I'll probably be banned for this: I bought a Crosley

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ghostworld, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

It's fantastic I would have bought it for sure, wouldn't play anything precious on it though. It'd be like returning to my childhood. just need some kali for an heavenly experience.

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Not to threadcrap, but ...*

Is it not a myth, that young people are buying all this new vinyl for $20-40 a pop, then playing it on Crosleys?

I refuse to believe that contemporary humans are that bonkers.

*Dead giveaway that threadcrap is imminent!

3. Last edited: May 5, 2016
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a nice mini Electrolux I grabbed for compactness, now I have a turntable (the best think about this Crosley is it has a rubber mat on the platter just the size of the label and run-out, which will be perfect for cleaning. I think I need one of those 3D printed nozzles now. I'm waiting for someone to come out with a cheaper version than that guy in Canada.

5. Schwinnparamount

Schwinnparamount Forum Resident

To quote Joe Strummer from Sandinista: "It's sledgehammer time!"

Gavinyl likes this.
  6. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Gonna bite my tongue mate !

7. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

It looks cool (from a distance) and that is why it sells. It's a shame that there is so little care for quality and all those people will just lose interest after a while. Does it exist anything similar but with a decent quality? My 3 year old (soon 4) loves the concept of record players and he sure would love to have a portable 7" player when he gets a little older. Something that could handle old cheap 45's without breaking them?

8. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

There's a local record store that has a listening bar and they swapped out their vintage turntable/receiver rigs for the cheaper, low maintenance Crosleys. So that's what you would use to play test a $19.99 used copy of Led Zeppelin III.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

It has long been written that as the end of days approaches, madness shall overtake human kind.

bhazen likes this.
  10. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Another fine video from RadioTVPhonoNut:

MMM, SandAndGlass, richbdd01 and 2 others like this.
  11. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Think of all the tweaks and upgrades.

I mean, how difficult would it be to fit it with a cheap, low compliance Shure cart, and sneak a Radio Shack phono pre into some dead space inside for proper gain?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

that was insufferable.

MikeInFla and NaturalD like this.
  13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Are there not a myriad better record players being manufactured these days?
    Why the fascination with the Crosley?

14. Some folks want an all in one for under $150. Crosley is one of the only and they sell a ton of them. They are the obvious target from folks here.

15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

The "Crosley" that's putting out the junk is not the "Crosley" that built that history. A company called Modern Marketing Concepts bought the Crosley name in 1984. It's the same story as Emerson, and to some extent TEAC; money grubbers buy the badge and slap it on junk.

Gumboo and nosliw like this.
  16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

And it's hipster ready. All you need is an armful of LPs, some Turkish cigarettes and head down to your local pub or Starbucks and man will you make a statement. Get a little goatee goin' first, though.

17. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

Clickbait title of the week. You know your audience.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

FYI, conversion done. I now have a beautifully working motorized Crosley RCM. Attach one mini ElectroLux and viola! Here it is: $5 Crosley and $6.35 cents worth of parts from Lowes. $4 strip of velvet from a fabric store (a 1/2 yard remnant, I used like one inch) and it works great. Spreads the cleaning fluid nice (I'm using my MOFI ONE cleaning fluid) and sucks it perfectly dry. My smartest move was the 3-way 3/8" hose barb adapter which lets me control the degree of suction. I just need to put some dabs of epoxy and a little matching paint to clean it up (drilled the hole for the hose barb too close at first go). Waste not, want not Crosley!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  19. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

That's amazing!

Ghostworld likes this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

You turned a useless item which blew, to a useful item that sucks that dirt off of your records. Finally a way to make a Crosley useful for something. Major likes!

21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes, a lot of young people buy new vinyl than playing it on Crosleys

Dr Jackson likes this.
  22. BradOlson

The OEM company for much of the crap that Crosley puts out is a company called Leetac in China.

23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ya, I bought one too for ****s & giggles, but since I do not really play records anymore, it was good enough for me.... :biglaugh:

Mazzy likes this.
  24. BradOlson

@chadbang make a YouTube video of this machine cleaning

Dr Jackson likes this.
  25. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

Thanks for taking one for the team! Had some good laughs and understand why not to buy a Crosley What you ultimately do use it for is pretty great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.