Madonna. Yay or Nay.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Erotica era :love:

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  2. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Won't lie, I really like Desperately Seeking Susan. It's a nostalgia trip for me, I always watch it when it's on TV.

johnaltman, bluejeanbaby and Bowieboy like this.
  3. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

The issue with Katy Perry is that she's not an artist. She doesn't actually create anything. Swift's issue is that she traded in her creativity for celebrity, and whereas she used to write songs like "Mean," she's up there being a smug little jerk, pointing the finger, and singing Max Martin trash about cool she is and how other girls aren't. Swift is pathetic.

Neither will ever be Madonna. The only one who came close to Madonna's smarts combined with creativity was Robyn, but lord knows what happened there...

Bowieboy likes this.
  4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

No. Unless you think being a dad, or being from an older generation is a bad thing. I don't.
    Why did you mention 'tranny' while asking about Rebel Heart?

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

:edthumbs::goodie:Loved Madonna big 1983--1987.

Still like her today with deluxe

Rebel Heart [CD + Bonus CD][Super Deluxe Edition][Ex Madonna - Rebel Heart [CD + Bonus CD][Super Deluxe Edition][Ex - Amazon.com Music »

Still spin that original Sire 1983 vinyl.
    Burned it to cd and sounds monstrous... Love Jellybean Benitez, Mark Kamins, Reggie Lucas production work on that 1st lp and just TOTALLY love the cowbell..
    That Madonna 1 lp has a very thick sound...my Lord 33 years later..where did it go.. Remember Everybody 12 ' single in the clubs and at parties late 1982 early 1983....

Madonna (Madonna album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Nay

i do own her first album
    on cassette

7. The7thStranger

"Tranny" has become a slur.

Bowieboy likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I think every pop singer from Cyndi Lauper onwards has been called 'the next Madonna'.

None of them ever are though, are they.:)

johnaltman and JohnnyQuest like this.
  9. The7thStranger

It also comes back to June Christy. All these pop ho's would not and could not.

10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I thought that they arrived at about the same time, and there was some rivalry over who had the image first (wearing undergarments as outer garments)?

11. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

What about Cyndi Lauper? She had a mega album in the 80s, She's So Unusual, that rivals anything Madonna did.

12. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

As a pop icon......Yay

As an actress.......Nay

13. Bobby Morrow

Probably true. But Lauper was the first one I thought of.:) Madonna was so huge then it's hard to remember any of the other female singers of the day.

bob60 likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

I'll let @JohnnyQuest field this one.:D

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Gosh, some of this reminds of me of Madonna drama that was already forgotten. She forced herself too much on the public. It seemed like "Truth or Dare," The Sex book and "Erotica" were all in pretty much rapid succession. It was so in your face that it had the opposite of the desired effect - it wasn't sexy. It was sleazy, kind of like Times Square during the early 80's.

Tanx and Phasecorrect like this.
  16. Phasecorrect

Whitney Houston was also a dominant force in the 80s, one could argue she was the female Jacko.

17. The7thStranger

Trouble is she didn't write most of it and hand almost no control over her career until 1993.

18. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Oh no, don't go there! Now you're going to have some people saying the same thing about Madonna! :winkgrin:

19. Bobby Morrow

Whitney sold a hell of a lot of records, but I don't think she made the impact Madonna did. Whitney was very MOR. Especially on her first 2 albums. Of course, she then went and ruined it and became a raging drug addict.

Bowieboy likes this.
  20. Phasecorrect

Well, she got it right once with Unusual. Side 1 is flawless, covers and all. Shes a far superior singer to Madonna.

21. Phasecorrect

I believe she outsold Madonna in her prime which is no small feat. She was a great vocalist with often at times subpar material. Janet Jackson also became an iconic figure in '86 with Control.

22. The7thStranger

She's a far superior vocalist giving the range alone, but I'd say both are on par in terms of emoting ability. She's So Unusual is a great album, but I think she lost her footing until Hat Full of Stars. Overall, Cyndi's discography is rather patchy, though.

Bowieboy likes this.
  23. Phasecorrect

I only bothered with Unusual. I knew she would never top it. One of those rare albums. I did like the 'True colors" single tho.

24. The7thStranger

I prefer A Night to Remember to Unusual, but in some ways, you're right.

25. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Your tone speaks for itself. I was invited by the OP to indicate yea or nay and said why. If you are confident you are right, you shouldn't need to use phraseology as above. Madonna is not a punk act, nor made her career and reputation with that kind of music. You also don't seem to understand the point I am making, which is that yea or nay for me - your standard may vary - means an act that fits in the 5% I mentioned. Most punk doesn't, so it's not relevant anyway. I mentioned the Pistols as an example of a band in the 5%, it happened to be punk. And the 5% is timeless, it has nothing to with dad's whatever that means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.