Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Yes. He's mostly quiet during the exchange, interjecting the occasional comment (which is not all that audible) but (IIRC) when Crosby says of Mike, "He always does the same thing" (i.e., says he doesn't like the music until he masters it), McGuinn pipes up: "So do you, man, it's really a drag..." and Crosby then rips into McGuinn about his ego. McGuinn retaliates and Usher gets involved. This is just before take 12 of "Dolphin's Smile."

No-one comes off well during that argument. Crosby, Mike, Hillman sounds belligerent, McGuinn sounds bored and detached, even Usher (who's doing his best to keep the band together) sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about: "Why don't you play a cross between a shuffle and a jazz waltz, Mike?"

Lost In The Flood and Mike Bass like this.
  2. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Has anybody put together an alternate version of NBB? I would think Bound To Fall and Triad would be on it.....

3. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident

My alternate version of The Notorious Byrd Brothers has "Triad", "Moog Raga", and "Lady Friend" placed in the middle between "Get To You" and "Change Is Now".

4. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Mike Clarke is in that video, throughout, not the performance part, but the other parts.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yes, Clarke appears in the long middle segment that was pre-recorded earlier at various outside locations. But he's not in the "live" part of the performance, ie when they are miming the song in front of a live audience in the TV studio. That's what I meant.

Since McGuinn and Clark seem to be wearing the same clothes in both segments, the pre-recorded footage was presumably taped the same day as the part in front of an audience, which makes it even more peculiar. Hillman presumably was not available/sick/out of town, but something must have happened to make Clarke take off in the interim between segments. Was there some sort of argument that caused him to storm out?

6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The Byrds argue or fight? I've never heard of such a thing!

Earscape, D.B. and Maggie like this.
  7. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

That is EXACTLY what I do, in that exact order!

D.B. and Mike Bass like this.
  8. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident

You've got good taste! ;) Since I've made that sequence, it's my go to version. I need to hear Crosby's signature edge and that legendary moog :p

9. Untitled

Untitled Forum Resident

I'm not sure I would have changed anything on that album had I been in charge, except perhaps replace "Space Odyssey" with something else. I read somewhere in the Forums that Crosby had been writing "Laughing" around the time of his separation from the Byrds, so maybe that song would have sounded good at the end of side two if he had not been fired.

10. ShockControl

Crosby is on so much of the album as it is, that adding two of his originals really cements his presence on the album.

Mike Bass likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Where are all The Byrds SACDs ?
    It's 2016 !!!

12. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I could never get through Moog Raga but I thought the mix on Never Before was vastly superior and really helped the track.

I wouldn't add anything to NBB myself, the bonus tracks were a little lacking on that reissue - I still hope Sundazed may bring out something with more. Man what I would give for a vocal version of Bound To Fall too!

13. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Does anybody have the SotR /TNBB vinyl twofer from 1976 (CBS 22040)? I'd appreciate any impressions on the sound quality..

14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

15. Dee Zee

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

watch Hillman's 1st song, starting about 1:45....

imagine McGuinn's 12 string playing a counter melody, and Crosby and McGuinn harmonizing. That would be the Byrds, going back in time even as they go forward. In other words: timeless. That would be what we're missing: 3 musicians who are still almost at the peak of their abilities and what little they've lost in terms of physical ability they more than make up for in lived experience.

18. Dee Zee

I was relistening to the Croz album today which is a decent outing but David's voice is no longer the powerhouse it once was. I would think most singers in their 7th decade have issues. McCartney sure does. How was Crosby live on those shows he did a while back? Anybody here go?

19. Maggie

20. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

totally random, but i've been really digging a nice version of the 1969 boston teaparty show, so i made some art to go with it.

[​IMG]

D.B., Hep Alien, mark renard and 3 others like this.
  21. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

I was delighted when I found this out recently. I'm a big Kanye fan and it's really cool to think of him sampling something somewhat Gene related on one of his highest regarded records.

Lost In The Flood and Maggie like this.
  22. Maggie

The other thing that's striking about Kanye's borrowing of "You Showed Me" for "Gorgeous" is the bizarre credits in the booklet. The source tune is credited twice -- once as "You Showed Me," by Gene Clark and Roger McGuinn ("used with permission"), crediting Gene's publisher, and then again as "You Showed Me," by Roger McGuinn and Gene Clark (!), crediting what I assume is McGuinn's publisher. I couldn't find a reproduction of the liner notes online, but the redundant credit certainly suggests that the bad vibrations continue between the McGuinn and Clark camps. @Clarkophile, this seems to be your area...

I should also note (contrary to what it says online) that there is no credited (or audible) sample of the Turtles' version of the tune -- the only acknowledgment is to the "portions" of the Clark/McGuinn "composition" that have been used. Frankly, I think Kanye could have gotten away with the inspiration without a credit, but it's nice to see anyway.

picassoson and Clarkophile like this.
  23. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Don't mean to hijack any conversation, but I didn't really want to start a new thread for this...

In regards to the Legacy expanded remaster series that started in 1996 (the single disc versions, plus the bonus disc for Untitled), why are the last few titles so hard to find? I have six titles from this series - three from 1996, two from '97, and the Untitled/Unissued set from 2000. From what I can find, the first eight albums were released in two batches of four, one in '96 and the second in '97. I'm assuming that the last three (excluding the reunion album which I believe is the only studio album not in this series) were all from 2000?

I'm only wondering because I happened to notice on Discogs that Farther Along is going for a minimum of $30, and Byrdmaniax also seems pretty uncommon. I picked up the two-disc Untitled set for like fifteen bucks in a record shop... is this one more common than the others? Are they out of print? Did they have limited runs? Appreciate all help.

24. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I'm sorry, Maggie, I didn't see this till now.
    I'm unaware of any friction between the Clark estate and McGuinn. Might the notation simply be a redundancy that went overlooked?

25. ShockControl

Aren't these remasters the versions that are in the Original Album Series?

Byrds - Original Album Classics - Amazon.com Music »