For Country Music Collectors, post your latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by baptistbusman, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I doubt anyone in this thread is.

p.s. She's a folk singer. ;)

Duke Fame likes this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

That's great! I'm glad you're enjoying the Billy Mize discs. Although Bear Family haven't yet released a comprehensive box set or compilation, we're fortunate that Billy is still living. "Make It Rain" was his labor of love. "Salute To Swing": A Tribute To Tommy Duncan" is also an excellent collection, although I recommend buying the original LP in addition to the CD reissued by Merle Haggard's label. The CD contains different versions and features Merle performing as a guest artist. That project was overseen and apparently funded by Merle and made the CD available at the merch table at his concerts. It's still very hard to accept that Merle is gone. Johnny Cash had more time to say goodbye to his family, friends and fans, but Merle's condition worsened very quickly.
    <iframe src="Salute to Swing Commercial from William J Saunders on Vimeo »" width="640" height="353" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="">Salute to Swing Commercial</a> from <a href="William J Saunders »">William J Saunders</a> on <a href="Vimeo: Watch, upload and share HD videos with no ads »">Vimeo</a>.</p>

The Killer likes this.
  3. melstapler

Well said. I saw Carlene (with her band) perform in support of this album. Carlene seemed to put a great deal of effort into that album and the tour, staying after shows to sign autographs at the table and meet everyone. As a multi-instrumentalist, McFee gave so many layers and dimensions to "Stronger," yet rock critics expected it to sound like her old material.

John McFee is a versatile guitarist and an excellent producer. Although I'm more of a fan of McFee's work with Clover, Elvis Costello and his other band Southern Pacific than the critically acclaimed work he's done with The Doobie Brothers. I honestly believe McFee bridges that gap between country, rock and jazz. I should also note that McFee will be a guest artist on the upcoming album by Magic Bus Band, which features ex-Southern Pacific vocalist Tim Goodman.

The Killer likes this.
  4. melstapler

This CD by Australian country legend Johnny Chester is my most recent acquisition. This song was released as a single and album cut.

Marzz likes this.
  5. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

A few months ago, I got a signed vinyl copy of The Best of Ernie Ashworth at a thrift store for 10 cents. Good stuff.

melstapler likes this.
  6. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

This just came in the mail today: Hot Burritos by the Flying Burrito Brothers. Double CD containing all 3 of their studio albums, plus 11 other tracks.

7. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I got a really good used vinyl copy of that one a couple of weeks ago. A fine album.

Marzz and melstapler like this.
  8. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I saw Charlie in concert in 1980. He was playing a prototype of a Gibson 9-string guitar (half 6-string and half 12-string). His opening act was the late Connie Eaton.

The Killer likes this.
  9. sami

sami Mono still rules

Only way to hear that music!

Folknik likes this.
  10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I first heard "The Rubber Room" in the middle of the night on my transistor radio in 1972. Scared me to death! The first psychedelic country song.

Marzz likes this.
  11. rob macd

rob macd The sunshine bores the daylights out of me

great collection
    I think the guitarist is pete anderson and he smokes , just him and dwight simple and lean

GerryO, melstapler and the sands like this.
  12. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Actually the Bear Family reissue of this is a fine disc too, once again BF did a good job!

Marzz, sami and melstapler like this.
  13. melstapler

Very nice. It's strange how many autographed country and western LPs can be found in used stores if you're patient enough to search through the bins . I rarely have that luck for other genres. Ernie Ashworth's songs were recorded by the likes of Johnny Horton and Paul Anka, which proves he was a versatile songwriter. Unlike some artists from his era, Ernie's body of work is surprisingly consistent in terms of quality and it baffles me as to why no label has released an official comprehensive box set. Either a 3CD or 4CD set would probably be sufficient in summarizing his career output, unless Hickory, Decca or Ernie's son have additional previously unreleased recordings in their vaults.

Folknik and Marzz like this.
  14. I wanna sit you and Chris Scruggs in a room just to see which of you is the true Country Music encyclopedia on two legs. I thought he was in a league of his own but you might give him a run for his money. He's a really nice guy though.

melstapler likes this.
  15. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Found this at the charity store
    [​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
  16. The Killer

Slightly off topic but I've got a few signed 10 x 8 record label ublicity photos by country singers, none of them cost a lot of money. One of my finds was a signed dedication by Faron Young and he'd signed it for someone with the same name as me!

Marzz and melstapler like this.
  17. melstapler

Thanks, that would be fun. Is that the same Chris Scruggs from BR549?

18. melstapler

Very nice. From the number of autographs in circulation, you can tell Faron rarely missed a meet and greet at his shows. Think I have a couple LPs with his signature in pen, but the 8x10 with your name on it takes the cake. Who are some other artists in your 8x10 collection?

The Killer likes this.
  19. The Killer

There's only a few signed; Merle Haggard and Johnny Paycheck were my best finds, couple of nice ones signed by James Burton, one of him with Elvis and one with Rick Nelson.

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  20. melstapler

Not bad! Do you keep them in protective plastic or do you frame them? That's a big consideration with my collection, which is mostly kept either in boxes or away from direct sunlight.

21. The Killer

I keep them in a large photo album with protective film, nice to have them in one one place although not so nice when you can't find it after you move house, took me 5 years before I stumbled upon them. Found it a couple of days after Merle died so it was a nice surprise tinged with a certain sadness when I saw his signed photo again.

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

If you don't have the K-Tel single disc best of comp with Shelly West or the Varese compilation series, pick those discs up. The K-Tel disc has the 10 basic solo and duet tracks, and the Varese series has a disc of David solo, a disc of Shelly solo and a disc of the duets.

23. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

zphage and Marzz like this.
  24. The Killer

My Lattie Moore CD has arrived, great disc chock full of upbeat country numbers, terrific voice and a first-rate band. Great stuff.

Marzz and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  25. Trace

Trace Senior Member

A recent acquisition

[​IMG]
    Loretta Lynn & Conway Twitty
    We Only Make Believe
    Decca (US) 1971
    If I'm not mistaken, this was the 1971 Grammy winner for Best Duo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.