Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Sure, those are all good songs. But if you're gonna make your movie a sequel to Purple Rain, you'd better have songs that rival or at least approach Purple Rain's, and Graffiti Bridge does not, despite its merits. That's the context in which I said it was "weaker." It needed to come closer than "not a total loss."

thesisinbold and Mal like this.
  2. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

"Joy in Repetition" is a great, great song. Forgot about that one...thanks for the reminder!

3. Yeah, but that's a bit like asking Stevie to do Songs in the Key of Life II. How's that going to happen?

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I always thought the title echoed the doo wop classic "It Will Stand"

5. His royal badass holding court. :righton:

Only I noticed that he said he doesn't want his shows recorded on phones because it sounds so bad. Bless his heart. How about keeping some of those dynamics on those albums, boss? :agree: Wow, he was so full of life.

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Ha! Indigo Nights would have sounded better recorded on an iPhone! :)

Cloudbuster and EVOLVIST like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

I loved the comment about how being on stage and creating music is like a dream, and so he doesn't want to sleep because his dreams are never as good as real life.

8. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

Fans might get the chance to hear the Revolution again on record as well, according to Fink, once Prince's vaults are opened and explored. "At the end of 1986 there were definitely two albums in the can that never saw the light of day," he says. "It's stuff that was recorded with the group and co-written with the group, just a continuation of what we were doing after theParade album and before Prince made the decision to disband the group at that point." Fink adds that the Revolution members have made "an open offer to Prince's family to put those out as soon as possible.

"Prince's Revolution Keyboardist Doctor Fink Weighs In on Madonna's Billboard Music Awards Tribute »

redsock, dee, eileen and 8 others like this.
  9. Okay, yeah, that and several other sections of this interview really spoke to me. This is one of the better interviews. I hope he's sleeping well now.

George P likes this.
  10. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

Bless everybody's heart. It's what he would have wanted. :)

EVOLVIST likes this.
  11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I wouldn't ask him to. But the point is, Prince did set out to make Purple Rain II, or something Purple Rain related.

12. Okay, Dream Factory and...??? He can't be talking about the Camille record.

13. Pt. II of Prince in Wyoming for the Under the Cherry Moon premier...with special guest, Prince's dad!

Mal and Cubbiegirl like this.
  14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Roadhouse Garden maybe...? :shrug:

15. That was my 2nd thought. It would make sense, because certainly "Splash" was slated for that album and it roughly fits the timeframe. Of course it's anybody's guess...and we've all guessed.

16. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

It's probably that first volume of Billy Joel covers.

TSmithPage, eileen, sunspot42 and 4 others like this.
  17. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

I guess it's the collective Prince consigliori that makes me want to call it a guilty pleasure but I always liked "Blue Light".
    :hide:

Nathan Aaron, eileen and bunglejerry like this.
  18. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

I will still never understand the whole mess up with Fallinlove2nite. It's easily Prince's most commercial "hit" sounding song in years, was featured in that New Girl episode but...was it available to purchase upon the show airing? No. Just bizarre...but just another example of Prince doing things his way, even if they make no business sense whatsoever. Shame - could have been a pretty big hit for him...

19. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

Would love to hear the music. Does it strike anyone else as odd that the good Dr. is offering to put out someone's else's property?

20. bunglejerry

It's such a beautiful, light summery song.

Spoilt lightly by the image of P entering into discussion with "each and every one" of his friends about the rudeness of his lovemaking...

21. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

dee, Dflow, DreamIsOver and 2 others like this.
  22. bunglejerry

Yeah... it's actually a signal that thre'll be a whole other rights squabbling regarding the Vault material: Fink explicitly asserts that the material was 'co-written'. He's looking for song publishing rights for the Vault material.

Hell, for all I know he deserves it, and more.

Fink don't know Bo, but he do know math.

eileen and Dflow like this.
  23. Cubbiegirl

Cubbiegirl Forum Resident

24. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I believe that's true, but to be honest, I'm not totally sure. My memory is sketchy on the details. I still have the Come cassette and "Letitgo" cassingle (!) that I bought in 1994, and I seem to think I liked them, at least a bit. Like, I must have really liked "Letitgo", because I have no cassingles later than 1992 except for it. But then, I also definitely remember that The Gold Experience was the first Prince album in my decade as a fan that when it came out, I didn't rush out to the store. Prince and I were sort of 'on-hold' at that point; my fandom had unquestionably dropped off because of the previous two albums (terrible timing to cool off on Prince, when I think how brilliant TGE is, and how I pretty much missed the boat on it in 1995). So yeah, I can't have liked Come all that much then. Now, however, I definitely like it, I think it's a really cool album.

25. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Yeah, it's an album that if I ever saw it (and it was a decent price and in nice condition), I'd definitely pick it up (just like I would for any Prince-related product). But I've never specifically looked for it. Still, I love "Nasty Girl"... it's up there with the best Mary Jane Girls and Klymaxx songs from that period.

sunspot42 likes this.