David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

The content of the Golden Years is set to be revealed within the next fortnight.

Quark1134, Curveboy, mdm08033 and 4 others like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Did you just reveal the official title? "Golden Years"?

JediJoker likes this.
  3. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Me too. No Berlin trilogy. No buying. I have originals of all the main ones in that list and rarely listen to them to be honest.

DeRosa likes this.
  4. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Whatever is in the Box just make it the Best Audiophile Pressing Ever.I still have 30 years playing left in me.:righton:
    Stump

JulesDassin likes this.
  5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Only 20 years old, your still a baby....;)

6. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

This boxset needs to be priced accordingly if only 3 studio albums. I bought Five Years and would be in for this, albeit i wouldnt be that interested in shelling out £185 for it this time...

7. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat. 1974 through 1976 is probably my least favorite Bowie period.

It's Felix likes this.
  8. Station to Station is my favorite Bowie album.

I just found (and purchased) a mint condition, lightly used copy of the Station to Station box set. Man, it's a doozy! I can see why it was priced so high upon release. Huge and very well done. The music inside doesn't hurt, either. ;)

FLF, pobbard and mdm08033 like this.
  9. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Yeah, that use to be one of my favorites too. Now I can't seem to get past the first track o_O

mdm08033 likes this.
  10. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Station to Station just keeps growing and to be honest that process never stops. Took me a while to get to grips with it from starting with Low and "Heroes" and playing a friend's vinyl of STS, but it's quite a statement with so much detail and a kind of warm sound (esp in drums) and layers of slicky guitar. And surely that miraculous 74 tour; any true fan wishes he'd been born earlier and in the US just for that tour. The original RCA (vinyl or cd) has all the details and right sound; with its counterpart hidden on the STS box set dvd coming close.

Billy Budapest, Remy and mdm08033 like this.
  11. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I agree completely.. When my friends and I were in our 20s and we occupied the same headspace as Bowie did during this period of his career, this album went on every night.

Now it's more of a transitional piece to me, an album I play but rarely play through.

12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

If you haven't seen it please check out the Bloom County tribute to Mr. Jones, #133 Ziggy »

I especially love the cigarette in dangling from Milo's lips. I don't smoke but I wish I could be so cool.

Billy Budapest and seaisletim like this.
  13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Congrats. I still don't regret my overpriced promo version, but that's because I don't do vinyl anymore. I see that I missed out on the "RCA" disc from the big box, but I'm as happy as a pig in poop with the version on the DVD labeled "Original Analogue Master".

I say bring the box on. My 2 favorite 70s LPs are DD and StS. You may say I'm a dreamer, but we might even get a properly mastered Nassau Coliseum out of the deal. After all, it was already "officially released".

Billy Budapest and mdm08033 like this.
  14. Ha! Funny.

Station to Station is really a case of "the sum is greater than the parts." I always feel like it's meant to be played end to end, sort of like a Bowie Dark Side of the Moon. Wild is the Wind is such a great album closer.

15. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

There's an EMI 100 Hunky Dory on eBay now, in case anyone wants to upgrade to an AAA version. It's brilliant.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Me neither

17. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I can't say I blame anybody for not picking the next box up without the Berlin trilogy, but I just can't imagine how else you'd split up the post-Five Years material. It's those double live albums that make the whole package seem a bit thin, but they're official releases, so they can't really skip them o_O

I'm getting it anyway. Never had a decent copy of David Live.

18. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Not quite but I will be around till Im 84 yrs old!

bob60 likes this.
  19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I don't need no shelf-threatening boxes. And makes sense to split the stuff up into smaller packages. The Dogs->Station era is so different to the Berlin era. I'll wait for a repress of Low and then I'm done. I'm glad they put it (5 years) all out on single CDs and LPs eventually.

TonyCzar likes this.
  20. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

I'm just hoping for the best versions of Diamond Dogs and Station To Station.
    Those two are in my top5 Bowie albums :)

21. The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man The Freedom Man

Sorry if this has already been memtioned, but is there already a date set for the next box?

22. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

We'll know within a few weeks, I believe.

23. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Wonder what will be on Re:Call 2? I suspect it might be a single LP as there's not much non-album material from 1974-6 (if you exclude inessential single edits).

24. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Why would they exclude single edits? They didn't on the first volume.

I did a quick tally a while back, and it does look a lot less compelling than the first volume for this period. "Inessential single edits" are the starter, main course and dessert! I think the live 'Panic in Detroit', 'John, I'm Only Dancing Again' and the US remix of 'Rebel Rebel' are the only non-album or particularly different tracks from this period released on singles. Everything else will be single edits (though some might have slightly different mixes), and even if they go to Australia and France for their unique edits of 'Diamond Dogs' and 'Station to Station', everything should still fit on a single CD.

25. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

John I'm Only Dancing (Again) poses an interesting question as it wasn't released until 1979 so theoretically, if they keep to official contemporary releases only then, it doesn't qualify to be in Recall 2 but will for Recall 3!

sunspot42 likes this.