How to Buy the Best Turntable and Stereo System for Your Record Collection

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by seaisletim, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident Thread Starter

mschrist likes this.
  2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I give it a 6.3.

:nauga:

I ding it for not discussing record cleaning beyond a carbon-fiber brush — not even the Spin-Clean.

Solid, basic starter to moderate stuff. I sorta hate the hipster double standard on price and excellence. Apple computers and iPhones and fashion and cameras and home video/gaming entertainment etc. can add up to many, many thousands and are mandatory, but even hi-fi gear in the three figures is viewed as insanely expensive wild extravagance.

3. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

I like the way the Technics SL-1200 always gets a special mention in these articles. Bearing in mind what people seem to charge for ex-DJ, beaten up models here in the UK it's mythical status is all out of proportion. In stock form it's poor, yes it can be audiophile but your spouse and bank manager better be on board.

Honestly for entry level beginners I'd just say go and get some cheap gear and spin your records. If you want to be a bit more meticulous about it then join a forum and learn a bit about hi-fi and ask for some advice.

seaisletim likes this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Not bad, but the speaker section is horrifically weak for a starter set up article. There are a ton of affordable speakers between $100 and $1000 to choose from with excellent quality of sound. To show the two mediocre selections for $250 and under, and then to jump to a $2100 pair of esoteric speakers, and end it there...nope, not as helpful as it could be.

seaisletim likes this.
  5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

This weekend I'll be hooking up my roommate's Rosewood Connoisseur BD 103 turntable with a classic Koetsu Rosewood cartridge. Just discovered that he also has a Mitchell Cotter preamp. Anyone familiar with this?

6. king charles the third

king charles the third New Member

An excellent article very engaging .

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

They should just sum up the SL-1200 this way: "If you want a good turntable that will still be working in 40 years, get an SL-1200, present company, aka the new re-design, not included. Nudge, Nudge. But perhaps it's superbly engineered, then all will be happy.

Kristeva likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.