New Red Hot Chili Peppers album 'The Getaway' coming June 17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JasonA, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Fair enough. But for me, BSSM arrived at a good point in my life. Stadium similarly landed when things were at a high. More recently, the vinyl Stadium has increased my appreciation...

2. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Come on, Party, we know the Peppies have been poppy for years. The fans went right with them from funk to rock to alt. rock, and probably to whatever this will be. Plus it's only one song and we know a single doesn't always properly represent the album. Of course I miss John, I want some guitar, but the Chili's have fans with open minds that are willing to hear any type of music they go for. It's growth like another poster said.

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I heard the new song. It sounds like Maroon 5. This band lost the plot since John left sadly. I consider Stadium Arcadium their last masterpiece and the last thing I will ever need to hear from them.

rocknsoul74 and dylan1974 like this.
  4. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

It just kind of shows that John was really propping them up. Without youth and heroin Anthony's talents aren't able to come out, Flea and Chad can't prop up the band alone, and Josh is better suited to 'avant garde' stuff so he's really a square peg in this band. They are all great, but they should probably be working with other musicians (or John) to really bring out their strengths.

5. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Being a long time RHCP fan since Uplift, I don't mind the new poppy production on the new song IMO. Nice hook, cool upfront bass line. The vocal effect where its been smoothed out sounds a little too produced but other than that I'd give a 7-8 out of ten. Guess Im getting old...

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

This new single sounds like it would fit perfectly on Stadium Arcadium. Give it a chance if you haven't already.

jeffrey walsh and lucan_g like this.
  7. I couldn't disagree more. There's nothing even remotely generic about Dark Necessities. The bass line is very cool, and the guitar flourishes are creative and beautiful. This single could very well be my favorite Red Hot Chili Peppers single since Scar Tissue.

8. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Not a bad track, I like the chorus and the guitar solo was good, but......the verses are very generic, sounded like something they've done several times already. Keidis isn't a very inventive vocalist, he tends to use the same vocal melodies too often, imo.

9. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

Agreed about the vocal melodies being repeated. Sorry if it's been mentioned in this thread before, but the verses to Dark Necessities pretty much use the exact same vocal melody from Warlocks from Stadium Arcadium. I still like the song though.

dthomas850 likes this.
  10. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

As he became a better vocalist, he also became stuck in a melodic pattern. He was probably considered a bad technical singer on Cali but I really liked his vocal style back then and some of his lyrics were pretty good. On By the Way, I think his lyrics peaked and John was a big part of melodies on that album. I enjoyed much of his word play back then. I think by Stadium, Anthony started handling it on his own IIRC. In all fairness, it had to be daunting to write 38 complete songs for that album.

This song is pretty good but I can see why some people call it average sounding. I like it so far.

11. Yeah, they wish.

Blaine Jacobs likes this.
  12. bartels76

LOL!

13. You may possibly have misunderstood me. What I meant was that Maroon 5 wish that they sounded this good. ;)

14. bartels76

Oh haha.

15. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I guess what I mean by "pop" is the slick, modern production, much like what Danger Mouse brought to U2's last album. Yeah, I know RHCP have been at heart a pop singles band but up until apparently this album it's been due to their sound and style vs what anyone like Rick Rubin brought to the table. This song's sound is as much if not more a product of Danger Mouse's production as it is The Chili Pepper's performance. And I don't necessarily have a problem with the band trying new styles, producers etc (getting away from Rubin was a good thing, imo), and yeah, there's a whole other album to hear before passing judgement.

One more thing, I am one of the few that *really* liked the last album over anything they've done since Stadium Arcadium.

16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Where is this being pressed? Who's name will be in the deadwax? Is there a UK available as well?

17. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Their last album was the only album since Stadium Arcadium.

JasonA likes this.
  18. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

LOL, brainfart. I meant since Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

19. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

One Hot Minute is the only RHCP that I don't entirely dig.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

It's my favorite :love:

runnersdialzero likes this.
  21. WilliamWes

Now that I heard the single, I know better what you mean. The thing is, I had said they became imo highly-produced for an alt. rock/funk band on "Californication"-but the aggression was still there like on 'All Around the World'. Same with "Stadium Arcadium"- songs like "Tell Me Baby" or "Snow" also feel softer as a result of production.

Here, I think it's slightly sterile. The production is different, but they don't feel loose here other than Flea's recognizable bass. Perhaps it feels too 'scripted'. Still, the melody is fine and it's subdued, but they've been doing that since that '91 mega hit we all know. But I get your point, the Peppers are following as one of the few bands who've done little electronics in comparison with all the pop/rock out in the last decade-I think some of us have a fear that it will be too electronic and not feel like the Peppers. We'll hear I guess. Whatever it is, they're worth giving a try in my opinion.

22. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Bass and piano are nice but the problem with the RHCP has been the same since the early 90s - a lack of melodic creativity. When they were more into funk and Keidis was rapping and shouting it was cool and edgy (to quote some earlier posts). However, since then their music has become increasingly poppy and melodic - but they just cannot write a memorable melody to save their lives - and Keidis is an absolutely awful singer. It's a pity because this could have been a great song - there are some interesting instrumental bits in there...

Lownote30 and mattright like this.
  23. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Add me to the group that likes it, but I have enjoyed all of their later stuff more than their earlier stuff. Glad they aren't trying to re-create what they did 25-30 years ago.

24. WilliamWes

DTK, what's your favorite of the Peppers albums? I'd still go with "Californication"-partially because a lot of those songs I associate with a memorable girlfriend of mine from that time. But still, it's probably got the best of all worlds, the melody, a bit of funk, some rock, etc. I wasn't as put off with "One Hot Minute" as the fans at the time were. Still Navarro didn't quite fit-you know in the last 20 years, only 'Pea' and this year 'Aeroplane' was played from that album. They seem to have totally disowned 'One Hot Minute'-always totally ignore it.

DTK likes this.
  25. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

How do they have all those hits without a single memorable melody? They must be keeping a secret to success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.