Is it time to "forgive" Bieber?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowieboy, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Anything is possible, I guess. It took me a long time to come around to The Bay City Rollers. Now I love them.

2. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I don't really see anything here to forgive really. He is what he is. Has he matured as an "artist"? Well, that is a tough question to answer considering I have no idea what input he has in his music. His singing has gotten better and he seems to have more lyrics rather then just repetitive choruses ;however, it's really the same music. Just listen and ask yourself, "Do I like this"? If the answer is no then I would move on.

My daughter loves him, so I've had the "pleasure" (Sarcasm) of hearing him mature but to be honest, I'm still not a bielber. He is what he is. I'm not a fan so I don't spend a lot of time on him.

Side note: That boy everyone likes to pick on has more money and fame then most of us will ever come close to. He also has his pick of a large portion of the female population. If I were him, I would not give a crap what others thought of me.

Live and let live. Spend time with the music you prefer and not the music you don't. That is just my opinion. :cool:

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think technically he's beyond the "teen idol" stage just by virtue of still having a career now that he's definitely out of his teen years, and as far as I can tell, he has appeal to a wider audience. But whether his music is actually more mature and meaningful, I respectfully recuse myself from that debate. He doesn't ring my bell as far as being a "mature" artist, but his area is so removed from my field of vision that I don't think I can judge it objectively.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I just listened to the song. "Generic R&B" is a good description. I love a good pop tune, and that one was not a particularly good pop tune.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  5. The whole "forgive the Biebs" thing is something that was put together by his marketing team, just like the "celebrity roast" was. Nobody should pay it any mind. If the kid does any worthwhile work, it'll reveal itself in due time.

6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

neither Timberlake or Bieber do anything for me....then or now.....Bieber has no voice and JT is a copy of a copy, but im glad they can make some sheckles
    ps James Taylor should demand those initials back

7. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

People are content with mediocrity. :shrug:

8. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Forum Resident

Sorry I can't forgive him for releasing the crap he has. Lol. A musical joke in my opinion.

9. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Thank you for saying that. I've said something similar ;however, no one ever understood what I meant.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  10. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

When your hairstylist is listed in the album credits, it's difficult to take the word "artist" seriously. IMO they're more professional pop stars than they are artists. They have put in the work. And with their strings of number ones, I guess that they must be doing something right.

DrBeatle and action pact like this.
  11. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Glad to know I'm not alone. I know sometimes I can be a musical snob towards pop music but it seems like most people are on the same boat as myself regarding Bieber and that he's really not "redeemed himself" or whatever.

I will be the first to give Miley Cyrus some credit for the Dead Petz album, that impressed me and surprised me much more than anything I've heard from the adult Bieber.

12. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

If he becomes extremely self-destuctive, fires all his managers, immerses himself in older psych-rock music and takes a long sabbatical followed by a return to the studio where he records some annoying avant-noise and chants in broken english

I might listen

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  13. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I totally agree , his music is one long boredom and shallowness.
    I just can't listen to his music.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    DrBeatle and The Lizard King like this.
  14. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

You actually kind of described Miley's most recent album which was her getting all psychedelic and experimental, which was surprisingly good.

asdf35 likes this.
  15. JohnnyQuest

The best part is that it sounded very organic and not forced or contrived like most experimental efforts by ultra mainstream artists.

Bowieboy likes this.
  16. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

While he's recorded at least one catchy pop song, I don't see any artistic change in his approach to making music. It's still motivated by a desire to be popular, perceived as cool and trendy. And that's, by definition, uncool.

In regards to Justin Timberlake, he's not much better. Except he's far more pretentious. While the music overall is better, I wouldn't go and call JT some amazing creator when really he just xeroxes the style of black crooners before him and has re-written his first major hit over and over again, both for himself and others. "Cry Me a River" is "What Goes Around" is "Mirrors." Really, he hasn't strayed very far from NSYNC's debut album, musically. And yes, I am admittedly biased given how he is never truly taken responsibility in single-handedly destroying Janet Jackson's career.

17. JohnnyQuest

Single-handedly. :laugh:

18. The7thStranger

Diction game strong. ;)

johnaltman and JohnnyQuest like this.
  19. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

Of course it's time!!, but to forget him!!

20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Can't wait for Timberlake's country album.:D

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

There's some truth to that. Bieber makes R&B for people who don't really like R&B.:)

22. JohnnyQuest

Absolutely. It's working like a charm because those kids have no idea what R&B is. As far as they know, this is a new genre that Justin created last year. :doh:
    These are also the same people that were introduced to Rap from a Juicy J feature on a Katy Perry song and "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea. Most likely the kids of proud parents that once owned "Ice Ice Baby" on cassette.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  23. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Bieber is never going to get much traction on SHF and it goes pretty much without saying that I don't care for his music at all myself, but I hope I never catch myself blowing up to such a level of pomposity that I claim that a musician needs my 'forgiveness' for their recordings!

My personal animosity towards Bieber is that he seems such a detestable, spoilt narcissist but ... he's young and he doesn't exactly need absolution for that either.

drasil likes this.
  24. The7thStranger

Bieber is riding this hot trend of 90s nostalgia. He's not doing poorly... it's just that he's not doing anything worthy of his actual talent. He traded that in for shallow pop music that were handed to him.

25. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I've sorted him in the not for me bin (significantly bigger than the music for me bin). Maybe one day he make a record that I buy and play on the stereo but I doubt it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.