Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Prince has taught us all an important lesson: NO LEAPING!!!

2. Right, so be it. Truth.

Yet, Prince's baby died on October 6th, 1996 and he didn't become JW until 2001. Prince wasn't even listed on the baby's birth certificate - either of them; there was two birth certificates filed.

So, I mean, 5 years?

3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

It's generally agreed that there was a long arc of change there. He didn't flip a switch and go JW. He dropped the foul language almost immediately. His JOTY arena shows (1997) had him telling his audience "Don't say it!" to expected obscenities such as a "Play that motherpluckin' bass." chant.

Larry attached himself in 1997 and was still around for at least "Rave" in 2000.

Again, it's Prince's right as a grown person to worship who or what he sees fit.

4. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

This basically all speculation. Me? I'd love to know what changed with him. Something did. Looks like he changed quite a few times--like we all do, but it seemed to be very profound with him--to the point where he seemed to be away from his best music making abilities. Now that could be drugs, depression, whatever. I bet the stories in the music--if I could track it all down, ha.

5. Hmmmm...I'll have to go back for a listen, but I was sure that his 1998 album, Newpower Soul, had some good filth in it. But besides the classic tune "The One" from that album, I haven't listened to it in ages.

Time to break it out anyway and jam.

6. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

You're really going all in on this "Larry is evil" thing, aren't you? LOL! Larry didn't attach himself. Prince attached himself to Larry. Check out the Larry King interview.

Ed

Lonson and bluejeanbaby like this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

James Brown had numerous knee issues without high heels.

Madonnas seems to have ok knees/hips resolves hundreds of shows wearing high heels when dancing.

8. There's a dirty joke in there somewhere...

9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I WANT to say here that Madonna doesn't do splits, but I'm not sure that'd be right.

Purple Jim likes this.
  10. zebop

I'm not sure if we can blame high heels on all of Prince's ills. Who knows, there could be a multitude of issues in regards to pain. I just can't play Dr. Oz on this one, there's a lot of issues we're probably going to hear about good and bad.

Cubbiegirl, bluejeanbaby and Thom like this.
  11. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

If the conversation veers into Larry Graham or JW bashing (and even Prince bashing), I'll take my leave of this thread. I don't see the point in it, but if that's what folks want to talk about, cool. I just don't have the stomach for it.

keyXVII, Lonson, Thom and 1 other person like this.
  12. Nostaljack

Couldn't agree more. Religion is against forum rules and bashing of Prince or Larry is uninformed and silly.

Ed

Lonson and Grant like this.
  13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Has this been posted yet?

14. Grant

How about this one?

enro99, Cubbiegirl and Nostaljack like this.
  15. Cubbiegirl

Cubbiegirl Forum Resident

I feel a bit better now, in a backward kind of way..

" But isn't it nice to celebrate the day you were born ?"
    "I'll celebrate the day I die "
    "Cause you'll move on to the next path in life ?"
    " Yes "

I had forgotten about this interview....
    " you can call me spud "

Mal, EVOLVIST and Beatlened like this.
  16. eileen

eileen Forum Resident

Numerous friends have reported contacting him after the plane emergency. Prince had around him exactly who he wanted exactly when he wanted. It's not possibly to check on him discreetly, breaking in is frowned upon - check the Carver County Sheriff's call log if you have doubts.

This popular, wealthy rock star was not short of attention, loving or otherwise. And he didn't keep anyone around who didn't express love and 24/7 devotion.

None of that is hostile towards Prince, or even cynical. He's just really not poor little Princey who died because nobody cared.

17. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Oh man, this is sooooo cool. I love these unscripted, less-guarded moments that reveal a bit of the creative process. Though Prince isn't playing anything particularly difficult here, it is interesting to watch the scales he uses over basic chords and to watch his light-ish touch on the keys; light and jazzy, but still a tiny bit of funk and lots of blues in his phrases. These are the gems we've never gotten a chance to see -- at least I haven't.

18. Grant

Who is going to say no to Prince? Just like Michael Jackson, who was there to say "no"?

bunglejerry likes this.
  19. Grant

It's all in the way you frame your argument.

20. Grant

I guess addicts don't know how to get out of their spiral. Sometimes, someone needs to step in, which no one really did. Again, he had money. That makes a difference.

21. eileen

eileen Forum Resident

That was an alleged quote from Prince's brother-in-law, who quickly denied saying it. But you're right, it's still being repeated all over the place.

Grant and TonyCzar like this.
  22. Nostaljack

He's so chill here. He's also seriously flirting with Mel. Great stuff!

Ed

bluejeanbaby, Cubbiegirl and zebop like this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The person(s) who should come to your rescue and say no in these situations are your family and close friends. In Prince's case, he had no family he was close to and it's not entirely clear if by the end of his life he had any friends who had a parity relationship with him where they could wield sufficient influence.

zphage likes this.
  24. Grant

I once had a prescription for hydrocodone. I took two or three of the pills for moderate pain, as prescribed, but wasn't physically addicted to it. For months, though, even when I didn't have pain, I carried one or two pills around with me just in case, but never used them. The rest of the pills went out of date and I flushed them away. I kind of felt vulnerable when I did that, but that shows how easy it is to become psychologically addicted. I didn't even like taking them because they made me a bit nauseous.

According to his last chefs, he wasn't really a vegan. He was a vegetarian. He loves sweets. Hey: cakes are typically made with eggs...

25. zebop

That's the Prince I like to see, very cool.

Cubbiegirl and Nostaljack like this.