Is it time to "forgive" Bieber?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowieboy, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ask this because someone was chewing me out for making a comment about Bieber because "it's not 2010" anymore. He's claiming that Bieber has officially matured and become a more talented "artist". I haven't heard anything that makes me feel that way, but.... I do know that there was a time when I would've scoffed that the boy from N'Sync or girl from Destiny's Child would amount to anything, and yet now Timberlake and Beyonce are two of the most respected artists in pop who have both matured and evolved from their early beginnings (whereas Britney Spears has mostly stayed in the same vein as she was in 1999 and never evolved as an artist).

What do others think. Has Justin Bieber yet hit that Timberlake plateau where he's become a more respected artist and demands more respect than in his "Baby" days, or does he still have more work and evolving to do? Personally I think the latter but I see people who are arguing he's already done that.

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Nah, after that snotty comment he made shortly after Prince's death, I think he needs to be sent to bed without supper.

3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Daydream Beliebers....

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If someone has a YouTube link of some song as an example of his musical maturation, I'll be happy to hear it.

A very perceptive critic once pointed out that three of America's most beloved film directors were Opie, Laverne and the Meathead.

5. DamageCase77

DamageCase77 Well-Known Member

You gotta be jiving me, Bowieboy...

DrBeatle and Dudley Morris like this.
  6. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Always say never

7. Yes. Forgive and FORGET.

starduster and ssmith3046 like this.
  8. brettb33

brettb33 Forum Resident

In a word, no. I don't even understand how Beyoncé earned respect from the critics.

9. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

10. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

He's getting there. He'll be around for a while.

11. Mr_TagoMago

Mr_TagoMago Well-Known Member

All top 40 music to me is trash. I don't like any of it be it Taylor Swift or Lorde. I find it all rather annoying. So no I don't think Justin Beiber is now a good artist, but I don't think any of these popular artists are good.

12. Bowieboy

I'm not a big Beyonce fan but I can get it. Her last two albums (even 4 to an extent) are a radical evolution from the old Destiny's Child and "girl power" r&b/pop jams.

And btw, I am NO Bieber fan, but being told to get over disliking him over "Baby" made me wonder if others felt like he's somehow pulled a Timberlake style act of redemption for his tween past that I'm somehow missing.

13. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

In order to forgive you actually had to care to begin with. Ehhh.

14. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Beiber?
    Nah.
    Thats two words Ill never get back. Oh well.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  15. JohnnyQuest

@Bowieboy As long as he continues to make generic R&B music he'll slowly earn the respect of Top 40 listeners all around the U.S.

lightbulb likes this.
  16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

He seems to be doing pretty well for himself without our forgiveness .
    :D

davesmoked likes this.
  17. Bowieboy

the person chewing me out about it is actually 2 years older than me... a 38 year old proclaiming how awesome Bieber's become and how I'm being closedminded and a fuddy duddy for "not getting it" LOL

I think liking Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz should be enough for me accepting former teen stars from 5-8 years ago who've matured. I saw more of a maturity and evolution in her latest stuff I've not heard in JB's music.

starduster likes this.
  18. JohnnyQuest

To be honest, (let me put my bias aside) his new music is nothing but a rehash of what Chris Brown and Drake was doing a few years ago. I don't hear any growth,maturity or innovation in his latest material.

lightbulb and Bowieboy like this.
  19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Forgiveness isn't necessary, but he just isn't my kind of thing and probably never will be. And I'm OK with that.

20. Bowieboy

well, "forgive" maybe is the wrong word. But I meant, where he's gotten to a point artistically and creatively that it's time we let go of his tween pop 15 year old image and accept him for who he is now... the way nobody still sees JT as the curly haired kid from N'Sync.

dkmonroe likes this.
  21. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

IMO Timberlake should be a lot more respected for his acting than he is for his music. His and Bieber's music isn't so much bad as it is mediocre. It's so incredibly generic that it could be anyone.

Man at C&A, DrBeatle and JohnnyQuest like this.
  22. Bowieboy

I think Timberlake is actually underrated as an artist to be truthful. He is making 8 minute long songs that would be self-indulgent and uncommercial for other artists, and yet sells millions doing it. He's way above Bieber artistically IMO

23. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Once a tool always a tool.

Sondek and Front 242 Addict like this.
  24. JohnnyQuest

It couldn't said any better than that. You hit the nail on the head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.