2016 Paul McCartney compilation album - "Pure McCartney" *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KaptKopter, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

yeah but for what it is (2 CD's) some on here argue it is more comprehensive than the 4 CD box?

SteveM likes this.
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I couldn’t be bothered with this compilation. The man was amazing from 1962-1970 and solo 1970 to 1977.
    After that I can only take some songs from some of his albums.:hide:

3. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

From A Lover To A Friend and Magic are also good considerations for Pure McCartney since I believe both are about Linda.

4. Wingsfan2012

I still wonder what Capitol/MPL were smoking when they decided to make "From A Lover" the first single from "Driving Rain"? To me it could be Paul's weakest single ever in his entire career! Other than some AC stations it was avoided like the plague on radio. Just not a good song (very slow and plodding along). It sounds like a "half finished" song! The whole "I'm in a dilemna" part with mumbled lyrics....yuck! Also not a fan of Abe's drumming on it and I think big Abe is great! Glad it is not on "Pure McCartney". That case of a first single I think also gave no sales boost to the album after "Wingspan" earlier in the year did so well. Not a lot of pre-album buzz for "DR" from what I remember 15 years ago! And that awful original album cover too-yuck! I did love the "tour edition" cover taken from the "Lonely Road" video!

Paul H, Carlox, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  5. Wingsfan2012

I almost sent you a Lady Mucca pic but I knew I would be drawn and quartered if I did so!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Wingsfan2012

After "Pure McCartney" comes out, an enterprising fan has done some nice photo shop work. Looks awesome, if it could only be this easy...............

[​IMG]

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Looks great, but we won't be getting photos of either Denny on any of the CD faces.

8. Wingsfan2012

I also think "BOTR" the first reissue was the last to have just the single album disc release. I think the rest have all been 2 CD sets. With of course "WOA" staying a 2 CD set.

9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

PRE-ORDERED!

(yeah, I'm the pre-ordered guy!)

:goodie: :whistle: :uhhuh:

JDeanB and HominyRhodes like this.
  10. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Actually BOTR was the first and only reissue to have 3 disc in a non-deluxe edition. I believe McCartney I, II and Ram had 1 disc, 2 disc, vinyl and book editions. Subsequent releases dropped the 1-disc option.

Wingsfan2012 and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

My favourite too.:agree:

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  12. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Wow! You are a genius. :eek::laugh:

13. SixOClockBoos

I'm my opinion, the lead off single should've been Driving Rain. Usually albums that have their names taken from a song usually have the song which shares its name with the album as a single. Probably since Driving Rain had low sales they never got around to releasing another single to support it and Driving Rain was never a single as a result. The only albums coming to mind that don't have a song that shares its name with the album title as a single are Wild Life, Flaming Pie, Run Devil Run and Driving Rain, Bad Boy and Cloud Nine

Haristar, Lewisboogie and theMess like this.
  14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I happen to love the song,(and the album) but agree that it was a terrible song to pick as the single. Instead of exploding out of the radio, it probably had people dozing off and crashing their cars on the way home from work.

I'm glad you noticed the drumming also. I've mentioned the amateurish drumming in the song in a couple of older threads and nobody ever picked up on the point and agreed.

Pure McCartney is the first release of Paul's that I'm going to pass on because I have everything that's on it already.I had everything on Wingspan also, but I bought that one out of...habit I guess. :D

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    whisper3978, Paul H and theMess like this.
  15. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I'll probably pass as well unless there is a hi Rez download.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  16. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Wingspan was an easier "buy" because it had some non-lp single mixes. I passed on this new one.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  17. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm not a McCartney scholar but I've read that Ringo chose it as the single.

18. Glenn Christense

Yes, I remember reading back in the era that Paul said he played the Driving Rain tracks to Ringo and Ringo said " There's your single. " (From A Lover To A Friend)

the sands, theMess and 905 like this.
  19. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

It's the best song on a hard-going album. Not a bad album just McCartney's (only) bleak LP.

20. Glenn Christense

I like all of Driving Rain actually. If you are using the word bleak to mean downbeat , I think Chaos and Creation in the Backyard has a more melancholy , depressed feel to it than Driving Rain.

If you are using bleak to mean not up to his usual standards, I disagree but that's not unusual here . We will all never agree on which of his albums are his "best" and which ones are his "dogs ". We can agree though (I think, except for the occasional thread troll) that we all like most of his things , just not always the same things , because his catalog is so deep and varied.

21. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Bleak as in depressing, and a bit light on tunes too for Paul, but very interesting. I think C&CitB is pretty mostly, not bleak and/or depressing imo. And more tuneful.

Mr. Explorer and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That's awesome:righton:...I'm not even a big Wildlife fan, but that mock up is awesome. Wonder if the real thing (if they ever get round to it) would look like that?

the sands, theMess and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  23. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

I believe this mock-up originated here a few years ago, can't remember the original created. Didn't expect it would take this long to reissue Wild Life though!

the sands and theMess like this.
  24. SixOClockBoos

If Ringo had also chose the singles from his albums from 1977-1981, then him choosing the lead single off of Driving Rain was a trainwreck move. Ringo The 4th had some of the pretty bad single selection, but there was almost nothing able to help that album sadly or Bad Boy. Attention or You've Got A Nice Way should've been a single IMO from SASTR instead of Private Property.

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No. You likely did NOT have the "Bip Bop/Hey Diddle" medley, which was previously unreleased on CD/LP!! That's the reason that I had to purchase it!

Bemagnus, theMess, mrjinks and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.