Bobby Womack - best sounding cds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Porkpie, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone have any experience with the various cds available of his early 70s material? I've seen a series of two for ones, a remastered boxset the Preacher and individual albums on capitol and emi. Anyone fans here have any preference?

2. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Not to threadcrap but it bugs me that we still not have a complete concert version of 'The Womack Live' as the edited version was part of the The Preacher Charly boxset, e.g. like all previous releases. Tremendous concert and it deserves a complete release!

3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are there any Bobby Womack fans here with his music on CD?

4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I'm a fan but I only have his stuff on LPs. I would love to find out more about the CD releases myself.

5. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

• Yeah! I have a compilation, which is a good overview and ‘Communication’, ‘Facts of Life’, and 'BW Does C&W’ which was his country album on CDs. Oh, and The Preacher II but it’s of dubious merit to these ears. But also ‘Communication’, ‘Facts of Life’ on vinyl which were my introduction to Womack, way back. One must recommend Ronnie Wood’s ‘Now Look’ as i believe Bobby produced, performed and wrote much of that w/ Woody. A great record, his best in my opinion and Womack’s soul n’ influence permeates the thing. Time of life, emotional attachments, etc. don’t hurt my estimation either. Music is like that, don’t we know it. But experience, in what way? They all sound pretty good as his music is warm in nature to begin with. I’ve never done an A/B comparison but I don’t think you’d get anything dodgy going on, per say.

6. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

I haven’t heard the 2012 Damon Albarn produced Womack's ’The Bravest Man in the Universe’, swan song release yet, but intend to search that out one day...

7. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I don't know about sound quality on the CDs since I have the original vinyl records but in terms of content all the early 70s albums are well worth getting, such as Communication and Understanding; so iare the early 80s comeback albums Poet I and II, and the 2012 Bravest Man in the Universe collaboration with ex-Blur Damon Albarn. But the early 70s four album run is where to start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.