Favorite new show: Orphan Black on BBC America

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

Maybe its time to end this show and stick Mislay in a remake of the Patty Duke Show, but with five identical cousins. You can lose your mind

Craig likes this.
  2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I gave up on this show about 3 episodes into season 3.

3. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Haven't seen S3 yet, but the general consensus seems to be that the season got better late. But I thought this trend toward short seasons was supposed to result in "all killer, no filler" compared to the antiquated 22-episode show orders. Doesn't appear to be the case with Orphan Black. But at least its showrunners and writers get plenty of rest... :laugh:

4. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Yeah, you'd think I was describing a 22-ep season. Sadly, no.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The show is basically UK driven (ie, the American arm of a UK based media giant makes the show in Canada for an American cable station!) and since they've always had short seasons of around six eps, you can't really view it from a totally American perspective.

I think the problem was that the producers were caught by surprise by the success and critical acclaim of the show's first season and that they had no clear plan how to continue the story. Adding more clones and a sliding scale of badder corporate villains and isolating the clones to tell sometimes ridiculous sub-stories (Alison & Donnie arc - WTF?), wasn't the way to do it.

Perhaps it's a case of recapturing lightning-in-a-bottle. Hard to do - just ask Homeland.

6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Man, you guys are a tuff crowd! Even though this season was the weakest, I by no means think it's time to pull the plug. Tatiana Maslany is still showing herself to be one of the most talented young actors to come along in quite some time. This work she's doing is very possibly cinematic history. Certainly nothing like this has ever been done before, truly 21st century! You should head over to bbcamerica.com for an inside look at the filming of the supper scene in the finale (was amazing!). Much like the dance scene in the season 2 finale, it was a technological feat of wonder. That Maslany can infuse so much heart and soul into into such a scientific process is simply amazing, this kid is truly gifted!

wolfram and etzeppy like this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree with you 100% about Maslany, but the show cannot solely depend on her talents - there must be more substance and coherence to the basic story that they're trying to tell. Maslany has been consistently good throughout every season, but compare the awesomeness of season 1 with season 2 & 3. The difference is a lack direction and new ideas.

chacha and Planbee like this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I made it to the end of this season. . . more by habit than driven to. May pick up next season. . .or not. This one was somewhat. . .boring.

9. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

It's never a good sign when I catch myself checking the time or checking Facebook during a season finale.

10. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I still have a lot of catching up to do. I'm only half way through season 2, so I didn't want to read too much of this thread in fear of spoilers. I had been avoiding this show based on a few brief overviews I had read (and been told). However, once I caved in, I really liked it from episode 1. It's silly and ridiculous at times, but they found a way to make it work. The craziness is on a slow enough drip that you don't overdose. The pacing is really quick too, without being confusing. The lead actress is amazing and makes you forget that these are not different people on screen. Overall, it's really well done and a fun ride.

11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Season premiere Thursday 10 p.m.

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

A very fine return to form! The season 4 premier felt like an episode from the (best) 1st season for a number of reasons. I won't get into specifics so as not to spoil but as a fan it was more than satisfying. A great episode that oddly enough, had Maslany playing one character for the majority of it, although 5 clones made appearances! I hope they can sustain this level of quality for the rest of the season. I even enjoyed the Talking Dead clone aftershow; After The Black!

chacha and Deesky like this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, I agree with that completely. It was a little disorienting at the very beginning until it became clear that it was a
    flashback to season 1
    episode.

The reason it worked so well is because the narrative was tightly focused from beginning to end, rather than meandering all over the place with much delayed payoffs many episodes later (which was a problem in seasons after the first one). Let's hope the showrunners keep it up.

LOL, I never thought I'd hear the phrase 'surgically bifurcated *****"! :D

Thumbs up so far.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    DigMyGroove and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I recorded the episode. Good to read some positive reviews. Based on the lack of response to my season premiere post, I figured most had given up on it here. Anyway, I'm looking more forward to it now.

15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I recorded last night as well. Looking forward to it from positive reviews I've read.

16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Good episode. After last season went really out there nice to basically get a prequel of Season 1. Funny the way the pilot opens I never really thought much about why Beth did what she did but I should have known that would have been important to the rest of the series.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Follow up episode 2 was also very good. The flashback narrative to (pre) season 1 is working well.

Spoilers....

Is it just me or did the picture of Dr Leekie on the front cover of his book Neolution look suspiciously like Max Headroom? :)

The show gets a lot of the scientific jargon right when it comes to genetics and scientific study protocols, so I was particularly tickled when we learned that Helena was pregnant with identical twins, which of course are actual natural colones!

And the ending scene was very affecting as Sarah is asked what was that thing implanted in her cheek and she replies "I don't know...I don't know" in such a vulnerable, frightened way it just makes you want to give her a hug to comfort her. Nicely done.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I thought the final scene between MK and Beth was a thing of wonder! Technically brilliant, as are all the scenes Maslany does with 'herself'. It always amazes me how emotional these can get, the combination of the technology and her phenomenal acting chops always impresses me. How this particular scene plays out, how it leads up to the realization that this leads directly into the very 1st scene from the 1st season! WOW!!

19. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree.

I really enjoyed what I call the "navel" episode. It should be featured that prominently every week. :)

I think the "After The Black" series is an indication that BBC thinks this season is a lot better than the last. I hope it keeps being this good.

20. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Sara never dressed like that before, but I figured it was to contrast her flat belly with Helena's (slightly) pregnant belly. It was a little distracting but I'm not complaining one bit.

21. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Don't forget the Alison workout scene, too.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ep 4 was very good I thought. Lots of plot advancement and interesting developments. And even the humorous bits were well done - I loved the Donny/Felix as couple ruse at the fertility clinic and what it took to get Donny...going! :D

23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've only seen the first two episodes but this season is off to a really promising start. Much better for me than last season. The opener was terrific.

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The aftershow had Maslany's screen double as a guest. Man, when she described the process used to create the multiple clone scenes, I'm left with even more admiration for Tatiana Maslany's gifted acting skills!

PhilJol likes this.
  25. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Fabulous season so far, and this week's ep was one of the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.