A Pearl Jam question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Both Wrigley shows :)

Erik B. likes this.
  2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I'm sure I'm in the minority,but all the radio songs seem to sound similar to me. I feel that's the reason for their quick demise. People get tired of hearing the same thing.

3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I am relatively new to PJ-And am going thru the releases-I think there are strengths in all the albums. For me I think they approached career a little like the Grateful Dead-be true to the fans and your own integrity. What more could you ask for?

Erik B. and Daniel Thomas like this.
  4. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

The general attitude towards this band is so hilariously offbase, it's a constant source of comedy for their fans.

Saying that they "lost the plot" with No Code and "regained their momentum" with Lightning Bolt is like saying the Beatles lost the plot with Rubber Soul and came back into classic form with Let It Be. And meanwhile the majority of people are hoping that they remake Please Please Me. Get a clue people!

5. NotOneStraw

NotOneStraw Well-Known Member

LOL!

"quick demise?" are you in the wrong thread?

ARK and beasandpeans like this.
  6. Vinyl Addict

Checks OPs first post....
    "Why did Pearl Jam fall so far, so fast?"

Nope, I'm in the correct thread.

7. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

What demise - they're still intact after over two decades and a fully-functional recording and touring act with a rock-solid line-up that's been stable for years. And who could argue that Jeremy, Given To Fly, Last Kiss, I Am Mine and World-Wide Suicide don't sound exactly the same ? You know, other than anyone who's actually paying attention ?

If you just want to bash Pearl Jam, at least put some effort into it.

D.D.

ARK, Stormrider77 and NotOneStraw like this.
  8. Diamond Dog

de·mise
    dəˈmīz/
    noun

1. 1.
      a person's death.
      "Mr. Grisenthwaite's tragic demise"
      synonyms: death, dying, passing, loss of life, end, quietus;
    Nope, you're not.

D.D.

9. Vinyl Addict

This thread was for opinions on what happened to PJ so quickly. I simply stated my thoughts. I'm sorry you don't agree.
    I was in High School when PJ was huge.
    Yes, a lot of the songs sound similar.

10. NotOneStraw

then you don't know what the word "demise" means

Diamond Dog likes this.
  11. Vinyl Addict

Pretty sure people know what I was trying to say. Does demise of popularity help? They are no where near as popular as they were in the 90s. I'm not going to argue back and forth in an adult forum.
    Have a nice day Dave :righton::righton:

Diamond Dog likes this.
  12. NotOneStraw

you forgot "Sirens," "Footsteps," and "Do The Evolution." Same songs, duh.

13. Diamond Dog

Oh no, baby... It's on now. ;)

D.D.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  14. Vinyl Addict

Haha for some reason I thought your name was Diamond Dave.

Sorry about that Dog...not Dave:D

15. NotOneStraw

what people are taking umbrage with is the bolded part above. what exactly do you base this statement on? here we are, in 2016, pretty far beyond the '90s, and they still sell out 20,000-seat arenas in minutes. I'd say they're more popular than they were in the '90s, or are you basing your entire stance on the fact that not every album goes platinum 10x over like Ten did?

Diamond Dog and Stormrider77 like this.
  16. Diamond Dog

Dave...Dog...Dog...Dave...

No wonder all Pearl Jam songs sound the same to you. :p

D.D.

Vinyl Addict and Oatsdad like this.
  17. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Hey Vinyl, we're about the same age, and while I respect that you have your opinion, it's been a long time since Pearl Jam were the TOP rock band in the world in 1995 and perhaps you've forgotten some of these tracks. Just listen to a couple and you'll see they truly do not sound similar to each other unless the ear hearing does not have a more extensive knowledge of grunge. Of course you may-I don't know for sure.

Now, I'll grant you that the songs on 'Ten' are vaguely similar in style- 'Jeremy', 'Alive' and 'Evenflow'. But then 'Black' came out and it had no grunge in it, but tremendous classic rock with fine melody that can still be heard on classic rock or alt. rock radio in 2016. From there, everything changed-'Elderly Woman Behind the Counter...' is a slow soft song with no guitar distortion, 'Daughter' is an acoustic based song-in fact almost every song from their first 3 albums has been on radio because DJ's wanted more and more. Then they purposely went experimental which cut into their popularity and sales. It was specifically because they did not play similar songs that a slight popularity dip occurred and they were no longer the top dog.

But it's been 20 years and you can't stay on top that long-nobody has yet. I just went to 2 MSG shows and sang along on almost every song with sold out in 20 minute crowds of 20,000 each-67 songs for 6 hours. I sat next to a teen from India who was attending his first US concert, and he knew every lyric. Every generation alive was at those shows. They have touched everyone with their music and despite a slight dip in their recorded catalog overall, there's no discounting their popularity.

Just suggesting you refresh the memory with hearing a couple of Pearl Jam songs and you'll know why people are responding to your post here.

18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I definitely think their live show dipped in energy and enthusiasm in the mid-oughts, but the last couple of tours have been back to form. Sometimes Ed is the weak link--his voice is truly not what is was, and he has been guilty of forgetting lyrics, but since he stopped smoking he's been much better. Mike was the weak link at the show I saw in DC in 2005--with Ed calling him out onstage, even, after he phoned in the Even Flow solo, if I remember correctly. Like any band, they have their on nights and off nights, and who could blame any of them for not getting jazzed about Even Flow? But everyone is right, they are still well worth seeing live. I haven't seen them, myself, since MSGII in 2008, because to me, personally, it felt like a big nostalgia snooze fest and my tastes have shifted. But I've heard and enjoyed some of the live CDs they've put out, especially the 2013 and later shows. If anyone is on the fence about seeing them live, the answer is most likely, yes, you should.

19. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Meanwhile at both of my shows, especially the first, McCready was incredible. Check the reviews online for the NY shows-astounding on that first show. But here's the problem-he seems to be wanting the spotlight more-I remember right at the end of the 2nd show, this girl in the front row threw him a bundled up green thing-could be undies-and McCready took his shirt off as she threw it to him and he threw his shirt to her. He was the only one showboating, jogging 6 laps around the stage, striking every guitar pose possible, jumping in the crowd while playing his guitar behind his back.

The key to Pearl Jam's longevity was everyone in the band knew Vedder is the leader and not to get in his way and it's not democracy, but it led to mass success and they know it and that's why they're still together. But Vedder calling out McCready? Mike's had some personal issues over the years and I hope things are okay with him. There are no rumors of any issues, but he's seems a little out of it. Of course this opinion is just based on your comment and the way he's been on this tour.

20. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

I wouldn't doubt that for a second. Pearl Jam are literally like gods here amongst the rock fans. But that being said, most people haven't really moved on from the rock music of the 80s and 90s, it's almost like we skipped out completed on the post 2000s music!

I remember my band played a gig in Mumbai a few years ago and before we went on they screened the PJ20 documentary, and the scene when Eddie first appears... I swear you would have thought it was the Beatles at Shea Stadium... everyone went nuts.

WilliamWes likes this.
  21. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yeah, Mike's personal issues--and his stage antics--have been well known for a long time. I've never seen him called out for showboating, and I've seen him be a complete ham, including in 2003 when he threw me a pick. In 2005, Vedder called him out for playing poorly and not being into it at that one show. But it was short lived; this is really just one minor anecdote in a career spanning more than 20 years. I can't comment on his behavior this tour, since I haven't witnessed it. But the showboating is nothing new at all.

WilliamWes likes this.
  22. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I've never been a fan but I'm giving this band another try. With that in mind, what's generally considered their best stuff? Is it the first three albums?

Also two quick questions:

1) Is it true that they always hated the sound of Ten which is why most of the tracks used for rearviewmirror are different versions?

2) Are any songs actually best heard on one of their many (Jesus, many) live albums? i.e. those would have a definitive version? (To use a Who analogy, think of Rock n' Roll Circus and "A Quick One" - that was the definitive version of that song.)

23. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Absolutely.

Best version of "Black" was from their unaired MTV Unplugged performance or from April 3 1994 at the Fox Theater in Atlanta. That's actually an absoltely definitive concert recording for early PJ, a must have.

Hep Alien, JasonA and C6H12O6 like this.
  24. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

You will find their most popular stuff on the first 3 albums. Whether or not it's their best depends on my mood! Personally, I love everything from Ten through Yield. Binaural and Riot Act are more difficult listens. The S/T album released in 2006 is probably my least favorite. They tried to return to form with Backspacer (2009) and Lightning Bolt (2013) and succeeded to some extent. I'm been listening to them all this weekend in honor of their hall of fame induction.

In response to your specific questions:

1) Yes, the band was never happy with the sound/mix of Ten. And criticism from their peers probably didn't help. It has been called arena rock and it had too much reverb and echo. That's why tracks were remixed for the hits compilation and for the deluxe edition of Ten in 2009. IMO the remixes are good but I don't listen to them because the mastering is awful (brickwalled).

2) Definitive versions are constantly debated by fans. One thing is certain, you have to check out their live stuff! Their April 3, 1994 show at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta has what many consider definitive live versions.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Hep Alien, JasonA and PearlJamNoCode like this.
  25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Ten was arena-rock and the video for "Alive" reinforces that. I believe Ten would have been a hit regardless of whether or not "grunge" ever happened, and outside of the fact that they came from Seattle, I find very little in common between PJ and most of the other grunge bands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.