Best-sounding CD for the Carpenters "Close to You"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joshua277456, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident Thread Starter

A sample wouldn't be of much help. Especially if it's just one part of one song.

I'd have to see a screenshot of the entire CD image loaded into a program like Audacity to check the entire thing

Probably too much trouble for you go to so I'm not going to ask.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  2. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

My personal favorite CD version of this album is my copy from West Germany. It has the original mixes and sounds a bit better to me then the remastered classic version which is okay but a tad lifeless sounding in comparison.

I also love the regular U.S. version with the remixes as it sounds wonderful. If I want to hear the album purely on a best sounding I'd go with that version but I tend to play the West German more because I enjoy the original mixes.

3. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The first couple tracks. Please note they have been gain adjusted.

http://i.imgur.com/GOOXP2A.jpg

4. Joshua277456

Oh wow...thanks

Do the rest of them look like that? No peak limiting and full dynamics?

5. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Yep, it's all fine.

6. Joshua277456

Thanks again...that is exactly what I like to see.

Seeing the waveform really helps me to judge how a remaster is going to sound. Full dynamics and no limiting usually indicates that the mastering engineer actually gives a damn about how it sounds and actually knows what he's doing.

From my experiences, remaster with full dynamics usually sound better precisely because the engineer takes care in doing the whole thing properly.

Lucidae likes this.
  7. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I know exactly what you mean, and for that reason almost all of my CD's are early "non-remastered" pressings.

8. Joshua277456

I love early CDs. Some people say that since A/D converts weren't quite as advanced, they don't sound very good.

But I love the early ones, especially CDs that predate the loudness war (1983-1995). They almost always have fully dynamics and absolutely no peak limiting or compression. Love it!

Besides, I don't think the A/D converter makes a huge difference. Mastering is more important. Engineer skill is more important. Of course you can tell the difference between a cheap consumer A/D converter and a professional one, but for professional A/D converters, you'd be pretty hard-pressed to tell the difference. Only some of the earliest A/D technology had obvious audible flaws

I will always take a chance on a CD between made between 1983-1990 because that's when they actually cared about making great-sounding CDs

9. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I couldn't agree more. Some of those old CD's really surprise me, too bad they are often overlooked.

10. Joshua277456

And often times they're cheap and abundant.

More for me!

Lucidae likes this.
  11. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

12. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

It is one of those superb SACD releases that justifies buying an Oppo for the ability to play this SHM-SACD (UIGY-9542).
    But, being late to the party, prepare to open your wallet.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's no longer available from CD Japan. There is one used copy on amazon.com for $573.69. :yikes:

14. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

A seller from Japan has one up on eBay $130 sealed.
    Or you can try new/sealed from Canadian Amazon http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00FW67H7Q/

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

A bit more reasonable. :) I'm glad I pre-ordered it from CD Japan last year.

tribby2001 likes this.
  16. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

FWIW, I just downloaded Close To You (16/44) from Pono Music. I believe it's the original CD, not the remaster. $10...and sounds really good.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. sszorin

sszorin Forum Resident

I assume you speak about SHM-CD with platinum coating. Truly, when I heard this Japanese CD I was astounded and I said - 'This is unbelievable sound'.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

According to Carpenters: All The Top 40 Hits by Craig Halstead, Singles 1974-1978 was not released in the U.S due to the declining popularity of the Carpenters, but it was released in the U. K. and in Canada.

19. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I'm not an expert, but have what I think is the original A&M AM+ mastering. Got it for a buck at a thrift shop. Sounds nice, warm and analog. Of course, the Wrecking Crew was just so damn good on it. Karen's voice in particular (the star of their show) is just so compelling and lovely. I listen to it now and recall how uncool they were among my circle when it came out. I was so wrong.

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

What does this mean?!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.