Radiohead. Burn the witch. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by It's Felix, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

And it was "borrowed" from The Hollies....

DrBeatle and Lost In The Flood like this.
  2. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

Yes, midnight on Friday by the trash fence. Daft Punk is opening. ;)

Bryan Harris likes this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

4. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I'm not much of a Radiohead fan but i thought this song was ok. It's not really much of a song, it's more like a musical phrase that goes on for the duration. I think the video distracts folks from realizing this.

theclogs2002 and It's Felix like this.
  5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I've not yet watched the video but I sort of agree with what you said. It's a bit of a long crescendo.

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Maybe you should give them some pointers.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

I'm loving Burn The Witch, heard it a good 6 or 7 seven times now and it's well and truly sunk in now. If this is a sign of LP 9 I'm anticipating this like no other album in sometime. I'm 43 so Trumpton, Camberwick & Chigley are a part of my childhood, definitely digging the idea of giving it a Wicker Man slant. Despite the fact it puts a chilling twist some programs that would have felt intirely harmless and quaint when I was younger.

I get the comment about Radiohead fans, I'm one myself and yes we can be pretty arrogant about this band when we want to, I'm sure I was in my young days and still have my moments even now if someone presses the right buttons.

I do utterly love Radiohead and I don't mind admitting it, there are a good number of bands and artists before them that are better without a doubt but as much as I like many artists before they came about I don't possibly feel quite as passionate about them as I do Radiohead with some exceptions.

Though for me since they appeared not another band has captured me quite like them, even KOL which after PH is the album that least grabs me, it still has its moment. Radiohead just captivate me even at their least essential.

As for not wanting to have a drink with the band, call me strange but I'd love to share a pint with Thom, I'm sorry some of you might not like his politcal stance and so what if he thinks that about Republican Politicians, quite frankly the standard of them at the moment I think he has a point.

Also I'd rather have an artist who is informed and think passionately about their views than someone like Noel Gallagher, the way he endorsed Tony Blair at the Brits and then went to 10 Downing Street was sickening. He clearly had no idea and now he has tried to back track by saying I wasn't to know the guy was a c u next tuesday.

At least Thom can talk intelligently about poiltics rather that sound like some ignoramus like Noel.

On the subject of Oasis, Radiohead are on completely different planet to that pub rock tribute act and as much as I admire and enjoy Blur, sorry RH have been far more diverse and Blur haven't produced anything as mind blowing as OK Computer in their career.

Yorick, Lost In The Flood and JMAC like this.
  8. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Where's the indignation? People thought the new album was going to drop and all they got was this single, which even in the best light certainly wasn't the monumental event that everyone was expecting. Radiohead has a very understanding fanbase.

9. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

yeah, dunno. it seems like some people mistake a lack of fawning for indignation. not entirely sure why, either.

10. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I'm sure they know that they're kind of skipping the songwriting part.

11. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

Pretty sure most fans realize an album is still to come and are ok waiting. New tour doesn't start for 2 weeks. It'll be out before then.

12. Many of the same fans who connected the dots and figured out that something would be arriving from Radiohead around International Dawn Chorus Day are convinced the number six is also being deliberately teased as a further clue to what must now surely be the new album's release date, though is this a reference to May 6th or June, which is when Brian Message originally said we'd be getting LP9 (before the band dismissed his claims)? Either way, it's likely to coincide with the upcoming tour...

13. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Horrible Histories is good!

14. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Troll on, dude. Apparently you don't like any of their songs. So why were you expecting this new one to be different? Are you that desperate to be a Radiohead fan?
    Seriously - this is the worst form of trolling. You're not adding any value whatsoever to the discussion and clearly just trying to wind people up. All hail to the #KingofTrolls (see what I did there?)

Good song. Really like the "relentless" strings. Nice change of pace. Nearly 8 million views on YouTube. Well done.

Love,
    Billy

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Nobody knew specifically what was going to be happening this week, just a lot of fevered speculation, so why should anyone be indignant, unless they were unable to keep their expectations in check? We got a new song and we know that the album is on the way. Most are satisfied with that.

16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Like I said...so what? The thread didnt start with "for Radiohead fans only".
    The value is this...balance. I've heard it three times now. Wish I could like it. I think it's a tad boring.
    You can like it if you want. It's your desperation to engage in hero worship that may be off-putting, champ.

Wow, 8 million views! Now that must be good.

17. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I thought there was a palpable sense of disappointment and shock after the video had been posted. And then the praise seemed measured and tentative., compared with the hype that was built up. But maybe I was just projecting. At any rate, I don't think the song has necessarily blown people away like some might have been wishing for. I question the decision to hype it up so big.

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Hard to say. Some devoted fanboys are going to gush over anything they do, but I've seen a lot of favorable feedback from fans where disappointed with TKOL. I liked the new song, wasn't completely blown away or anything, but then I guess I'm a more moderate Radiohead fan. I'm just trying to approach the new album with an open mind. I don't expect them to completely reinvent the wheel at this stage of their career, but I would be happy if the new album were comparable in quality to In Rainbows.

19. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

I don't agree with that at all - on the basis that the Bends is my favorite Radiohead album, and I've never really liked a Coldplay album. Coldplay tunes have a generic quality to them, that no Radiohead song has.

The best songs on the Bends - Planet Telex, My Iron Lung, Just, Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit - all sound like nothing else. There was an edginess to Yorke's vocals on this album that made every song sound like it was operating right on the line, verging on chaos - but never stepping over that line. It makes it the most exciting of their albums to listen to.

I find that PH wasn't a fully realized album and kind of sounds like a band that didn't quite know what it was yet - but The Bends is them becoming what they are today.

After The Bends, I wasn't as big a fan of OK Computer as most - but loved Kid A and everything that followed (though with KOL being not quite as high on my list).

They're one of the best bands around, with perhaps the most consistent catalogue since the Beatles. But The Bends remains, in my opinion, their high-water mark.

vinylphile and chronic kebab like this.
  20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I was thinking that I might want to see Radiohead in London at the end of May, since I am in Europe that week.

Tickets in the secondary market start at $1000 or so. Oh well. They really should play larger venues.

21. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

The greatest movie ever made IMO. I adore it.

22. nedwho

nedwho Forum Resident

Great soundtrack too...

Really liking the new Radiohead track. Listened to it online so much that I finally took the plunge to buy it on iTunes, even though Ill almost certainly be double-dipping when the album drops.

23. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

Or maybe it's not a car song:D

24. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me Thread Starter

Oh yes, very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.