Kinks Deluxe Editions 2011-2014 (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Oh please. Some dude who has been here a week wants to start up with this tinfoil hat nonsense. Nobody is pushing a "false narrative." There's a BIG difference between saying that these releases "aren't that bad comparatively," or that they serve a specific purpose, and saying that there is "nothing wrong" with them. Hint: NOBODY said there is "nothing wrong" with them.

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Can we move this along please? If you have something to specifically DISCUSS regarding sound quality (that hasn't been clubbed to death already) that's fine. But please stop this bickering back and forth. Thanks.

Paul Mazz, Mr. H, Preston and 2 others like this.
  3. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

I just find it odd that somebody who admittedly "doesn't care" about how these sound loses his mind when somebody has the nerve to say that they don't like how these sound. It has been a pattern throughout this thread for discussion of the "sound quality" issue to be attacked and then silenced, with you being a major participant. Meanwhile, there are dozens and dozens of meaningless, non-informative posts about how fantastic they are that go unchallenged and undiscussed.

How can we "discuss" something that is apparently off-limits? In case you haven't noticed, there hasn't been any discussion about the sound quality, only that it apparently isn't allowed to be discussed. I haven't been able to participate in this discussion because I have only been here for a week.

omranger, Laservampire and bobcat like this.
  4. GreenGringo

It appears to me that every time someone tries to start a discussion about the sound quality, they are met with a barrage of attacks and irrelevant points like:

- We've already discussed how much the sound sucks. Now it's time to praise the sound endlessly.
    - These sound fantastic because this is how non-audiophile recordings are supposed to sound.
    - But _____ said that they used a newly discovered master. Are you calling _____ a liar?
    - "This is the least narrow version ever released, and I compared them all." Re: "That's your opinion."
    - It sounds like crap but it's $45 well spent.

Anything to deflect an actual discussion, I guess. I will show myself the door now.

omranger, Laservampire and bobcat like this.
  5. When is the Deluxe Everybody's in Show biz getting released?

6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

k, bye.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

June 3rd.

Pete Puma likes this.
  8. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

3 June

9. KinkySmallFace1991

You were about 1 microsecond faster than me

10. Thanks guys

11. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've been collecting all the deluxe editions and been getting them for great value.. I think the mastering is very good but a tad too bright.. I just roll back the treble in my marantz amp. I love tone control btw back in the day I had all the original reprise,pye,rca dyna groove ,Spanish prt,marble arch vinyl of each album. I was pretty obsessive although I could never find the 1969 God save the kinks promo box.

I pre ordered show biz and looking forward to the release next month.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Looking forward to the Show Biz release.

The fact that it's on Sony Legacy gives me closure over the Legacy reissue of Muswell Hillbillies replacing the Deluxe Edition format I didn't get around to picking up before it went OOP!

Mark

13. KinkySmallFace1991

If you have the BBC box (like me), then the Legacy Edition is a no-brainier. The two 1976 remixes (mastered similarly to the Legacy Edition) can be downloaded from the iTunes and presto! A playlist with the sequence of the Deluxe.

I'm excited for the Showbiz Deluxe.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  14. I wish I had done this....

15. KinkySmallFace1991

What did you do?

16. GreenGringo

Consider yourself fortunate...it sounded like crap because it was from the same "batch" that we are apparently not allowed to discuss. (Be careful...you might bring out some sass in some of the more insufferable forum members if you dare mention this.)

Laservampire likes this.
  17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Agreed. I actually wish Sony could go back and have Vic Anesini master all of the previous deluxe editions as well.

Laservampire, bobcat and tkl7 like this.
  18. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I thought you were leaving.

19. I bought the Japanese version of the deluxe because I wanted those '76 mixes.

20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yes, I would certainly pay for that.

InStepWithTheStars and bobcat like this.
  21. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Is there any reason why the koch/velvel version of Low Budget regularly goes for over 25 bucks on Amazon? Kinda ironic. And even then it seems to be the Japanese cd

22. KinkySmallFace1991

In fairness, the '76 mixes were released on iTunes without a big fanfare.

23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Is it the hybrid SACD? I think 2 versions were released, and the hybrid was only available in the box set, at least for a while. Not sure if that was the only way to get it or not. I may be misremembering.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

this was true for awhile and then at some point the SACD hybrids were the only versions and the dropped the regular version

25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.