Upcoming Marvel Universe Film Schedule and discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

FYI, I'm not sure where you got that graphic, but that is not something official from Marvel.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's out there. I just grabbed it and linked it. Not my graphic.

It's fair to say these are movies that have been discussed, and they clearly interchange Marvel movies from Fox, Sony, and Disney/Marvel. But I would bet there have been meetings on every one of them. At the last Disney stockholders meeting, they said their ultimate goal is to have at least 2 major Marvel films out every year and three TV series, and I think it's turning into more than that (partly because of Fox and Netflix).

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Avengers: Infinity War - Part I

4. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I realize my wording was ambiguous. I didn't mean to include the Infinity War pictures in my statement "nothing like this was ever in production." Note the fan chart has Infinity War as a separate movie not connected to the Avengers (and Avengers 3 is called Civil War in the mockup and the Ultron story is an Ant-Man movie). Although an Infinity War movie has been in the offing since at least the planning stages of Guardians of the Galaxy, and probably since the planning stages of the first Avengers, the slate was never going to look like the imaginary one on the fan chart.

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Still tied up with Fox, I believe. The character was in the second Fantastic Four movie.

6. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Now that the Inhumans movie has been pulled from it's release schedule, here's speculating that Marvel and Fox could be working on a deal similar to Sony with regards to Spider-Man there. Seeing as the Infinity War movies are estimated to feature up to 67 characters, what say they could utilise Wolverine in the MCU along with other X-Men like Xavier, Cyclops etc. But of all that though I'd prefer the Fantastic Four, Doctor Doom, Silver Surfer, Galactus among other cosmic characters/affiliations etc such as Kang, Annihilus, the Super Skrulls, The Shi'ar and more being involved too. I do dream of a Post-Credits scene involving say the F4 re-emerging after a great number of years for example, and I'd love for a Doom origin movie as well. Seeing as there are movies in 2020 that are currently untitled, what's to say the F4 etc could be among those. And after X-Men Apocalypse, this could be a great time to reboot the X-Men along with Wolverine so they can get to exist in the MCU much like Spider-Man (and the Hulk to a lesser extent).

And going back to a potential MCU F4 film, I'm hearing the rights to Namor the Submariner is no longer owned by Universal, so there's another origin to establish right there. Now if only Universal would give up the Hulk so we can finally see a solo movie dealing with The Leader or something. :)

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

As many of you may or may not heard, Brie Larson landed the role of Captain Marvel.
    [​IMG]

Maggie likes this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm really looking forward to this one.

[​IMG]

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

I'd see that cast in any film, that it's GOTG 2 is just a bonus!

Deuce66 and alexpop like this.
  10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

How many times can aliens threaten the earth? Let's say Galactus shows up and says 'o.k. everyone behave or I eat up the earth (with the moon as a chaser)", so there's no more crime and all the supes have to get day jobs. Hulk teaches at a Community College, perhaps "Intro to English Romantic Poets" (Hulk no like Bryon's stilted meter). Captain America coaches Frisbee golf ("dude, like your shield sliced off all the goals"); Perhaps Thor has a cooking show, though regretfully when tenderizing a pork loin he also tenderizes the entire set. ooops. Sub Mariner would be an awesome life guard "Namor decrees there shall be no more Cannonballs or thou shall be banned from the pool area for eternity. Or at least June." Spidey might take up his natural calling as a night club comic "seriously ladies and gentlemen, know why do many spiders work in IT? Because we're all web designers..." etc

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Watcher was a lovable chrome dome bald villian, another FF adversary.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Here's your perfect casting for The Watcher.

[​IMG]

Wounded Land and alexpop like this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A head start in the casting choice. :)

14. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

15. BeatleJWOL

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

These comic book movies are going to eventually become really tiresome with audiences.

17. Dr. Pepper

Sure, but when? One of them with horrible reviews just earned a 135 million opening weekend.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  18. BeatleJWOL

Cool?

I'm going to see most of em until they do, so...

19. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Apparently Avengers Infinity War will be only one movie, not two.

Marvel’s ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Will be One Movie, Not Two »

"Disney has confirmed that it will make only one “Avengers: Infinity” movie rather than the two it had announced previously.

Disney said on Friday that it still plans to release Marvel’s “Avengers: Infinity War” as planned on May 4, 2018. But what was slated to be the second part in that story, “Avengers: Infinity War Part II,” has now been renamed as an “Untitled Avengers” project while retaining the May 3, 2019 release date.

The two “Infinity War” movies were announced together in October, 2014, with both directed by Anthony and Joe Russo. Two months ago, the Russo brothers told the Uproxx site that the third and fourth Avengers were being retitled in part to clarify that the films would be two separate films rather than one large film split in half.

Production of “Avengers: Infinity War” is expected to begin later this year. The Russos are directing from a script by the writing team of Christopher Marcus and Stephen McFeely with a back story based on immensely powerful Infinity Gems described in various Marvel stories.

The Russo brothers directed “Captain America: Winter Soldier” and “Captain America: Civil War,” which became 2016’s top worldwide grosser with $1.16 billion. Joss Whedon directed 2012’s “The Avengers” and 2015’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron.”

The two “Avengers” films have grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide. “The Avengers” is the fifth highest grosser of all time at $1.52 billion and “Age of Ultron” is the seventh highest at $1.41 billion.

Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner starred in both movies. Downey and Renner have been confirmed to appear in “Infinity Wars.”

20. Dr. Pepper

That really sounds like more of a skirmish to me, and I'd put my money on Ironman, unless Clint has some really impressive arrows this time! Maybe some kind of can opener arrow or something?

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I hope they don't forget the Raccoon! Everybody loves the Raccoon!

Read this article:

Why The Blockbuster Movie Bubble Will Burst In 2018 »

Avengers: Infinity War, Ready Player One, Pacific Rim 2, Aquaman, Toy Story 4, Deadpool 2, Black Panther, The Flash, How To Train Your Dragon 3, Ant-Man And The Wasp, Jurassic World 2, The Predator, Fifty Shades Freed, Jungle Book: Origins, Mary Poppins Returns, Tomb Raider, Alita: Battle Angel, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 2, The Secret Life Of Pets 2, an animated Spider-Man movie, Hotel Transylvania 3, The Wolf Man, Wreck-It Ralph 2, the Star Wars Han Solo spinoff, the Transformers Bumblebee spinoff, Maze Runner: The Death Cure, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, Gigantic, Madagascar 4, Independence Day 3, Gambit, The Invisible Man, Venom, Uprising, Mission: Impossible 6.

These are all coming out in the same year, 2018. Almost every one is either a sequel, a remake, a comic book movie, or two or more out of three. As the article says: 2018 will see the release over 40 massive, tentpole movies. There are nearly 20 releases that happen exactly a week apart.

If they added a Cars animated sequel, another Fast & Furious movie, and another Armageddon, it'd be complete. :eek:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  22. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

"The city is flying, we're fighting an army of robots, and I have a bow and arrow. None of this makes sense."

mark renard and Wounded Land like this.
  23. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

It's a technicality, but the comic book company that became Marvel Comics used the Marvel imprint before 1961 (not just for Marvel Mystery Comics).
    For a brief period in the 1940's Timely also tried out Marvel as a brand for all of their comics; here's an example:

[​IMG]

I know, ...I'm a stickler for the minutiae. :laugh:

Every genre that's hot chills over time, but well crafted, quality entertainment usually brings audiences back for more.
    Keeping winning series fresh for younger audiences without disappointing older audiences is what's challenging.

:cheers:
    Cat

24. balzac

balzac Senior Member

That is pretty unsettling. You have to figure not *all* of the execs are total idiots in the sense that they know not all of these films can succeed even if they're somehow all *really good* movies. They have to just be pretending to not know. The "one week and then it tanks" thing is already happening this year (and it's not new), so it looks like it'll be a bloodbath in 2018. Surely some of those films will still do well enough.

On top of all of those movies, the Star Wars "Episode 8" movie will have just premiered mid-December in 2017, so that HUGE film will eat into January of 2018 before that list of 2018 films even starts seeing releases.

I'm curious how firm all of those film release dates are for 2018. As the article points out, Warner scheduled two "tent pole" films for release on the same day?

Vidiot likes this.
  25. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't think the current "seemingly-nothing-but-$150-$200 million-budget-tent-pole-films" situation is super comparable to the simpler idea in the past of genres and fads in films fading over time. That is undoubtedly going on as well, but in some cases it's more the studios *profit* chilling more than audience interest.

"Batman v Superman" has made, whatever it is, $850 million worldwide, and it's considered a moderate failure. That many tickets sold means TONS of people went to see it.

So when we're talking about the bubble bursting, which I've agreed for several years now is going to happen, it turns out that the "bubble" has a little less to do with "audience interest" than I thought. There is still a willing audience for a lot of these films such that a few hundred million dollars worth of tickets can be sold. That's a TON of people wanting to see these films. The "bubble" is going to be the inflated budgets and expectations versus actual net profit for the studios.

If the current trend holds, the headline won't be (or at least shouldn't be even if it ends up being written this way) that "Audiences Finally Reject Big Budget Superhero Movies." The headline might end up needing to be "Studios Kill Big Budget Superhero Genre by Overspending."

I can't imagine another industry or job where you could gross nearly a billion dollars and still lose money or barely turn a profit, and still keep your job.

Vidiot and Stormrider77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.