Metallica 2015 Remasters of Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I said this with peace and love, by the way.

2. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

If you read this in the style of Phill Anselmo from 'Live 101 proof' it's absolutely hilarious

3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Aw man,I`m dying to know what`s going to be in the Puppets and Justice sets.
    I`ve been listening to some soundboards and demos from that era.These new deluxes will definitely beat the boots out there.I`d guess the other boxsets will follow the same formula.Same size box,with the remastered album on cd/vinyl,a dvd,a demo/alternate mixes cd,one vinyl concert,live soundboard cds a book.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  4. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Without spending the next hour and a half looking for an answer I can't find in a search; can somebody enlighten me as to why "Am I Evil?" and "Blitzkrieg" are missing or am I missing something and they ARE included?

5. nodeerforamonth

Obviously missing something. They are on the b-sides to the Creeping Death single, as originally released. There's also rough mixes on the demo CD.

6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Standard EP versions are present on the vinyl and downloads, but not CDs (MP3 download is free with the set, but you'd need to pay extra for lossless). Not sure why they weren't included on the CDs, since the KEA EP b-sides were. You do basically get them on the KEA CDs since the rough mixes sound no different to the EP tracks, just of lesser fidelity.

7. shirtandtie

Got it. That's what I thought. Unfortunate that they weren't included in the remastering since they've been associated with Ride The Lightning for so many years now. Unless they're planning a Garage Days expanded box down the road.

8. nodeerforamonth

They're associated with Ride The Lightning because that's when they ORIGINALLY CAME OUT.

It wasn't until CDs got invented that Am I Evil and Blitzkrieg came out on KEA as bonus tracks. They were never part of the album.

celticbob likes this.
  9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

They were remastered, but not included on the CDs. The standard resolution download would get you the same sound as if they were included on the CD, but unfortunately, I don't think you can buy individual tracks. You'd have to re-pay for the whole set again as a download. They really should include lossless downloads with the boxes, at least for the vinyl-only content.

Garage Inc will have a box and I'm thinking that's where they will get a CD appearance. Still, didn't really make sense to leave them off RTL.

10. shirtandtie

I know I know! However they ARE on the Creeping Death single and Creeping Death IS on Ride The Lightning, and they may not be associated with the album proper but in 1984 I always put them on cassettes when I recorded my Ride The Lightning LP for the car. Feels like something's missing to me.

11. shirtandtie

Yup! I guess we'll have to wait for a Garage box. I'll stick with what I've got for now.

rnranimal likes this.
  12. shirtandtie

Just finished listening to the Ride... remaster. It might be just me but it's fine until about halfway through and then it gets abrasive. Not in a loudness war kinda way either. I can't put my finger on it but I wasn't enjoying it anymore. Like the cymbals were too hissy or something. Probably compression that sneaks up on you or I'm just getting old. LOL

13. steveharris

My guess is The Kill Em All Rough Mixes cd was thrown together after the demos were not going to be included.The Master Of Puppets demos are really cool if you never heard them.I only heard the ones on the internet.There are mixes with and without vocals for most of these.I really enjoy the instrumental rehersals of Battery,Puppets,Disposable Heroes with the solo from Damage Inc in the middle.Sanitarium goes right into the mellow section of Orion.There are alternate lyrics to sanitarium.(Only Thing)
    John Marshall played James`s guitar parts live later in the tour when Hetfield broke his arm skateboarding.
    The first show Hetfield played guitar again was also Cliff`s final show.That may be historicly significant enough to include.
    There are a couple soundboards like MO,TN,El Paso TX and a few with Jason later on.I hope they surprise us with something good and never heard before for live stuff.

rnranimal likes this.
  14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Actually, I was mixed up. The Evil/Blitzkrieg rough mixes aren't included on the KEA box. The rough mix instrumentals of the tracks were included on the RTL set, but the rough mixes with vocals were cut from the RTL set and only included on the pre-release MP3 sampler. So, studio versions of these two tracks with vocals is nowhere to be found on the CDs of either set.

15. steveharris

I just can`t wait to see what`s included on the Puppets Deluxe!:cheers:
    Looking forward to an official tracklisting as I`ve been enjoying the other sets more than anything else.All will be revealed later in the fall if all goes well.:)

rnranimal and Vinyl Addict like this.
  16. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Well I got a Megaforce MRI-069 and it sounds great, but the Vertigo '89 sounds better! Better overall tonal balance and better bottom end. Both are clearly better than the 2016s, which sound good but not as good (by a wide margin). If you want to "enjoy the music" as much as possible, go the Vertigo '89 IMO! ;)

17. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

My local Newbury Comics had the new Box sets on sale for $139 each

18. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Hopefully. Releasing it in September when the Puppets book comes out would be ideal.

steveharris likes this.
  19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

It would seem that some of the single copies sold in stores, don't have this issue. I'm going to order a single copy from Amazon and see for myself. If it's good, I'll swap out the LPs from the one in my set.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

I returned KEA and RTL for a full refund at HMV, I can't be bothered, that and the Rhino BB version of KEA is leagues ahead of the 2016. The CD's will do for now, if the boxes come way down in price maybe I'll splurge.

21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Ya I just bought a Europe Ride The Lightning Spaceship label on Ebay. Looked to be in great condition for $49 Canadian. I hear it's a great pressing. Anyone that has this, I understand that it's a reissue from 1989, and that the UK variant have yellow labels, correct? I found this resource online, the guy goes into some pretty nice detail and he gives the 1989 reissue a nice thumbs up:

Small music collection »

Can't wait to get this and I also have my eye on a few KEA's as well. I'll do one at a time.

I'm confused because there were a few listings on Ebay that had the Spaceship labels but a copy right date of 1992 on the label? Also, the back of the album had an additional Polygram credit, so was the 1989 mastering reissued again in 1992? I made sure the one I bought did not have the 1992 date on the label nor any mention of Polygram.

22. dustdevil

dustdevil Forum Resident

In that case, if it's in good shape, this will be the only version of KEA on vinyl you need forever. It is simply the best sounding, best mastered and not to forget,
    the best pressed vinyl (Netherlands) of this masterpiece.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Cool! I found a near mint copy, going to order. Can you say the same about Ride The Lightning? Before I bought it, it was between that and a Roadrunner press.

24. dustdevil

dustdevil Forum Resident

On RTL you simply can live with the new 2016, it's quite good, very similar the Steve Hoffman remastering
    on the DCC Disc, or a '89 Vertigo with MASTERDISK A-1U-1-/B-1U-1 Matrices, beware there are a lot of
    Bootlegs of the '89 Vertigo circulating. Check for Masterdisk.
    Roadrunner sounds and pressed very good too but has swapped channels....

25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks, didn't know that about the Vertigo. The seller confirmed the full matrix, and masterdisk was there.

Are you sure you are not confusing the Vertigo with the Roadrunner? I've done lots of research and found no info on bootleg Vertigo's, but did find lots of info regarding bootleg Roadrunners. The bootlegs have no red text on the white labels, but simply black lettering on the white label. There are pics on Discogs.

I just bought a Ride Spaceship Vertigo so I hope I am pleased with it. I'm hoping to like it more than the 2016 reissue, although that one does sound very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.