New Red Hot Chili Peppers album 'The Getaway' coming June 17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JasonA, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

They should hang it up.

2. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Sounds like 90's Duran Duran with a less tasteful baseline.

3. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

You can see how I would infer, through your wording, that you're dismissing it due to lack of edginess though, can't you? I've seen enough rhetorical questions in my life.

And I too was only asking whether you only like them due to perceived edginess. And maybe you do. That would be fine.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  4. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I don't know, edge is not something I really think about. I listen to all kinds of music and any of it may or may not be edgy but that doesn't correlate to the quality of the music. And if the song example you provided is edgy then no they're not that. Not most of the time. Because they're in their 50s and not young punks anymore. Though they still have their moments.

5. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Bass line that is.

6. I liked their latest album I'm With You, but I didn't love it. However, I love this new song. Damn cool bass line.

Vinyl Addict and MikeVielhaber like this.
  7. Prefer their newer, more melodic material. It's a better band than in the 80s and early 90s.

8. It's the sound of your lack of ability to recognize great music.

Scott222C likes this.
  9. Said a Culture Club fan: "Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma Chameleon".

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I feel like a genius in Copenhagen.

11. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Sounds like Jamiroquai. It's also really 90's sounding.

Does the 90's count as a retro sound now?

The Revealer likes this.
  12. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

Flea is awesome. But I can't maintain focus on this song long enough to have an opinion on it.

vinylphile likes this.
  13. I'm sure you do!

14. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I love I'm With You. I think it's fantastic (I have it on LP)

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

You know, a lot of Danish people are real jerks, and you are certainly proof of that, Usherfan.

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  16. Oh yeah? How man Danish jerks have you actually met?
    Usher fan? I despise generic musical artists like him!? You're not well, are you? Why are you so defensive? Were you bullied in school?
    If so, I'll be glad to give you a big hug!

The Revealer likes this.
  17. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Can you play nice and promise not to bite and call names anymore?

18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'll admit that was a broad generalization from my side, let's play nice :cheers:. I was a nig Peppers fan back in the day, and this just doesn't appeal to me - glad that someone likes it.

The Revealer and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  19. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I'll preface my opinion by saying I've had my stomach turned by virtually every RHCP song released in the last 15+ years so...

along with the usual Stevie Wonder aping, there's a pretty clear desire to pander to contemporary pop music but I have to admit that I don't hate this

20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I hope that Flea's awesome trumpet playing is on this new album!

supernaut likes this.
  21. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I didn't think I would, but I like the single a lot. I haven't been too keen on their material without John Frusciante, but I'm digging this!

The Hud likes this.
  22. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

There's only been one album since Stadium Arcadium... just sayin'....

Stadium Arcadium would have been better if edited down to 1 disk. I'm With You was entirely unremarkable.
    I don't think RHCP has been particularly "edgy" since Blood Sugar Sex Magic, but who cares?

supernaut likes this.
  23. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

People talk about mediocrity and that Stadium Arcadium was the last great thing, but I don't know folks. Stadium is one LP too long. And it's then that they lost their edge. Nothing on Stadium matched something like Can't Stop. But that's me. I also liked I'm with You, not loved. Lots of great songs there. I was really hoping that with the new guitar player they would pool a One Hot Minute meaning doing something drastically different and yet cool. But they decided to play it self sorta. This new single indicates quite a new direction. Hopefully the rest of the album will sound as interesting and unusual (for their style).

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  24. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

c'mon Josh is excellent!

25. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

The question of 'edge' seems to have been blown out of importance and of course not all good music needs 'edge'. It's an imagined, subjective and non defined concept at any rate.

This new track sounds pretty generic though. It sounds almost exactly what most people would imagine as a version of modern RHCP. That is, there are no surprises. (That works better for ACDC than RHCP) I rate the RHCP very highly because they are all very competent musicians and have done great work for many years, but this just sounds like they are phoning it in a bit.

Matheusms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.