Monkee romps vs Partridge Family "live" performances

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hutch, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Yes, the Rainbow Room stuff is very groovy

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Monkees! Love the romps! Not too crazy about the show. Luv the movie (Head). The Partridge Family was a better show minus the music lol :sigh:
    I grew up on both.

sean

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm with you. I thought the Monkees tv show was dumb as a kid, and whenever I've had a rerun on within the past decade I always end up changing the channel because the show doesn't make me laugh. I don't know whether the show doesn't resonate with me because of the scripts or the acting (or both), but it's just boring to me. I do like some of the Monkees' music, though. Not that the Partridge Family is great tv, but as a tv show it's a hell of a lot better than the Monkees.

kevywevy likes this.
  4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I was just a little kid when Monkees were on. Always seemed like their show was weird to me.

Partridge Family at least seemed somewhat real to me.

5. Hutch

Hutch Forum Resident Thread Starter

Being influenced by the French New Wave will do that. The Partridge Family seems tame and formulaic (i.e. safe) by comparison (although they had some very progressive stories and guest stars). Structurally speaking, The Monkees aimed for the stars. Sometimes they missed miserably, but when they made it, it was outtasite!

6. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Me and my two sisters were big fans of both shows back in the day. My youngest sister got to go see David Cassidy in concert
    in Albuquerque in 1971. It was a big deal. I wish now I had gone with her!

Love them both!

7. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

David Cassidy had great hair. And Susan Dey will always be effective.

Steve Carras likes this.
  8. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Loved the Partridge Family "live" performances... especially to see Danny Bonaduce strum his bass instead of pluck it and to check Suzanne Crough's timing on her tambourine... I knew it was fake even as a kid, but I thought that family was lots more fun than my own! WHERE is that Partridge Family box set with all the songs that were on episodes and not released on LP or CD? Also, there is a version of "To Be Lovers" from the first album that has David Cassidy singing lead all the way through.

9. Hutch

Hutch Forum Resident Thread Starter

weren't there a couple of single CD comps that cleaned this up?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  10. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

One greatest hits had three of the early episode songs on it, but there are at least 15-20 songs over the four seasons that have never been released on CD or vinyl.

11. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Me,too, I have always had crushes on the two older teenage sisters.Merlina & Marissa.

12. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

tommy-thewho, who is that girl in your picture...?

Never knew that Shirley Jones DIDN'T perform on those records (I actually thought Susan Dey AND Suzanne Crough DID..)

While we're at it, no one mentioned The Brady Bunch, who actually did.....or the Jackson 5ive (sic).I would love to perform with The Bradys (esp.Marcia,Marcia)(.

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The PF Recording Sessions! »

Darryl

14. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

If you've got a spare million, here they are:
    HOLY GRAIL PARTRIDGE FAMILY SCREEN GEMS RECORDS • SHIRLEY JONES • DAVID CASSIDY »

15. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

That has been on Ebay off and on for a few years now. These are special pressings of the songs used in the episodes so the cast could learn to lipsync to them. I think it is David Cassidy or his representative(s) trying to sell these.

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Have you seen this girl?

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.