Sealed vinyl obsession - a disorder?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jennifer Tomkins, Apr 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capzark

Capzark Forum Resident

A few months ago I purchased a 1970s era unopened record from someone on the Internet. When I opened it I quickly discovered that it was heavily used and simply resealed by a machine. It sure looked legit from the outside. I immediately returned it. Point being, just because something is sealed in shrink doesn't necessarily mean its mint or new. If you buy something like this on the Internet and don't open it, or later try to resell it, you may find out you've been had. Just a buyer beware with unopened stuff that didn't come from a legit source.

Fullbug, Gaslight, Sondek and 3 others like this.
  2. Capzark

Capzark Forum Resident

It doesn't surprise me a bit. Most people buy stuff to use it. Only a small group buy stuff to preserve it.

3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I think these to quotes go nicely together and I think they're both right.

Do what you want with your records keeping the above in mind. In my opinion, opening the records doesn't change a thing, unless you plan on selling them later. Otherwise, it really is your own history that you're worried about. In fact, I think you started a thread because, in some ways, you think opening them would be liberating.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Gaslight and dkmonroe like this.
  4. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

This is good to know, otherwise every new record ever purchased would have to remain sealed forever. What fun that would be.

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I get where you're coming from here, even if I don't feel as strongly about it.

I generally don't really buy sealed records because 1) I have a hard time opening them, 2) you never know what you'll get once you do open it and 3) they tend to be more expensive. The lower end stuff I find, I have no problem opening it up if it's shrink wrapped.

But I did come across some older type sealed records, where they only seal the lp and I keep those sealed (if I have play copies). I've got a couple of Everly Brothers, Ella, Garnet Mimms (I was excited about that one), the Duke Ellington Jazz Party sealed lp I found has the Columbia logo on the lp bag! Very cool.

Out of the 1200+ records I own hardly any are still sealed, maybe 20, but if I come across something cool, I'll pick it up (if it's affordable). I've actually sold sealed copies because I didn't have the heart to open them and figured someone else might. There is an element of preserving history in it all. But I just like having them more than anything else. It's not really about value or reselling.

I have a 10" Bill Haley Rock Around The Clock I bought for $10. I was going to sell it, but found a note from the gift giver to the receiver. It was such a nice note, I didn't have the heart to sell it, unless I know the buyer will keep that note with the record forever! Kind of crazy but I think it's a neat thing to have. The note doesn't increase the value in terms of the market but it does to me.

I never let it stop me from enjoying the music. I had been looking for a specific Big Joe Turner pressing for awhile and found a sealed copy (lose bag style) on Discogs. I bought, opened and luckily it was the one I was looking for. I'm sure by opening it I knocked some dollars off the value but in this case I wanted to hear it and didn't have another copy.

muffmasterh likes this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think there are more collectors like yourself out there. Perhaps not on this forum but there are collectors out there who keep records sealed. I bet there's more on this forum as well but they don't want to admit it publicly! :)

Jennifer Tomkins likes this.
  7. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

none of course, and there is probably a UK vs USA thing here since shrinkwrapping began later here and even then for many years was still unusual until the late 70's, as such finding sealed USA albums is probably a lot easier than finding sealed UK ones, as such UK ones are probably more prized due to rarity...

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah that's the danger of buying a sealed record. I had been looking for an early George Jones Starday pressing but couldn't seem to find it. I came across a sealed copy at a record show so I bought it. When I opened it up, the lp did appear unplayed but it was cracked. It's a risk when you buy sealed.

9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

My feeling is that if you can sell off a sealed record for big bucks which you can use to buy a bunch of unsealed records that you WILL listen to, do it.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Another advantage of opening them is that, even if one does decide to sell them, at least you have confidence that the LP is not warped or otherwise damaged. If you sell a sealed LP and the seller opens it and discovers that it's defective, that can create an unnecessary hassle. And a NM LP that has only been played once or twice on a good rig won't be devalued all that much by not being sealed. I'd take an unsealed NM LP over a sealed one any day.

11. muffmasterh

well it looks like just the two of us who appreciate that we are just custodians of our records as they pass though our hands. They are to be appreciated and played with care if opened but future generations may thank us for preserving these artifacts in the best possible order and love them i hope as much as we have.

of course they may just end up in the skip but cultural history is taken more seriously now.

Jennifer Tomkins likes this.
  12. muffmasterh

i agree with the latter but not the former, if you sell a historically sealed record, ie not one sealed last month or year then the buyer opening them is caviat emptor and they then cannot be returned in the condition in which they were provided, ie as an historically sealed artifact.

dkmonroe likes this.
  13. LedMan

LedMan Active Member

I'm guilty also of having sealed vinyl, CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc…. sitting around unopened and slowly i'm getting around to listening to mostly vinyl these days. I also have some sealed duplicates of certain LPs mostly. It's the expensive super deluxe box sets that I always procrastinate listening to everything included. I don't think the collector needs therapy because he chose not to open and play his collection all these years. Personally I think he's just a collector who likes to have a sealed collection.

14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Good point!

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sealed vinyl is for sissy's.

I guess it depends on why you do it though. What I think is even crazier is someone who would purchase an lp that's been sealed for 10 yrs or however long. You have zero guarantee that it will not be defective. You buy it for a marked up price because its "rare" and OOP. You open it and its got a nice little scratch or non-fill or a gouge. Then what? You cant return it.

The other scenario is: You buy tons of vinyl titles over two months and dont listen to half of them for an additional three months. Then you start opening them and find four or five of them are defective. Your return/exchange time has expired. And you just have to eat the fact that youve got defective lps.

I close my eyes and shake my head everytime I see someone type "I bought that months ago. I guess I should listen to it."

Id much rather shop with a company that will open the product up and at least visually assure me that it looks scratch, non-fill and warp free under a bright light or buy from an individual who has open lps that are graded well.

When I went on my buying spree and purchased 50-60 albums, you dang well better believe I opened every one of them immediately. I checked for defects, listened to any suspicious spots and returned them for an exchange if it was an unreasonable defect ( I realize vinyl isnt a perfect format. You may have a stray pop or bit of swish here and there.)

If its an investment thing, then ok. But imo lps, 45s, EPs etc are a poor investment all in all. Its difficult to know what will go up in value considerably. Ive never been good at that. And I think very few if any are.

Capzark likes this.
  16. muffmasterh

but some of us love our records and would not wish to part with them, it is for other generations to decide what is collectable, but i will often buy an uncollectable LP ( so long as i like the record of course ) purely because of the condition and to save it for posterity, but i cannot control posterity.

17. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

depends on the record. if its one you love and would listen to over and over....
    open it.
    if its records you like to just look at and admire...keep it sealed.

18. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Another reason to open ALL sealed records: Avoid ringwear (placing the record in an inner sleeve behind the jacket) and avoid the record breaking through the sleeve at the bottom and at the spine. I've seen too many rare records where this has happened and due to the damage, the item has been devalued.

But frankly, I can't take this serious. I'm opening a thread "I have some red/yellow coloured sleeves, am I in danger to burn my house down and how best to avoid this".

19. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Keeping it sealed might destroy it. Open it up. Remove PVC sleeve to prevent fogging.

20. muffmasterh

if it is an historically sealed record breaking the seal will devalue it FAR more

21. muffmasterh

it might but if the owner does not intend to play it ever then it may in time become highly collectable sealed while unsealed copies will be ten a penny.

22. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

The only perfect record is the one that produces music when played. Otherwise it's just a bit of pastic in a piece of cardboard. So open those suckers up and give them a spin, for someone's sake ! Only then you will know what real perfection is. ;)

ZippyPippy likes this.
  23. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Not to insinuate that a boot is involved, but sealed can be a mixed bag.
    Less than perfect inside etc.....I once had a sealed Beatles Christmas lp. Glad I opened it before trying to sell it.

24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Shhhh we're not supposed to tell people this. You'll ruin my eBay business.

JK. But that would be an epic troll. Imagine selling someone a sealed copy some rare album, and inside is a copy of Herb Alpert's "Whipped Cream & Other Delights". And that buyer never opens it up. Ever.

I guess ignorance is bliss but that's still funny as hell.

25. Jennifer Tomkins

Jennifer Tomkins Well-Known Member Thread Starter

There is over 30 people who voted to keep them sealed, so there are apparently a few more people who understand and appreciate the beauty and historical significance of a sealed record. I see it being no different from a coin collector preferring uncirculated coins. Music artifacts are as wonderful to look at as they are to listen to.

muffmasterh and mrjinks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.