Upgraded Marantz 2220B for Pioneer SX 850

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by andrew stearns, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrew stearns

andrew stearns Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but could not find any information that helped me about the Pioneer SX850. I traded my Marantz 2220B today for a Pioneer SX 850 and cash.....Upon setup, I don't know if its just me but the sound of the pioneer doesn't seem as good coming out of my Marantz. The 2220 B isn't nothing to brag about, but the sound seems better to me, it has a mid adjuster knob which the pioneer does not. On the pioneer you really have to turn the volume knob up compared to the Marantz.

Is it just me or am I crazy to think this? I'm thinking about returning the pioneer receiver in the morning and picking up my marantz. I'm running a music hall 5.1 turntable and JBL L100 speakers. Any info would greatly help me out...The pioneer is much bigger but marantz low end 2220B seems to have better sound.

Thank You, Andy

2. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

You may not get much feedback on this comparison here. People here are mostly (but not exclusively) into more modern gear.

A great place to pose this question might be audiokarma, where there are dedicated fora for both Pioneer and Marantz gear.

The problem is that they will probably tell you the Marantz is better on the Marantz forum, and that the Pioneer is better on the Pioneer forum.

One thing to keep in mind is that any piece of equipment from the 70s will benefit from a refurbishment. The capacitors and other parts degrade over time, to the degree that they do not sound nearly as good as when new. It will be very hard to objectively compare these two until they both have been serviced and brought up to spec.

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

My Marantz 2238B sounds beautiful to my ears so I would have no trouble believing that you prefer the sound from your 2220B. Many people love the sound from these low-powered Marantz receivers. :)

Aftermath likes this.
  4. andrew stearns

Thanks, The SX850 doesn't seem like an upgrade to me, hopefully no one has snagged the 2220B I traded. Marantz has a warmer sound for sure.

5. andrew stearns

Riverrat, I will check out audio karma

Thanks

6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

At 65wpc the Pioneer should have no problem driving your speakers. You cannot compare the volume knob positions between different gear, they are all different. As for not being as warm as the Marantz it could be the case or it could be that the Marantz is worn out and needs a recap or it could be that the Pioneer was recapped and needs to burn in.

7. Perfect sound forever

Perfect sound forever Well-Known Member

Listen before you buy...Meanwhile I hope you get your Marantz back.

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Trust what YOU hear! And go with it.

9. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

10. andrew stearns

Well I ended up returning the Sx850 and took my Marantz back home as the pioneer was also having low power on the left channel on both A and B speaker outlets...I was able to pick up a music hall 9.1 on craigslist and what I noticed that is different than the 5.1 on both the pioneer and now with the marantz receiver hooked back up is I really have to turn up the volume knob with the 9.1 connected....with the 5.1 if I had the volume turned up half way with the marantz it would be booming, but that is not the case with the 9.1 on the pioneer and now hooked up to the marantz....Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the turntable or the stylus needs to be broken in? Something doesn't seem right to me.

Aftermath likes this.
  11. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

Are you using the same cartridge? A different cartridge on the 9.1 would cause the difference in volume.

12. andrew stearns

It is a different cart. the 5.1 has a goldring 2200 and the 9.1 has a goldring eroica lx that hasn't been broken in yet.

13. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

The 2200 is a MM 6.5 mV, the goldring eroica lx is a MC .5 mV. You need to use the MC setting on your receiver
    if you have one.

14. andrew stearns

the marantz doesn't have an mc setting on receiver

15. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

You need either a SUT or an outboard phono pre that does MC.

Jasonb likes this.
  16. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Well, there's your answer.

Jasonb likes this.
  17. andrew stearns

OK, with my setup then it would be better to run a phono pre amp with receiver and turntable? That would also give me better sound? What are some good phono pre amps?

18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

There are loads of phono-pre options out there, but I can attest as the owner of a Music Hall MMF-7 that a Lounge Copla step up amp ($270) works very nicely connected to Music Hall turntables and vintage receivers/amps. I have both a Pioneer SX-850 (mine sounds fab) and a Luxman L-85v. Both are circa 1976. I don't use the built in phono input on those two though, I use the Lounge LCR mkIII phono stage ($300).

19. andrew stearns

Ok, I will put a pre amp on my list and will check out the Lounge Copla phono stages, Thanks for the info

DigMyGroove likes this.
  20. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Your budget will determine the answers otherwise you'll get suggestions that are priced all over the place.

21. andrew stearns

Ok, Around $300 is in my price range....I'll be looking into the Lounge Copla phono stages

22. andrew stearns

Does anybody know where I can buy a Lounge LCR mkIII phono stage. I've been looking around but can't find anywhere to buy one.

23. andrew stearns

will the Lounge LCR mkIII phono stage work with goldring eroica lx is a MC .5 mV as I think this cartridge is low output.This Lounge phono stage won't work with low output mc cartridges

24. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

25. andrew stearns

That looks tempting...The Lounge has good reviews but won't work with what I have...I will look into the Jolida now, Thank You

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.