Huey Lewis And The News "SPORTS" Big 80's Production, Commercial, But A Whole Lot of Fun....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Apr 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I can see all the videos now from endless viewings on MTV.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

:cop:
    Things haven't changed much in 30 + years. MTV than YouTube today...
    Killing over playing these videos than and now...

musicfan37 likes this.
  3. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

A guilty pleasure for me, for sure...I didn't think all that much of Sports when it was current, but looking back the
    hits sounded pretty darn good on the car radio or at the beach. I'll have to pick up a copy sometime.
    Bonus points for shooting the "If This Is It" video at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

:edthumbs:
    Dude AWESOME comments..Some times age, ages an album well...
    Glad ya have a different outlook on me SPORTS....

geo50000 likes this.
  5. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Hah, I just mentioned this album in the Metallica thread the other night. I bought it from a member here and decided to put it on the table, right after Kill 'Em All :) Man what a fun album. I was really young when it came out, 3 years old, but they were still playing stuff from it on the station my parents listened to when I was 8-9 years old. It's actually a bit of a bittersweet album as I remember hearing "This is It" once when my parents were arguing quite often. I associated that song with my parents fighting. Thankfully that all worked itself out and they're coming up on a 50-year anniversary in a few years. But beyond that "bitter" association, the rest of the album is fantastic, I had a ton of fun listening to it and can't wait to work back around to it again!

6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Dude AWESOME story... Had Kill'em All vinyl wore it out.....back in da mid 80's...along with me Sports and of course Lighting and Puppets ...

WilliamWes likes this.
  7. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Didn't think you'd be into Metallica-real cool. I'm a Metallica fan too.

I missed some pages on here, I'll have to go back and see some of the exchange. I mentioned 'Small World' earlier, how's Huey's 2001 album?

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Liked it. Big 80's production and still went smooth to my ears...

WilliamWes likes this.
  9. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I enjoyed it, and the original is a fantastic sounding CD

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

:goodie:
    AGREED

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  11. Psychedelic Good Trip

12. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

This is also one of those albums that I should have had, but didn't. I was pleasantly surprised at how great the sound was on the original CD, which I picked up locally for $1 : )

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

:edthumbs:
    SCORE

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

:bdance::goodie::wave::cheers:Just shoutin me News...

16. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Hey Mr. Good Trip, got to hear the debut a couple of days ago after years. It's so catchy, and while the middle sags a touch, it's really a fine debut and a solid album. It's simple and to the point and while 'Picture This' is more sophisticated, this easy going album gets in your head. "Trouble in Paradise" is top 3 for me for this band.

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Great tune...big 1980 debut..

OptimisticGoat and Benno123 like this.
  18. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Ha! Just like Hootie & the Blowfish in 1995 when I was in college. Saw them at a sub-1000 club in Feb '95. Then in the summer, saw them at the big pavillion, which probably held about 15-18k.

19. Scopitone

When this thread first came to my attention a few weeks back, I decided to order an 80's pressing CD since I don't own the album. Paid the dude on discogs.

A few days later, he refunded my money. He said the disc turned out to be damaged. I guess I am fortunate he cared to check. Still, I was kind of looking forward to getting the CD.

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Ain't old one...not bad though

Sports! [2 CD][30th Anniversary Edition] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C1SBBJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_hd-kxb4E61J84

Benno123 likes this.
  21. Scopitone

Disc 2 is live cuts of all the songs?

The 80's pressing isn't pricey (I think with shipping I paid about $9.99 before he returned my money). The problem was that by the time all that happened, I was into a personal challenge of not spending any money on books, music, or movies for a month. So I couldn't re-order it from someone else! :laugh:

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Disc 2 is all live cuts from Sports in the exact 9 track order of the album..

All recorded during 1983--1989 some say it was recorded so good that they think it was touched up a bit. Great live performances...

Kind a like the news own version of get yer ya yas out. Best sounding track for each tune of the Sports lp...

OptimisticGoat and Scopitone like this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I loved this album back in the day. Many fond memories sitting in Edgartown Harbor blasting the stereo on the boat as all the surrounding boats gave us dirty looks :winkgrin:.

Bill

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

:goodie::cussing:
    Hahahahah!!! Blast the Sports as I did on winter nights with my cheap boombox with my window wide open annoying the neighbors, while letting out much needed heat for my room... My Folks were not happy...

OptimisticGoat and Bill Mac like this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

:pineapple::cop::goodie:Just shoutin the News

Joey_Corleone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.