Re-wrapped CDs sold as "NEW"

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Joy-of-radio, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Granted, but there are often telltale signs. For example, the wrapping may not have Y-folds on the corners of the jewel case. The case may not exhibit the typical security sticker along the top. However, the proof in the pudding is typically the condition of the jewel case's contents. I examine my CDs carefully under a strong direct light from various different angles. If there are even the slightest scuffs or scratches, I can see them! I also use my nose, smelling for any traces of tobacco or other musty odors. Many compact discs that are in original packaging have promotional stickers plastered to the outside of the cellophane. If present, you can typically rest assured that the package has never been opened.

tmtomh likes this.
  2. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I used to work in a Borders music dept also. Man did I hate having to re-shrinkwrap the huge piles of cd's that "customers" chose not to buy (which was about 90% of the time). The best was the guy who listened to a cd that I opened for him, liked it, but wanted to buy a "fresh" copy.

FWIW, I've seen cd's with original wrap look like they were packaged by a gorilla, so I have no problem with receiving a rewrap as long as the contents are minty.

Joy-of-radio, tmtomh and Jeff Kent like this.
  3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

What was his screen name? ;)

4. Hotdog

Hotdog Well-Known Member

@Malina did you manage to get any money back on older purchases? I've got a nasty feeling that certain Amazon UK sellers have been selling me used products which they list as "new" - especially those Fulfilled by Amazon. The problem is they date back over a year, well outside the refund window.

I bought some of the Ella Fitzgerald 1980s Songbook CDs "new" this week via FBA. I'm fairly convinced that several are reseal jobs. The cellophane and the cases tend to match the descriptions here:
    Resealed CDs Sold as New on Amazon UK (and other places)

I think the chances of new copies for a 1980s CD are slim, so in future I'm going to take extreme caution in ordering anything that is deleted/OOP which is available "new". Better to risk it being used, and at least it'll be honest.

But what really irks me is the fact I've probably been duped for a while, especially on purchases I can't now return. I wonder if Amazon would listen if I detailed the orders in an email or letter (the former I guess). Otherwise, my only option would be to sell them myself, probably to musicMagpie who buy collections, and I might get at least some of the money back. I've probably bought a few dozen CDs over the last year which may be resealed. Any advice?

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I would not worry about it. There is TONS of mis-information in these threads. Many CDs originating from the EU aren't sealed from the factory, in which case there is not any standard on how they will be wrapped (distributors will often wrap them, just because customers complain if they aren't wrapped).

There are dishonest sellers who sell used as new, and who rewrap. But there are also a lot of honest sellers who sell brand new CDs that have been 3rd party wrapped (not rewrapped)

melstapler, Hotdog and tmtomh like this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

Anti-theft, I imagine.

My brother came up with a clever way to handle that annoying sticker:

1. Remove outer cellophane.
    2. Looking at the CD cover, Unhinge the bottom clip that attaches the cover.
    3. Fold cover upward.
    4. Peel sticker slowly off the back of the case, using the cover for leverage.
    5. Peel sticker slowly off the cover.
    6. Re-attach the cover.

tmtomh and Jeff Kent like this.
  7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I've received a few reseals from online orders, and I've seen a ton of them in used CD stores. I've never, however, been fooled into thinking a reseal was factory sealed. Not saying this to sound arrogant, just echoing what others have noted above - that reseals, even good ones, tend to lack that last bit of precision of factory seals, and therefore are easy to spot.

I have gotten a few reseals from UK/EU sellers, which either were advertised as used when I purchased them, or were totally mint and most likely never were sealed from the factory.

I've also gotten a couple of reseals advertised as brand-new from one source <cough>Amazon Marketplace</cough>, and I've gotten a full refund every time, never having to send the CD back.

I'm convinced that sellers who advertise reseals as new either figure the occasional return is worth the price premium they can charge for selling their items as brand-new; or that they have 1000s of discs they've gotten in bulk and they advertise the few that are sealed as "new" without bothering to check if they really are.

Either way, I think the vast majority of these sellers are high-volume folks who consider refunds to the small niche of discerning customers to be a small and acceptable cost of doing business.

Hotdog likes this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

I have purchased two reseals, luckily both were bought from amazon and using the A-Z guarantee I got a huge discount on both.

tmtomh likes this.
  9. Hotdog

Hotdog Well-Known Member

Yes, it's true that many new CDs aren't sealed or shrink wrapped when new. This can be seen in retail stores. However, I feel I may have been conned by some Amazon Marketplace sellers, such as best_value_entertainment and A ENTERTAINMENT. I've bought deleted "new" CDs from the former and other Amazon users report that they are merely cleaning up used stock.
    Amazon.co.uk: Customer Discussions: "Reseals" - old product passed off as new. Anyone else sick of these?

I probably don't buy too many CDs which are deleted yet sold as "new", but I smell a rat with these 1980s Ella Songbook ones. At the very least, they have replaced the cases. I think the vertical jewel case tabs for the booklet are a bit of a giveaway. I think perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part to imagine I could buy releases that old as "new". Instead I should maybe stick to secondhand for long-deleted titles.

It's concerning that Movie Mars/Rare Waves/All Your Music is reported to have done it, although I've never noticed anything wrong with their products. They seem a bit more reputable so maybe as a proper retailer they only do it with returned stock.

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

:realmad:

Hotdog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.