Desert Fest: Why Waters but no Gilmour?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, May 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really should be a concert promoter/organizer. They should have Roger & Dave perform TOGETHER at this fest. Call the band "Which one's Pink". Use various musicians from each other's bands. Perform only classic Floyd tracks, with an emphasis on DSOTM/WYWH/WALL (as much as i'd love a deeper setlist---won't happen). Throw in "Astronomy Domine" as a nice tribute to Syd & Rick. Amends made, it could be billed as the last ever pseudo-Floyd performance. Everyone's happy, including PF fans of all eras. What do you guys think?

tedg65 likes this.
  2. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

agreed, but sadly won't happen. it would be nice if Page, Plant and Jones were there too.

3. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

Pastle likes this.
  4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the thought crossed their mind...as it does all of our minds...and then they remembered the reality of the situation. Never. Gonna. Happen.

5. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Sure! And all the tickets should be free. The drugs too. And every concert goer should leave with a free unicorn and cadillac.

jmpatrick, ARK, Tim Wilson and 12 others like this.
  6. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Also, imagine how much higher the ticket would be... I'm sure the promoter wants to maintain a reasonable ticket price for the average music fan.

Har.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  7. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Yeah, and perhaps Roger and David could shave their heads and dip them in LSD before the show!

coniferouspine likes this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think Roger and David have no interest in playing together and no concert promoter is going to be able to change that.

ARK likes this.
  9. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I think Roger probably would, but Gilmour's not going to get his fingers burned there again.

He's made his position clear enough in the past: particularly after Live 8, and all the clamouring for the band to reform.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

It doesnt seem like Waters and Gilmour are very fond of one another anymore.

They probably would not ever want to be booked separately at the same festival, where thousands of people wouldnt stop asking them to perform together.

CorporalClegg likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is the feeling I get as well. Realistically, they probably both put on a better show separately than they would together. It was their collaborations in the studio that made them great more so than a touring act. With that said I will completely contradict myself and say Rogers live show would be much better with David on guitar and vocals and perhaps it would inspire him to play something other than The Wall. I don't think Rogers bass playing and vocals would help Davids live act but his direction could make it a little less of an "endless intro".

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Exactly. The OP seems to believe that no one involved with the concert thought "hey, sure would be nice to have Pink Floyd - or something similar - here!"

ARK and elgoodo like this.
  13. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Do you genuinely think they weren't asked?

14. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I would bet the real reason that it is Waters and Not Gilmour is money. Meaning, I think David gets more money for plugging in his guitar than Roger does.

elgoodo likes this.
  16. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Waters and Gilmour are actually somewhat cordial now, guesting at each other's shows periodically. But while Waters (and Mason) would probably be willing, I think Gilmour would reunite only for charity, same way he did for Live 8.

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Waters has been doing bigger gigs in recent years by touring the Wall. Of course Dave could do even bigger by touring as Pink Floyd. That was their settlement. Waters got the Wall; Dave got Pink Floyd

18. Oatsdad

Ooh, I doubt that. After all, Waters pulled off the mega-successful "Wall" tour, and that one came with very expensive tickets.

Sure, a lot of that was due to the spectacle - Waters probably wouldn't have gotten $250 a ticket for a scaled-down show - but I don't think Gilmour's prices have rivaled those.

Wonder how a Gilmour-led "Wall" tour would have done?

19. Oatsdad

Ha - we posted similar comments in rapid succession. You beat me! :mad: ;)

Comparing Waters solo or Gilmour solo to "Pink Floyd" isn't fair, as it's clear people will pay more for the name on the ticket. If Page and Plant had called their tour "Led Zeppelin", it would've sold much, much better...

20. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Thread is 58 minutes old and still no "McCartney but no Ringo" comment -- this place is slipping!

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If you want a fair comaprison, either allow the respective use of TW and PF or allow neither to be used.

22. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Exactly. Because promoters can make bands that have split up do their bidding and get back together all the time. Right?
    (directed at OP, obviously, and not you)

ARK and elgoodo like this.
  23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Cordial in the sense that two divorced parents keep things civil for the sake of their children. In fact... Gilmour even said it was like playing with your ex-spouse.

Not exactly a recipe for a great musical performance. And no... I do not think Gilmour/Waters can pull of a Richard/Linda "Shoot out the Lights" kinda tour...

24. there's a bit of time between now and October. who's to say who'll show up on the day of ...

25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

nobody wants that. not even ringo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.