Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Radio and TV was never going to play the religious-themed music or the long instrumentals. But I'm glad he made all that long instrumental stuff. It was an interesting diversion. And TRC was a difficult listen lyrically if you are not down with his Biblical interpretations, but it was a tremendous musical journey.

bunglejerry likes this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

:D

3. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

I wonder if Prince put down his wishes for all his unreleased material or possibly even something of a will on one of those reels of tape in The Vault.

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I have a feeling that is going to be a mess for a long time. Relatives are going to milk that for all its worth, if given the chance. Im hoping that Prince did a Prince though and has the last laugh. Whatever he wanted as an artist I hope he gets even in death. Its his creations not ours and not theirs.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

6. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Does it have that ping-pong ball sample that he used seemingly incessantly?

(I'm actually not sure it's a ping-pong ball, but I don't know how else to describe it)

enro99 likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Dunno. I'm on an Amtrak train beside the Missouri River, and consider it a miracle of modern technology that I'm able to post the link at all. I'll not press my luck by trying to download the actual sample pack. I'll leave that to those who are not moving at 74 miles per hour through the rich farmland of the breadbasket of our nation.

8. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

A bit disappointed in Prince- apparently he would preach the value of vegetarianism and basically anything you are putting into your body, which I thought was fine, but then to find out he's eating pills like candy is not cool. Pain isn't an excuse, he was touring, staying up 6 days straight still working hard,, fact is Prince ultimately didn't know how to take care of himself in a healthy way which contradicts what he was about.

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Which means he was human, after all.

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Where does that guitar go?!?!

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Damnitt, I know right? That bugs me. Hes like Prince Copperfield all the sudden.

On the Arsenio Hall show he does a similar thing with the mic and stand. He just tosses it backwards and it disappears. Im sure its tricky camera work, but did he do that in concert also? Anyone see that live with no camera trickery possible?

12. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

This reminded me of the quote from the Cherry Moon era, "Who will tell a star?" I think it was someone involved in the movie, basically saying that when someone is surrounded by people accustomed to doing their bidding, it's very tough for anyone to step up and tell it to them straight.

13. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Have we found that out?

14. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Prince ain't happy with all this speculation. Hoffmanites flee....
    [​IMG]

Apologizes for using tragedy for a cheap gag.

sunspot42, EVOLVIST and zebop like this.
  15. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Shoulda listened to the guy who did that song about "thrills and pills and daffodils will kill..."

If this all turns out to be true, so very, very sad.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I would laugh if there was a signed legal document from Prince in there that said everything had to be burned, it would pain me not to be able to listen to everything but it would stop the vultures in their tracks (although im sure they'll make their sheckles with reissues, tribuets...etc)

17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the river of addiction flows, you think its hot.....
    just listening to that last night

EVOLVIST and Peace N. Love like this.
  18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Percocet is oxycodone mixed with acetaminophen, so it is still a narcotic, used for chronic pain treatment, and a controlled substance and highly addictive.

What amazes me is how people give these types of narcotics to just anyone, often to relieve stress. Two women at work: Woman 1: Man, have been in pain and need to just sleep.
    Woman 2: Here, I have an extra Percocet or Oxycontin.

People do this even more with Valium. Although Valium, which is classified as Benzodiazepine, is not a narcotic, is still freely passed among people who don't have prescriptions for it.

19. Cubbiegirl

Cubbiegirl Forum Resident

Ok ... I watched a show last night on youtube that was done right after he passed .
    Maybe 20/20 ?
    I dont watch much television...
    Anyway , apparently the studio had Travolta in mind for the lead for Purple Rain ?
    Travolta ??
    How did i miss this ...
    Ewwwwww

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  20. arem

arem Forum Resident

Don't forget, Dale Bozzio of Missing Persons released a solo record on Paisley Park back in the day. That isn't totally out of the blue.

Dflow, bunglejerry and TonyCzar like this.
  21. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

From what I can figure, and I've read most of the articles linked in the last couple of days all the way through....from what I figure it's that he really didn't want people around him to know how dire his circumstances were. But I think he himself began to realize in the last couple weeks before he passed.

I think he didn't want others to know the seriousness. He felt bad about what he found himself in, -frankly, the midst of addiction. It took time for him to realize. Why, you ask. It's what we hear - that because it's prescription we tend to think it's ok to take.

Exactly. I say he figured that out. So perhaps he became ashamed of himself that he allowed himself to get so caught up in taking the prescription(s?). It finally dawned on him he needed help and needed to tell others/agree to get qualified drs involved, when it began to finally affect his work and performances. (According to on article, it had been more than 25 years since he last cancelled/postponed a performance!) Unfortunately, tragically, it was a day late and a dollar short.
    Omg.
    RIP Prince!

zobalob, enro99, Grant and 2 others like this.
  22. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

23. Grant

24. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Like candy? I dunno. Enough to kill him, yes. Either way it was too much

25. Grant

Because, you cannot force anyone to stay in a hospital against their will, and you cannot force supervision on anyone.

Stormrider77, ralphb and Nostaljack like this.