Mr Selfridge - what Happened?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

We just watched the opening of the latest season on PBS but couldn't remember some plot lines, in fact wondered if we'd missed a few episodes...

Tried several Plot Episode summary sites, but still didn't get what may have happened :(

So does anyone know, what happened to Mrs Selfridge, how did she die?

Where is Lady Mae? (Loxley's wife). Did she also get killed off?

TIA anyone :)

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

John B Good likes this.
  3. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

I think Mrs Selfridge died of consumption or something like that. Can't quite remember the details, but she was diagnosed with it at the end of the previous series.

Lady Mae has divorced Loxley and moved abroad. Loxley blames Selfridge.

John B Good likes this.
  4. John B Good

That's similar to what I was seeing elsewhere. I guess the writers are hoping the viewers are intelligent and can assume some thing like that. In other words, it looks like we didn't miss an episode. :)

5. John B Good

Damn, I found Lady Mae devastatingly attractive! :)

6. Mr Wensleydale

Unfortunately I always see her as Becky from Coronation Street (UK soap) whenever I see her in anything since she left that show. Don't have that problem with any former soap actor except her! Weird :D

7. Mr Wensleydale

No, you definitely haven't missed an episode.

8. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

I'm still watching Mr. Selfridge. Is anybody else? The last season began last Sunday evening.

John B Good likes this.
  9. John B Good

Definitely! I felt I had missed something tho, as I couldn't quite place what had happened to all the other characters who have left, would have been handy to have had a synopsis of past seasons.

It's interesting that we are approaching 1929, and the onset of the depression. As a luxury goods store, I imagine that will affect Selfridges.

Nice to see Alberta Hunter remembered. Wonder if there was a real-life appearance of her at Selfridges?

10. bluejeanbaby

Took me a minute to figure what was happening too. Then I realized they jumped a few years ahead. It was sad when he found his mother dead in her chair at the end.

11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Mr. Grove's children are a lot older than shown previously, so definitely some years have passed.

12. bluejeanbaby

@notesofachord
    Yes, Mr. Grove's one daughter especially seems about the age Rosalie was, when that artist was hanging around. Boy, the difference in clothing styles.

And now George is married to Kitty's sister, as well as Gordon being married. Kitty seems jealous her sister is having a baby..

13. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

14. John B Good

Things have blown apart quickly. I could never stand the one who is off to NY to work with Elizabeth Arden, so good riddance.

Harry's gambling and infatuation with the idiot Dolly Sisters made me grind my teeth :)

And Selfridge's son sure fell quickly for the xpansionist scheme Jimmy Bond leads Harry and him into :(

Gather there are only 2 episodes left before the series ending.

15. bluejeanbaby

Mr. Grove seemed to work till he dropped.
    Victor's gone too, pushed over the railing. Looks like Mae has her suspicions..
    We are to assume Kitty and Frank are gone now from the series in New York then?
    Two ep are left? Has the series been a bit lackluster this year? It seems like it's going out with a wimper to me... Downton Abbey stayed more interesting.

16. John B Good

Well, Harry went down, but Mae went with him.

17. bluejeanbaby

In real life he was alone. But I guess in the show, it got wrapped up nicely for him. This last season seemed a little disjointed from the other seasons to me, and not as good.

18. John B Good

I didn't know that. Not even Gordon?

19. bluejeanbaby

No, he was estranged. Gordon married a shopgirl that he didn't approve of. I was on a FB page about the series, and there were posts to links on his real life.

20. John B Good

Thanks for filling me in :)

21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

This was definitely a show that was evolving into a soap opera (ala Dowton in my opinion). As a series it ended about the right time. I haven't decided on Jeremy Piven as an actor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.