Agree? I have all the music I want for the rest of my life. No need to hear anything new.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Wait up-- where does the OP say he's no longer receptive to music? The way I read it, he gets plenty of joy from the stuff he has, and enjoys discovering "new" old music. Why does he have to be desperately seeking out new music in order to be a music lover?

That's pretty much what I do. Fortunately, it wasn't presented to me as an either/or :)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  2. king charles the third

king charles the third New Member

A great question.

First of all the whole loudness war / mp3 standard has to go within the mainstream I hope that good quality full range sound will be adopted again at sensible prices like HDTV has done for mainstream television in the last 15 years.

I hope to see a time when communities encourage people from all social backgrounds are given instruments to create.
    For example current Europe immigrants from middle east / Eastern Europe music traditions will fuse with European music. Instruments currently get in the hands of the privileged few but imagine in the hands of genuine emotive souls who need expression & a genuine story to tell. Not some drama school job shirker

I sincerely hope to see a time when a person & more importantly the audience will not restrict themselves because the colour of their skin. Thank god Jazz as a genre overcame that nonsense decades ago.

Although music can & should be played by all ages it is up to the young to use their natural boundless energy to create things. It's not hard as it once was kids can type Bowie in their computers & look & hear what your gonna get!

Then this is the most important thing these very same kids can respect what happened before but actively desire to be audacious enough to better it . Prince definitely had that attitude. In other words take what you need but create something new.

Okay what's it gonna sound like ? Glenn Miller swing meets 1970s Dub Reggae. Ravi Shanker meets the Dead Kennedys . Abba meets Amon Dull 2. Mozart meets Motörhead. UK Grime meets Astrid Gilberto . The music of late 70s Devo will be considered pedestrian & someone like Peter Gabriel will been viewed not experimental enough by 2032!

Basically the late great Bowie in his ill health tried to make the most forward thinking music he could & not be smug about Ziggy Stardust.

Hope it helps. Thanks.

3. king charles the third

The reason I am citing big selling artists is because they are connecting & reaching out as opposed to some leftfield indie act that no ones heard of.

20 years there was a No 1 hit in the UK called Firestarter by the Prodogy . Hats off to those boys right place , right time. A genuinely dangerous bit of music beyond Punk blasting through televisions during family viewing . What's happened since?

4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Family viewing around the TV isn't really a thing anymore. Each individual person's got their smartphone in front of their face instead... which, is actually quite sucky.

Twisted Stirefarter was excellent though, and the album it was from.

5. October Man

October Man I am the October Man, I dream of many things

Hell yeh!!!

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Totally false. One has lived longer and has a better judgement on music. Nostalgia has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

October Man and sami like this.
  7. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

I must be getting close. Here's my want "list."

[​IMG]

8. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

9. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Actually it seems to me that the same thing goes for most things in life : the longer you're around, the harder it becomes to find something new that really excites you. I guess at some point you have to almost make an effort about it, to try and keep yourself open to new stuff, even if you don't like it at first. As everybody knows some things can definitely grow on you.

10. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

You cite big selling pop acts when you could have cited the big selling rock acts that I did. Of course that kind of overtly commercial pop is gonna pale in comparison to those rock legends you listed. But Radiohead is not some leftfield indie act that no one's ever heard of.

They've had five number one albums so I don't understand the question. And what is so genuinely dangerous about Firestarter?

11. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

couldn't care less about new music...

I'm too busy buying jazz records from back in the day...

nothing else matters to me...

12. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

No offense meant, but this may be why you use the term "blues" so loosely and offhandedly, with no real frame of reference. Or tradition.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  13. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

I have to say, I'm not so nostalgic for the music I used to listened as a teen. I'm more fond of the stuff I discovered during the 20-30 decade, but I can't really understand people who at some point shut up any new input and just listen to old music. I know many thirtysomethings that are like this.

Lost In The Flood and sami like this.
  14. pickwick33

Good music is where you find it, whether it's an old 78 from 1929 or an mp3 from 2016. Music was never generational with me.

There is new music I like, but:
    (a) that doesn't mean I'm gonna throw my Hank Ballard records away;
    (b) when Ballard was in his heyday, I wasn't born yet, so you can't call it nostalgia;
    (c) the new music I like doesn't involve synthesizers, rappers or dance music divas

And this is why I'm glad we have choices. Yes, I know Hank Ballard was a Top 40 artist in his time, but if I had to rely on contemporary hit radio in 2016, I'd be in a hell of a fix. Robin Thicke and Drake don't mean much to me. The Dirtbombs, Tal National, Luis & the Wildfires or Al Scorch (to name four disparate "leftfield indie" examples) are far easier on my ears. I wouldn't mind hearing them on mainstream radio, provided they didn't change their styles, but I'm not waiting for the day. This is why we have personal stereos.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

When it comes to my teen music, I still have the odd nostalgic moment, but for the most part, I've brought the music along with me and still listen to it (apart from the stuff I've grown out of).
    I agree with you too. Why close yourself off from what's new? Discovering new music is always a thrill. My search never ends.

16. king charles the third

What's genuinely dangerous about Firestarter? It had a new sound, fused musical genres to the max, thought provoking lyrics that had double meanings . The video was heavily complained about at the time re watershed.

As for Radiohead? They just ripped off Floyd/Beatles & Pretty Things riffs & might mean something to some people but not for me.

17. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Let's not forget Breathe too. I loved this track... I still love it now!

18. sami

sami Mono still rules

I'm the same as the OP only regarding new music - I haven't heard anything that has really moved me in close to 20 years, excepting stuff by Alejandro Escovedo, the Jayhawks, and maybe a few others who really started in the late '80's / early '90's.

But to be tied to such a narrow area of music as 'classic rock' and blues rock? My 'rebirth' musically was discovering jazz, reggae, ska, early blues, '50's-'70's country, '60's-'70's R&B, and classical in the mid/late '80's when rock was becoming incredibly stale. Between all those genres and sub-genres, and discovering rock and pop stuff from the '50's-'80's I missed the first time around, there is such a never ending ocean of "new" music to still be discovered without ever going past the mid '80's that I'll never have time to even hear all of it or even most of it.

At the end of the day, though, it's whatever makes you happy. Isn't that what this is all about, anyway?

19. dmiller458

They were dangerous because some people complained about their video? Are you for real? Video are nothing more than commercials.

First it's not a rip-off, it's an homage. And with six number one albums, they must be doing something right. How'd your last record do?

20. Django

Django Forum Resident

Oh God yes.
    Here's what I learned from years of reading English music mags.

Working Class: Good, unless you're a chav.
    Upper Class: This is Bad, but they may have some weird eccentric background story.
    But NOTHING is as bad as being Middle Class. They should not be making music.
    It should be left to working class heroes.

American rich kid bands usually get a pass. ie: The Strokes

dmiller458 likes this.
  21. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

You might feel like John McEnroe but you sound like a racist.

D.D.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  22. pickwick33

This is why I sometimes hate discussing "old vs. new" music with people. They forget that we have choices. To them, it's not enough to like new music when it comes out. That music also has to be totally mainstream with no deviation. Thank God for the "leftfield indie acts" that Joe Sixpack and Ashley The Cheerleader hasn't heard of. Not all of us wish to deal with Meghan Trainor.

23. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I remember the fuss/outrage about The Prodigy back in '97.

This included.... not just the video, but the lyrics too.

From Wiki - "The lyrics "Change my pitch up / Smack my bitch up" are repeated through the whole song. The band defended the song, saying that the lyrics were being misinterpreted as misogynistic and the song actually meant "...doing anything intensely..."[2] The song led to a publicised disagreement at the 1998 Reading festival after the Beastie Boys asked the group not to play the track"

24. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This thread has changed my mind. I am done with new music.

25. dmiller458

Who is this "They" that's forcing you to listen to Meghan Trainor? I don't have to waste my time searching for some leftfield indie act when PJ Harvey's at the top of the charts.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.