Universal and Sony Hong Kong SACD, K2 HDCD, UltraHD CD Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, May 23, 2016.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

"All this technology does not mean anything if the mastering is not up to par." -- therockman

It's very likely that Sony will give up on UltraHD CD series, which was made in US, buy the way, using FIM (First Impression Music) 32-bit Mastering technologies.

However, there is nothing to be excited (at least for now) about new SHM-XRCD releases. That's why it's not in this tread's name.

Almost all of them, so far, is nothing, but cutting corners. They lifted up old XRCD releases, which were done, using outdated mastering technology (16-bit for XRCD and 20-bit for XRCD2) and did not upgrade to 24-bit Mastering, which is XRCD24. (Please look at the bottom of the back cover of your "Brother in Arms" XRCD2, it clearly states: "20-bitK2 Mastering").

It's a shame what they are doing. But why bother... Bunch of soundguys will buy our Limited and Numbered Crap anyway. 40 bucks a pop... They are crazy Collectors, "complete-ists"...

I want to thank you for the raising this matter anyway, because I have to warn everybody:

Do not buy any SHM-XRCD releases, unless it states: SHM-XRCD24.

P.S.
    Sony tried to do a tad better, applying JVC's HR cutting technology and such, but in my experience applying this or similar tech to the digital sources does not provide a good result. While, when they use an analog tape in their K2 HD series, most of the titles sound good. They know that, but who cares...

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  2. toilet_doctor

That we will find out very soon, Bill.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

4. KeithH

Have you heard the Hong Kong Kind of Blue SACD?

5. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Obviously, you missed out on Universal's Blu-spec CD2 HQCD-SHM-XRCDs with DSD mastering.

Bill Mac likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Wow! Talk about alphabet soup. They must sound awesome ;).

Bill

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

It's comparable to the original Sony single-layer SACD. I listened to the MoFi "Kind of Blue" SACD as well but have not really do a comparison between it and the Sony SACD versions.

rstamberg and toilet_doctor like this.
  8. I've gone ahead and picked up the Morricone on a whim. I'll report back once I've gotten it.

Carlox, jhm, PH416156 and 2 others like this.
  9. toilet_doctor

I don't think so... How about Ultimate SHM-CD? - didn't come yet, but Sony's Ultimate HQCD already here:

What is UHQCD?
    For six years after the birth of HQCD, we continued to make trial-and-error efforts to reproduce audio at even higher quality. We researched new materials and investigated ways to reproduce audio with the highest possible fidelity. After a variety of experiments, we decided on a completely new approach to the task - radically changing the CD manufacturing process itself.

We exhaustively questioned the conventional wisdom about CD manufacturing, which had remained largely unchanged across the world for over 30 years. Through this effort, which might seem ill-advised, we arrived at the ultimate in quality - a level of quality that is certainly impossible to achieve with existing CD discs.

Features of UHQCD
    Discs conform to the CD specification and are playable on existing Audio CD players.
    Newly developed disc manufacturing process masks the sound quality.
    Offers easy enjoyment of high-quality audio at a quality that is very close to that of Crystal Disc.

Conventional high-quality Audio CDs (HQCD)
    We developed our conventional high-quality Audio CD discs through an effort to improve audio quality by simply upgrading the materials used in ordinary CD discs to higher quality materials. For example, for the substrate we used a high-transparency and high-fluidity polycarbonate (a type of plastic) of the type used for LCD panels, while for the reflective layer, we replaced low-cost, common aluminum with a unique and expensive alloy of high-reflectivity.

These improvements made it possible for mass-produced CD discs to reproduce audio with greater precision. In fact, HQCD discs were used to release a wide range of classical and jazz music titles. The approach of upgrading raw materials is limited, however. To achieve further improvements in audio reproduction, we had to totally rethink the disc manufacturing process itself.

Differences in manufacturing methods
    Conventional Audio CDs are produced using the technique of injection molding to form "pits" of data on polycarbonate material. Metal plate on which "pits" representing audio source data are formed is used as a die. This is called the "stamper." Polycarbonate is melted at high temperature and poured into the die to duplicate the pit patterns on the stamper.

This method is efficient because it enables high-speed production, but it does not enable totally accurate or complete duplication of the pits on the stamper. As a melted plastic, polycarbonate is inevitably viscous, so it cannot penetrate completely into every land and groove of the tiny pits of the stamper. We tried to reproduce finely detailed patterns using the high-quality polycarbonate used in LCD panels, but complete replication proved to be difficult.

In the new method we developed, however, we used photopolymer instead of polycarbonate to replicate the pits of the stamper. In their normal state, photopolymers are liquids, but one of their characteristic properties is that they harden when exposed to light of certain wavelengths. Talking advantage of this property, we managed to achieve perfect replication of very finely detailed pits. Photopolymers in the liquid state are able to penetrate into the tiniest corners of pits on the stamper so that the pattern of the pits is reproduced to an extremely high level of accuracy. Like this, we successfully replicated and reproduced audio at a level that is impossible to achieve using conventional CD production technology.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although this CD manufacturing method is inherently less amenable to mass production than conventional method of CD production, after as great deal of time we managed to develop a way to mass-produce CDs with the new method. We hope you enjoy these totally "reborn" CDs.

There was a plenty of Japanese only titles from the beginning, but recently Int'nal titles start to show up (price is about $22 for single disc and about $32 for double one like King Crimson Live):

UHQCD

The Winery Dogs Hot Streak ((2UHQCD +DVD)
    King Crimson Live In Toronto Nov. 20, 2015 (2UHQCD)
    Paul Gilbert I Can Destroy
    Sam 'The Man' Taylor Platinum Best (2UHQCD)
    Carol Welsman Alone Together
    Carol Welsman Memories of You - Sings Benny Goodman

One Audiophile Audio Note title is available for preorder here:
    La Spagna-Paniagua-UHQCD|Acoustic Sounds »

10. toilet_doctor

Soundboy, did you try this new UHQCD format?

11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Nope. I don't see any title that interest me yet.

rstamberg likes this.
  12. toilet_doctor

Same here, but Phantom of the Opera from the importcd for $28 (thanks to soundguy for the pointing out - have to add to the list).
    Love that Original London Cast with Sarah Brightman. Damn, barely miss it...
    Feel by my ass - it will sound good.

13. toilet_doctor

That is the problem. I have to check Crimson Live - very eager to try...

14. toilet_doctor

I see Ennio Marricone also was released simultaneously on SACD and K2HD CDs. Do you know when were the rest of the titles released?

15. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

I think this limited 1000 run is a bit of a red herring, what usually happens is that there is a run 1000 that are numbered, then after that cds are still producted but not numbered,this happens with the k2 hong kong releases ie cat stevens, elton john cds,this is not to say there are labels that do stick to the 1000 runs.

Linger63, toilet_doctor and scobb like this.
  16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The King Crimson Live In Toronto title could be interesting to hear

:wave:

toilet_doctor likes this.
  17. KeithH

Thanks. I wonder if it is just a reissue of the original Sony SACD. Then again, how many times has Sony mastered Kind of Blue to DSD?

18. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

I assume twice, with MoFi doing it once.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I checked the Chet Atkins Sails HK SACD and it was mastered by Denny Purcell. The liner notes show "mixed by Dave Palmer * by John Mills" with no indication for the asterisk. There is no mention in the liner notes about DSD or SACD just like The Best of Santana HK SACD. In fine print it states "This compact disc was manufactured to meet critical quality standards" :rolleyes:.

I find this to be disheartening after spending good money on these SACDs. It appears that Sony can't even make the effort to update the liner notes to indicate who did the mastering of the SACD. That leads me to believe that these SACDs are nothing but RBCDs transferred to DSD for SACD. I'll stick to buying SACDs from AF, APO and MOFI. At least they go to the effort to remaster the stereo layers and on some titles AF and APO (JB's Blow by Blow) also include multichannel mixes. In doing so they update the liner notes and artwork providing the information on who did the mastering and the DSD transfer (correct term?).

Companies like Sony can throw out all the fancy terms and alphabet soup formats/processes they want to. But it doesn't mean anything unless the music on the disc is of a high quality mix and mastering. I won't be buying anymore of these "SACDs" unless specific titles get rave reviews here and aren't just "clones" of the RBCDs.

Bill

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  20. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

OK, I purchased today Enigma's 'MCMXC a.D' at HK SACD, too curious to wait longer! I will try to compare this version with the regular cd I own. I bough it cheap, as a used album, so someone (the first owner) seems not to be satisfied with this version :sigh:. Let's hope this will be my best version of that great album.

Yes, it's a very odd album, but full with beautiful samples, Gregorian chants and some nice beats, and maybe the recordings of this cd started once as a kind of joke for mr. and mrs. Cretu, but I really liked it and I'm still playing Enigma's albums often. There is even a personal story behind: as conscript officer for the Dutch army I was somewhere at the end of 1990 returning home from Germany and got (by the awfull weather) a terrible car accident inwhich I was the only survivor. And what was being played in the car? Yes, that album which I discovered in Germany (not knowing it was allready a hit in whole Europe :)). I finished in a German hospital and found after a long big sleep that cd back in my bed, brought back especially by the military police. The jewel case was completely smashed, but the disk was still okay!...

jfeldt, Dok, jhm and 1 other person like this.
  21. toilet_doctor

- Can the major labels lie?
    - Yes, they do by saying nothing in the credit notes.

(from my post at the different tread)

Some titles I cannot stand to do not buy. I am willingly taking the risk.
    Some titles can go over 1000, but some may never will. Nobody can tell - it's market thing. They are making decisions upon the demand and sales numbers.

Major labels have no brakes. They are easily crashing Collector's value. It happened many times - never count on it.

P.S.
    I believe we are more safe in Sony titles, simultaneously released in SACD and K2 HD series.

22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Sounds intriguing, I like as much atomic force microscoping that can penetrate on to a disc. Any chance Kind of Blue is coming out on this new format?

lukpac and toilet_doctor like this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Why buy SACDs at a premium cost if the SQ could possibly be no better than the RBCD costing much less? I get the part of being a "collector" as I am as well. But whether these HK SACDs are limited in sales or not I just don't see the up side of buying SACDs if the SQ is suspect. Unless other HK SACDs provide detailed information about the mastering process it's a "blind" buy IMO. Why would buying Sony HK SACDs be any safer if there is no mastering information?

Bill

24. toilet_doctor

What I meant that most of the K2 HD series titles are good sounding ones. So, if they will do parallel K2 HD mastering and DSD mastering from the master tape, both more likely should be OK. It's not only Sony - I bought Phantom of the Opera (Uni), it came in the both versions. I will do detailed review soon.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

But if there is no information in the liner notes as to what source tapes are used and who does the mastering how would you really know? More than likely really isn't comforting when spending $30 and up for these SACDs. Do the K2 HD series titles list detailed information? I'm trying to be argumentative but why take the risk?

Bill