Madonna. Yay or Nay.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

Dad rock lol. that's a new one to me. by that definition it's not a bad thing. it has a negative connotation though, probably not the best term to use

Gersh likes this.
  2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Nope. From what I've heard of her acting, it's a good thing. :D

johnaltman likes this.
  3. johnaltman

oh, you must!! it's wonderfully cheesy, but hilarious. seen any of her movies?

4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

20 Dad Rock Albums To Check Out For Father's Day »

I like some dad rock myself. Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac would come under that category. I don't have a problem with the term really. I find it quite funny.

Edit: I just noticed the bottom comment on the comment section of the link I dropped. :biglaugh: :hide:

5. johnaltman

I suppose ;)
    may I ask your age?

6. JohnnyQuest

I've done my best to avoid them. :D Nothing against Madonna, I just prefer good acting and interesting storylines. John, what's your favorite Madonna album?

johnaltman likes this.
  7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Mid 30s.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. johnaltman

huh, older than me. thought you were probably younger

9. johnaltman

self-titled. yours?

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  10. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

A similar thing: I put weight on once (I've always been slim), and whenever it was mentioned to me I'd say "yes, I'm a fatty", and then later, I lost weight again. But I had no problem acknowledging I was a fatty for a while. Other people get offended by that word. I think it's daft taking offence over things like that. It didn't bother me when I was a fatty (even though I didn't like being one), and the term "dad rock" doesn't bother me, even though I listen to some dad rock bands.

johnaltman likes this.
  11. JohnnyQuest

It's tough. There's so many. Hmm. I'm going with my first, that's "Like a Virgin". It contains one of my all time favorite songs.

12. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

We can leave it at that, each has had his say.

13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

:wantsome:

14. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

She's not too bad in Desperately Seeking Susan. Basically playing herself. Or what her image was as the time, at least. It's a pretty average movie, though.

bluejeanbaby and Bowieboy like this.
  15. JohnnyQuest

How was she perceived in the mid 80's? The mall rat type?

16. Bobby Morrow

I don't know what that means.:laugh:

She was seen as a bit cheeky and rude. Obviously she'd beat you up if you crossed her.:D That was how I saw her anyway.

johnaltman, bob60 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  17. JohnnyQuest

Funny how some things never change. ;)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I think DSS is a great snapshot of mid-80s NYC. Madonna basically being Madonna of course improves it, but it's a nice atmospheric piece of a time and place long gone. Rosanna was good in it as well.

DSS was the only point where people thought she had promise as a movie star... and then she did Shanghai Surprise lol

johnaltman and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

She was very different to the majority of female pop acts of the time. They very much played by the rules. Madonna just didn't seem to care what she said or did. She was a breath of fresh air in that respect. Young people responded to her rebellious nature. Plus, the music was great too.

20. Bobby Morrow

I've not seen it since it was released. I do recall Rosanna doing most of the donkey work in the film. I think it's remembered here as being the movie that gave us Into The Groove. It was a #1 single on the back of the film.

21. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Madonna started out doing punk, but her debut album is R&B and dance-pop. Please stop. You're just embarrassing yourself.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  22. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

True. It really was Rosanna Arquette's movie and Madonna's character just comes in and out throughout the film but it focused mostly on Roberta (Rosanna).

But even though she was only onscreen for about 25 minutes, she stole the film because she basically was just "being Madonna" in it. She was so cool back then and how could you not love some of her getups in the movie... like when she is basically in nothing more than lingerie and a man's button up shirt when she gets out of the car.

To me, it's her best movie because it really captures her right at the advent of her career and was a movie that owed a lot to her style and attitude. She was just so cool back then

23. Bobby Morrow

Can't disagree with any of that.

24. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Madonna's scenes are the only ones worth watching. What a dull film. Y'all know which Madonna movie is my favorite. :love::love::love:

25. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

But then again, I admittedly have watched Who's That Girl more than enough times to even count, so I'm not the judge of her movies, since I always loved that one too, but aware at how cheesy and poorly written it is, but she's just so over the top and funny in it.

bluejeanbaby and johnaltman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.