The Who 2016 - no encore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by groundharp, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger Thread Starter

I just saw The Who on Thursday in Oakland (P. Townshend's birthday). No encore at the end of the night -- what gives? Is that what they're doing on this tour?

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Sorry, I'm not familiar with The Who's general set list on this tour ~
    However ~
    How long was the show?

I've been to a few recent shows where the band I saw honestly said, "let's be practical, and do away with the obligatory last song if the set, band leaves the stage, audience applause, waiting for 10 minutes, start cheering, waiting, then band comes out and play the encore."
    Everyone saved 30 minutes.
    Win-Win.

3. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

Until 1979, an encore at a WHO show was a rarity. Starting in '79 they began playing encores.

I fully support the "no encore" thing. If for some reason, it's a really special night, then by all means I hope that audience gets a version of "Naked Eye" for the ages!

DrBeatle and tslowend like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Since they're almost always predetermined, I agree "encores" are kinda silly. The act's gonna play the same set either way 99% of the time.

But if the band doesn't give the audience an "encore", the crowd feels cheated, so most acts go through the charade...

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Yes.

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought it was refreshing... A month before I saw Elvis Costello who does what feels like an hour long set and then keeps coming back and coming back and coming back... Tedious!

dee likes this.
  7. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

They have playing encore's for years on and off. During the Fillmore era it was mostly OFF.

8. dee

dee Senior Member

Yeah. I love EC but the concert I saw last year was exhausting in that very way.

9. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

Roger in 1975: "I think that it's of the utmost importance to leave an audience wanting more rather than exhausted and moaning, 'Thank Christ that's all over.' That's why we don't do no encores. They're a bloody con. You shouldn't do 'em, cos they're the biggest con ever and Led Zeppelin were one of the worst groups for starting that whole encore thing off."

DrBeatle, Dave Hoos and davers like this.
  10. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Most folks like me split when encore comes.
    Gives us time to get gone before I have to wait an hour to get out of parking areas.

Koma, davers, xj32 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I agree.
    No encore in Toronto but I didn't feel cheated as it was a solid two hour show.

12. Zack

Zack Senior Member

When I saw the Who in 1989 I dragged my wife along. After the set, she said let's get out of here and beat the traffic. Long story short, I capitulated. As I walked out of the stadium, I heard the encore start. It was Too Much of Anything. :(

raphph likes this.
  13. jonj

jonj Forum Resident

No encore in Kansas City, but such a terrific show, I don't think anyone minded.

davers likes this.
  14. Squealy

As they were finishing "Won't Get Fooled Again" I did my usual mental rundown of "what are they likely to play that they haven't played yet?" and realized I couldn't think of anything, and so it didn't surprise me that they didn't play an encore.

There were a few big Who songs that they hadn't done like "I Can't Explain" (shockingly) and "Substitute" but I would have expected those early in the show, not at the end.

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That was the problem for me-- They close the show with the two big chestnuts and I'm thinking "Great, the encore will be something interesting."

16. Squealy

It doesn't really work for me when people end their main sets with big songs and then play some oddball thing that only a quarter of the audience knows in the encore... I find it kind of deflates the excitement.

17. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

18. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Last time I saw The Who Daltry said 'we just play a set we don't bother with encores', he might have used more rock n roll language. Played a good set too, no disappointments here.

19. Oatsdad

I don't leave before the music stops, but I run the hell out of there as soon as the last song concludes!

This meant I got into an argument with my friend at last month's Pearl Jam shows in Philly. She wanted to "bask in the moment" and stay while the band took their bows and whatnot, while I wanted to hit the parking lot and get out of there.

If I'm not worried about traffic, I'll stay and "bask", but otherwise - I'm gone! :D

20. Oatsdad

On the surface, I can see the argument to end with a "big song", but on the other hand, finishing with something less "big" is a nice way to send off the audience, IMO.

Maybe I feel that way because I'm usually one of the guys who wants that "oddball thing"! :D

ARK likes this.
  21. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

I remember one Jethro Tull show where Ian Anderson says "This is the time where normally we go back stage and you all yell your lungs out and then we come back and play another song. Let's just pretend we did all that and now we are back." And so they launched into Locomotive Breath without actually leaving the stage.

It used to be that going to a concert was a surprise. You never knew what the band would play. You didn't know if there was an encore, how many encores, how many songs. Now everything is listed out there on the Interwebby and we all know ahead of time pretty much what the show is going to be. So unless someone in the band needs a bio-break why not skip the encore and just play the songs you intend to play?

Beamish13, DrBeatle and Chemguy like this.
  22. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Great show in Portland, OR....Won't get fooled again and then that was it.... same in every city. I bought the USB and downloaded my show... really enjoy having it.

23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Think you've just made the perfect case for leaving the less committed other half at home. :)

Dave Hoos and ARK like this.
  24. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

Was that all you missed? At other shows on that tour, Too Much of Anything was the start of the second set and they played a lot more after that.

The Who Setlist at Giants Stadium, East Rutherford »

Zack likes this.
  25. Squealy

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.