Star Trek: Beyond (July 22, 2016)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by music and movies, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I wish I had psychic powers that would allow me to intelligently judge 2 hour films from 2 minute trailers.

I've seen sh** films that had awesome trailers...and great films that had horrible trailers.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, the film is the film. They chose to release the first trailer filled with scenes they thought would showcase the 'strengths' of the film. Only after a negative public backlash did they decide to de-emphasize the elements they originally thought were selling points and to switch to a more 'acceptable' trailer to placate the fans. Couple that with the trends in the earlier films and you don't need crystal balls or psychic powers to form an early opinion.

jriems likes this.
  3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I did not see that one in the theaters.

Darryl

4. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Well it looks better than the first trailer they put out. But the Enterprise destroyed again. The Enterprise is iconic. It's what always made the show, and the movies. Why couldn't the writer's just leave it alone.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Now the destruction of the Enterprise has become iconic! Why do they do it? It's a lazy way to generate drama and emotion. But it's been done so many times now that it just generates eye rolls!

6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Agreed, to me it's one of the things you just can't do in Star Trek anymore. What movies have destroyed or critically damaged the Enterprise, II, III, Generations, First Contact, others?

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

My belief is that they will get a new Enterprise, akin to the Enterprise in TOS, as an homage to the series on its 50th Anniversary. There is going to be a fourth film, and the series will not carry on without an Enterprise. Will it be exactly like the Enterprise in TOS? No, but it will be something very reminiscent of it.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You mean like the Enterprise in STMP? That design has never been bettered yet,

Taurus, jriems and Meng like this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

No, something much closer to TOS, using some of those prime colors. I believe it will something similar but updated somewhat. Perhaps the colors won't be prime colors but colors similar to those used for the bridge in TOS. This is all just a guess on my part. They're not going to carry on the series without an Enterprise, and they will be paying tribute to TOS throughout the film. You can see subtle hints of it here and there. The uniforms have lost those dimples that they had in the first two films. Chris Pine's hair is combed similar to Shatner's in TOS. I figure they will need a new Enterprise to continue to "boldly go," and on the 50th anniversary, they might want to give them an Enterprise that harkens back to TOS.

10. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Oh. So you're talking about the INTERIOR of the Enterprise. I can sort of understand that might be the case. I thought you were talking about updating the EXTERIOR of the NuTrek™ Enterprise to look more like the TOS Enterprise. I can see no way for them to make that happen since the NuTrek™ tech looks much more contemporary than TOS.

Now, if they could update the NuTrek™ Enterprise exterior to look closer to the TMP version of the Enterprise - I'm looking at you bulbous, insanely huge NuTrek™ nacelles - then I might get a little excited. Like Deesky said, the TMP design has never been bettered. It is the pinnacle of the Enterprise design.

Deesky and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

You and me both.

That said, Trekcore has a detailed breakdown of the trailer that asserts the entire story can be obtained:
    STAR TREK BEYOND Trailer 2 Breakdown and Analysis | TrekCore Blog »
    Click wisely! There (may) be spoilers here.

12. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

If I don't like the first two and nothing in the trailer looks any different I don't think I need magic powers to know that the third isn't going to be any good.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my wife informed me of this as she wants to see it...I'm not overly excited now.

14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Which part?

Michael likes this.
  15. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

So your wife has such bad taste in movies that anything she wants to see is an automatic must miss? :laugh:

Meng and Michael like this.
  16. Michael

well not exactly! LOL! we agree on 99% of most movies we watch together...I just meant that specific title...she's hyped I'm not. BUT that's not saying I don't want to see it...I'll probably enjoy it! she's a Trek fan...

DrewHarris and malcolm reynolds like this.
  17. Michael

I can say no more...

Encuentro likes this.
  18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Encuentro likes this.
  20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Oh no more Enterprise pixels destroyed.

Well at least it looks like a more original story...maybe. When I watched the trailer I did it with the sound off so not sure.

I think I read that Karl Urban said that if the script wasn't an 'original' then he was walking.

21. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I'm a long-time Trek fan; I love and have seen every episode of TOS and TNG, as well as most of the films with those casts. I've barely seen more than a handful of episodes of the newer series (DS9, Voyager, Enterprise) though. I just wanted to preface my opinions a little bit with some background about where I'm coming from. Basically, I'm a Trek fan, but not a diehard Trekkie.

When the 2009 reboot film came out, I quite enjoyed it. While it certainly focused more on action than exploration, I thought it did an excellent job of delving into the backgrounds of the principal characters. It was especially fun seeing to see a childhood glimpse of Kirk and Spock. The main antagonist Nero had a meaty, fleshed-out backstory, so I even empathized somewhat with his drive for revenge. There were even some rather touching and poignant moments throughout the movie as well. Overall, I was very pleased with the picture and looked forward to the sequel.

Then the sequel 'Into the Darkness' was released, and I was there opening night. Sheesh, I hated it. To me, it was just a mishmash of action sequences and special effects. Parts of it practically bordered on disaster movie parody, I mean how many times have we seen a tidal wave wipe out the Golden Gate Bridge? Since when is Spock some type of 80s action movie star? He went around like Jean-Claude Van Damme just ruthlessly beating the crap out of everyone with martial arts moves. The whole thing was absoultey ludicrous to me. Meanwhile, the main plot points were just a reshash of 'Wrath of Khan' with a twist character reversal. And while I think Benedict Cumberbatch is a fine actor, perhaps with skill on par with Ricardo Montalban, his Khan was written as a hollow shell of Montalban's, so there was only so much he could do. Montalban's Khan is an antagonist with rich depth, even in his original episode "Space Seed" in TOS. It was probably a fool's errand by the writers to even attempt to bring him back without Nicholas Meyer's expertise. The whole exercise felt more like fan service or even laziness. The 2009 film worked as well as it did in large part due to the well-written antagonist Nero. The Khan of 'Into the Darkness' isn't written with the same complexity, and I think that's largely because the writers were relying on his reputation from the previous films instead of fleshing him out themselves. He's basically just a prop in this one.

Well, I didn't mean to meander that much about 'Into the Darkness,' but suffice it to say that it was a huge disappointment for me. So, because of that, some of my excitement for the upcoming film has been diminished. But I will say that the preview looks somewhat promising to me, and the fact that JJ Abrams had a smaller role in the production of this one is probably for the best. Two new writers are at the helm including Simon Pegg (Scotty), so perhaps the dialogue will be a little punchier with a few more zingers thrown in. I don't know exactly what to expect, but I'm hoping that the fact that there is a new writing team, and new director in Jeremy Lin, that the film will have a fresher take on the series than what we received in the last outing. I'm hopeful about the new sequel, and am looking forward to seeing it more than any other film this summer.

Tristero and xdawg like this.
  22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The trailer makes it looks like it's again, a running and jumping movie, with impossible falls from impossible cliffs. It seems that the biggest problem for this Enterprise crew is gravity.

But I'll go see it in the theater when it comes out in hopes that the trailer is just typical Hollywood stuff (a new meaning for "trailer trash"?).

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep.

24. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Or maybe they chose a lot of action scenes for the trailer (as is the norm) and there might be a whole lot of other stuff going on.

Encuentro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.