The Monkees Good Times (1CD)-New 2016 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Feb 4, 2016.

1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Preordered!

BeatleStair, D-rock and ssmith3046 like this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Love both of the songs that I've heard. Really looking forward to this album.

3. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Think this Tues there'll be another track released? Hope it's a Nez track. Or even a Tork track.

4. Saving my ears for the album launch. Two was good enough for me to get a sense of what's going on with the project. I broke my own rules by listening to those tracks anyhow. I'll be back around then though.

Robber Soul, FJFP and cuddlytoy like this.
  5. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident

The word I would use to describe the tracks I've heard so far is . . . charming. They really send me back to better days in more certain times in the Monkees' '60s. I listen to these songs and think about my kids, now grown. I hope I gave them a childhood they'll one day think about like I think about mine! Bring on the whole album!

6. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I like what I hear so far but better than either of the first two LPs
    let alone the third or fourth? Are you kidding? Remember how
    stoked people were for "Justus", y'know, the LP or CD that's
    now gathering dust on your shelf?

Kirshner may have been a d!ck, but he did know pop. Well.
    Got the best pickers in the business, too. That's why those
    songs are iconic, Monkee players or not.

bubba-ho-tep, kwadguy and action pact like this.
  7. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

The main difference is that these two songs alone are better than the entirety of "Justus" and "Pool It" put together..... IMHO. :)

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  8. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Not only is "You and I" better, it sounds as if a "Headquarters" outtake.
    I like the new stuff though, much better than what I expected.

Speaking of "Justus", I love the backing track to "I Believe", but the lyrics ...

Tork auditioned a newer tune during a Monkees tour back in The Late '90s,
    and I recall it being ska or reggae. Quite good! Anyone know what I'm on
    about? I think it may have been used on one of his solo things, possibly
    his Shoe Suede Blues project.

9. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member Thread Starter

You can expect the bonus tracks to an exclusive iTunes deluxe will be album only and not sold individually. They always are

10. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Ditto!

Disraeli Gears and rstamberg like this.
  11. sean4554

sean4554 Forum Resident

>>Tork auditioned a newer tune during a Monkees tour back in The Late '90s,
    and I recall it being ska or reggae. Quite good! Anyone know what I'm on
    about? I think it may have been used on one of his solo things, possibly
    his Shoe Suede Blues project.<<

I think you may be referring to 'Sea Change', which I saw the Monkees perform on the 1996 tour. It had already appeared on Tork's solo album 'Stranger Things Have Happened". It possibly had a bit of that ska flavor at the concert (I can't remember much other than Davy playing the eggs on that one).

12. I'm looking forward to this. I think Andy Partridge is more excited than anyone else here.

pablo fanques and PhoffiFozz like this.
  13. cuddlytoy

cuddlytoy Forum Resident

Today show too. Al Roker is a mega Monkees fan.

905, Wingsfan2012 and Hutch like this.
  14. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Just preordered mine!!

rstamberg, Deano6 and Disraeli Gears like this.
  15. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

I had just started my radio career at a very green 16 when That Was Then came out. My PD knew I was a HUGE Monkee nut and allowed me to be the first jock in the Hudson Valley to spin it on the air! Not only that, but it wasn't even the true promo, but a blank white label with "Monkees" and "That was then..." written in red felt tip pen! When the station flipped format 6 months later, it was given to me as a gift and remains in my collection to this day. I have to dig it out and post a pic here

Galley, 905, Wingsfan2012 and 5 others like this.
  16. pablo fanques

Reminds me of Andy's Dukes of Stratosphear material in the mid 80's in the BEST possible way, especially the psychedelic fadeout. Feel free to check out "Mole in the Ministry" on youtube and pay particular attention to the false ending fading back in. Very cool!

17. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I think YBT Summer,sounds a lot more like Mayor of Simpleton 2 or Spiral than the Dukes stuff. The Dukes stuff sounds more like Syd Barrett led Pink Floyd or Procul Harem.

QUESTION

We've heard 2 new recordings written for this project. But in terms of unfinished tracks from the 60s, written by Nilsson, Carol King & others. What has been done to them, to Spruce them up. How did they sonically match a 1967-8 recording done on an 8 track recorder, so it will fit with new modern cuts like She Makes Me Laugh.

I mean, say they had a backing track on say 2 tracks with say Carol Kaye on bass,Hal Blaine on drums & Glen Campbell on guitar or whatever. Did they overdub new drums with a modern sound in stereo playing along to Hal Blaines original part, or did they cut all new backing, what generally did they do so it all sounds homogeneous as an album

Can beatlestair or anyone else comment on how they blended 50 year old recordings with brand new recordings, sonically

One more question for beatlestair, or anyone that's heard the whole album. Someone said, if I remember, that the Tork bonus track, was one of the real gems. When you talk about the 4 tracks you like better than YBT Summer & She Makes Me Laugh, do you mean only the 13 tracks on the standard edition, or do those 4 favorites include bonus tracks ? Thanks in advance

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Mike Visco likes this.
  18. pablo fanques

Other than tributes or the Matthew Sweet/Susanna Hoffs covers, has Andy ever written a song specifically for another act? This could be a first

19. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

Such a shame that Barnes & Noble Vinyl isn't available in the UK. If I were to order it here, hecause it costs more than £15 I'll have to pay about £10 import charges, then there's also shipping. Vinyl for the US is usually another £10 so it'll cost about £38 ($55) for two extra songs!

Sadly I'll have to give this a miss. How annoying :(

FJFP likes this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

The hypothetical "deluxe" version you're describing is what they should be offering right now...

monkeetrade likes this.
  21. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

August 12th for the vinyl! (courtesy amazon)

22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I think as far as making new and old songs gel lies mainly in how the drums do sound. So far with the two tracks released, I don't think they went out of their way to get a modern drum sound where everything sounds tight and close. They sound like the old school method of placing a few microphones around the kit.

23. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I just listened to the new songs again.

The Andy Partridge song is catchy as heck - I've always liked XTC.

The Rivers Cuomo song, on the other hand, is by-the-numbers power pop, and just makes my teeth hurt. A little too precious for my liking.

kwadguy and Hall Cat like this.
  24. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member Thread Starter

Adam Schlesinger and John Hughes just visited the Zilch podcast. Noted info from their interviews
    -There will be another single released "very soon"
    -Nez is ALL OVER the album- after meeting with Nez at his home pre production Mike became very involved
    -Nez sings call back vocals opposite Micky on Me & Magdalena
    -Me & Magdalena was such a fun song there will be 2 different versions, in 2 different arrangements released- iTunes Deluxe
    -Birth of The Accidental Hipster- sung by Micky and Mike-the one song that Mike was very involved in its concept. This track is said to be the center piece for the album.
    -Good Times track- the only modern instrumentation- guitar by Adam Schlesinger
    -Whatever's Right and and Gotta Give It Time- Garage band feel
    -Peter sings a lot of back ground vocals and plays many instruments on the album
    -Adam Schlesinger said everyone he comes in contact with, the songwriters, the musicians, and his peers are all very positive about the album and excited
    -10 days to record the backing tracks, overdubs from there
    -This album was not a case of The Monkees just coming in, doing what they were told- all of them brought ideas to the album. Neither would have done anything, had it not been something they wanted to do.
    -Backing tracks were captured live in the room, playing all at once
    -Nez was asked to bring ideas and he did.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  25. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Yep but with the 30 and younger's buying so few CD's these days, it is the over 30's that the record companies will get to buy the same album more than once to boost sales!