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member Thread Starter

I know there are theories, many of which harken back to his old motorcycle accident in 1966 and the damage he received to his neck, but does anyone know why, beginning in 2002, Bob Dylan first started paying piano onstage, at first in addition to his guitar playing, and by the late 2000's, when he'd completely stopped playing guitar onstage at all? For the last few years, he's actually been playing a concert grand after spending the previous decade playing an electric keyboard of some sort. I'm pretty sure he still plays guitar on his studio albums — to what degree, I don't know — but the piano has become his primary instrument second on;y to his voice. Does anyone have any insight into this? I don't think he's ever been asked about it in interviews and it's a pretty big change.

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Hang on, let me ask him.

3. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

I saw him in Hong Kong a few years ago. Pretty sure he was strumming a guitar for some songs there.

4. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

What did he say?

dee, Seltarb, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member Thread Starter

Not since the mid-2000s ...

6. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I heard carpel tunnel as a rumor, but when I interviewed him he said he just wanted a change. I'll see if I can find the direct quote.

7. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Maybe Bob's just getting lazy in his old age. When I saw him he played keys a little but it was still mind f****** blowing.

petem1966 likes this.
  8. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident

Unsure; he mumbled so much it was unintelligible.

9. Robert Zimmerman still plays guitar, Bob Dylan not so much.

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Good as I Been To You and World Gone Wrong. There's the answer.

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Lazy? At his age, how many other people do you know who are working as much as he does?

12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

because he doesn't want to

mr. scratchy esq likes this.
  13. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

He kept playing guitar on at least a couple songs up through October 2012. The last show he held a guitar was October 10, 2012, in Calgary, Alberta, where he played guitar on "Simple Twist of Fate". He played that song with great frequency but dropped it from the setlist. The next time he played that tune it was eight months later and he was parked behind his grand piano.

My guess is it's something health related. Probably his hands, maybe some arthritis. I doubt it's because he's tired of playing the guitar. At his peak in the early '00s, I thought he'd worked up a really nifty, super-primitive, one-, two-, or three-notes-if-you're-lucky lead guitar style. I miss it.

Tribute, piepants, I333I and 12 others like this.
  14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The rumor I heard was it was related to his back. Not sure if it's credible.

Matt123, warewolf95 and malco49 like this.
  15. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

That he's Bob F'n Dylan and he'll play what he feels like.

16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Arthritis

Matt123 likes this.
  17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i've always thought he was a solid guitar player, but what do i know? i've only been playing for 25 years.

18. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

Last time he played guitar was for the first song at chicagos fall 2012 show at United center

piepants and rstamberg like this.
  19. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I think that was his new song that he was singing for you.

20. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Track down some shows from 2000-2002 or so. He played lead on many songs and it was stunning.

21. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I stand corrected on the last time being Calgary. You are correct: "Sweet Home Chicago" in Chicago, IL, November 9, 2012.

piepants and rstamberg like this.
  22. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

Really? I could have sworn I have pictures from around 2012 or so when he played in Hong Kong...playing guitar. I'll have to check my photos.

rstamberg likes this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Actually he is a fairly underrated guitarist. Especially fingerpicking. Also, I forget who it was that said it but they kind of felt the same way about Bob. That he couldnt play. Then they were invited to a session and said something to the effect of "Bob knows so many chords its ridiculous. Hes like a walking chord book." Then there is the incident during the recording of Desire that he wanted the mandolin player to play a specific way. The musician couldnt get it right, so Bob went over and took the mandolin and played the part.

The out of tune a rudementary style he plays with now is purposeful. He admired Merle Haggards one string running style. The out of tune sound along with some unconventional chording he picked up in a jazz club he claims to have heard this guy playing in. Said it transformed his style. And reinvented/revived his career direction at a time he thought he might just retire during the 90s.

So yeah, he can play. And play well in his style.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The best later years imo. About 1998-2002. On top of his game and a crack band. Best he ever had. Saw him 3 times during that era. Not near enough.

25. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

j

The song that Dylan wanted the mandolin part to sound like and demonstrated, was "If you see her say hello", on "Blood on the Tracks".
    Dylan was an inventive, creative guitar player.
    Witness the tunings he utilized on "Blood", and his early acoustic recordings.

In addition, I have seen him play the guitar when I was a few feet from the stage, and he is very competent on the instrument.
    And as others have mentioned, his solo guitar albums from the early 90s display his ability.

RubenH, tgdinamo, mark ab and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.