The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

So if I'm correct, this fall 73' run was the debut of "Wolf" for Jerry. And Bobby with the "335" Gibson. Phil using "Mission Control" is coming through nicely on this first disc and I've got the heart of this show coming in disc 2 and 3. Man I love this 73 sound.

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Glaring omission:
    11/30/73, 12/1/73, 12/2/73. The sandwich bread is DP14, but check out the chunky, not smooth, peanut butter in the middle. Full bias disclosure: my first show. But 12/1 is full of stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth goodness. No jam needed.

3. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Add 2/9/73 to your list, Chuck. 6 new songs were introduced that evening, and the whole show is excellent. And the 11/23/73 show from El Paso has been praised here-haven't heard that one myself.

Jason Tenney, budwhite and LUNACHUCK like this.
  4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Jerry's site has Jerry-Saunders Pirates Ball benefit show 9/5/73 as the debut. We were tracking it down some starting around here, and I couldn't find anything sooner than the pics in post 10917.

It is tough for me to recommend good '73 shows because it is all so damn good to me, but just going over that older half of the thread I stumbled across me raving about 3-28-73. @US Blues approved especially the last hour and if my posts back then are accurate it curled my toes. If you want killer sq, the Miller master reel to hi res transfer of 7-1-73

budwhite, LUNACHUCK and US Blues like this.
  5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Jerry received the Wolf after his birthday show in August, for the Wake of the Flood recording sessions in the Bay Area. At the time the guitar did not have the Wolf sticker on it. The Wolf premiered on 7 September 1973 at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, NY, and was used at every show through 20 October 1974, Winterland.

And I concur with Jerry above, Dick's 14 with the inclusion of at least the Playing In The Band > Uncle John's Band > Playing In The Band from 1 December is a requirement. The transition into Uncle John's Band will make your weekend listening 'every so much more so.'

And I will add- listen to the Dark Star from 24 June 1973 in Portland.

budwhite and LUNACHUCK like this.
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Please note I was noted the Grateful Dead debut in concert, your note regarding the Garcia/Saunders show is accurate. Additionally, as noted, he had already used it in the studio in August.

LUNACHUCK and bmoregnr like this.
  7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm listening to the '67 30 Trips show. Great @Archtop during "Alligator" from about 9:46-10:21 where Phil jams away when Jerry takes a breather. It seems like Phil is on the verge of challenging Jerry before that segment but really Phil is just kind of in his own world, doing his own thing, while he takes it all in and plays it all out.

8. ducksdeluxe

Out of the office @ 1 today. Time to wrap up the college tournament. 4/15/78 up first and 1/22/78 right behind it. Taking notes and everything.

bmoregnr, WiseJake237 and budwhite like this.
  9. zenarus

zenarus Forum Resident

Yes very good....I would have picked 11/21/73 instead of the 20th, or maybe picked both..

10. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

11/21 is included in full in the Road Trips pictured and sounding wonderful ;)

bmoregnr and wavethatflag like this.
  11. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Hope to make out there some day - keep up the good work.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

To get the full flavor of 1973 you might want to include one of the "horns" shows from September. 9/11, 9/21 and 9/26 are all good.

ianuaditis and LUNACHUCK like this.
  13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Great sound mix with Phil loud and clear!
    Welcome sunshine to the great north. We've missed you since last September

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Good pick for the occasion (and nice to hear you've got some good weather). Chase that with a nice '73 Here Comes Sunshine and you're all set.

budwhite and LUNACHUCK like this.
  15. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

What a (Dark Star) tease they are coming out of this 11/21/73 Playing>El Paso :cool:

Jason Tenney and US Blues like this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

This morning my iPod shuffle served up the Dark Star->Sitting On Top of the World->Dark Star sandwich from Dave's 3, very tasty indeed. A neat twist to have a Jerry song in the incongruous transition from outer space to a down to earth song and back slot, and it worked well.

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Loud and clear Keith on tack piano!

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Beat Club, 1972: someone synchronized the audio from the E72 release and the video. I hope one day we see it officially released on dvd/bluray/vhs (well, they can ignore the latter, I guess). The guys were on fire even on TV playing to no audience, we have nice shots of them all, (Donna looks particularly pretty here), the psychedelic background is not bleeding all over the musicians, and when I imagine this on HD with a 5.1 mix, paired with the Copenhagen show, I can only go :drool:
    C'mon, Dave, you can do it!

nitsuj, highway, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  19. WiseJake237

WiseJake237 Forum Resident

Coincidentally, I just listened to this bonus disc this afternoon, for the first time in ages. I forgot what a monster this Dark Star was. I mean, I knew it was long and everything, but WOW! About 20 minutes before the first verse even kicks in?? I think so, but I completely lost my bearings on time and space for a while there, so I can't verify that for sure...

budwhite, ducksdeluxe and LUNACHUCK like this.
  20. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Q: What do you do when you finish playing an all-time hot show in Hollywood?
    A: Drive down I-5 and play another hot show in San Diego the following night!

8/7/71 San Diego (as featured on Dick's Picks 35)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

nitsuj, ruben lopez, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  21. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That is a frame-worthy photo for sure and I have seen very few like it.

Jason Tenney likes this.
  22. ducksdeluxe

What guitar is Jerry playing? Looks like Bobby's guitar from about then.

23. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I hooked up my laptop to the flat-screen and watched this:

Cool show at a classic venue: The Capitol in Passaic, NJ. It's very much typical of 1978, in the sense that it's on-the-edge: loose and unpredictable, sometimes erratic, but often brilliant. In this case, though, it's also because of external factors, since Jerry is coming down with laryngitis here. The band would actually have to cancel shows after this. You can hear it becoming inevitable during "Fire on the Mountain," and afterwards, Jerry doesn't even do his back-up vocals on the "Johnny B. Goode" encore.

But this is a fun show to watch: it's well-shot in color, and the quality is good enough to blow up on a larger screen. It starts out tentatively, though, and "Sugaree" is no great shakes. The highlight of the first set is definitely "Loser," with a great solo from Jerry. We also get a partial "Promised Land" as the set closer, and it's a high-energy one. But yeah, this is pretty much all about the second set, and especially the "Estimated" > "Shakedown" > "Olin Arrageed" > "Fire on the Mountain". Throughout the show, Jerry seems to be compensating for his vocal shortcomings, and this is definitely in evidence in the big jam segment.

(The YouTube videos are mislabeled: set one is actually set two and vice versa).

budwhite, Crispy Rob and Jason Tenney like this.
  24. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

budwhite likes this.
  25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

My best guess is a Gibson Les Paul Special DC (double cutaway) in TV yellow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]