Chico Freeman - Spirit Sensitive AP33 reissued vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chris8519, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Recently purchased Chico Freeman - Spirit Sensitive on Analogue Productions reissued vinyl. Honestly, bought it blind hoping for a soul jazz album, but instead got a straight jazz album. That sounds great!

But I know nothing about this album. Apparently it's a repress from an earlier AP release? Uses the old AP labels. "Mastered on tube equipment" verbiage. The sleeve artwork is obviously from the 90s, not 70s. But is this the same mastering as the original reissue from the 90s?

Anyone have a back story about the album and this particular release? It truly is great, and sheesh it's recorded well. But there aren't any threads on it!

Tommyboy likes this.
  2. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

Originally issued on the India Navigation label - Bob Cummins, the producer/owner of the label, returned the masters of all India Navigation releases to the musicians before he passed away - he was a class act.

Other India Navigation artists included Arthur Blythe, Hamiett Bluiett, Anthony Davis, David Murray, James Newton, Cecil McBee, Alvin Batiste and one album each by Pharaoh Sanders and Revolutionary Ensemble.

chris8519 likes this.
  3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I actually prefer Chico's album "Kings of Mali" - which is out there (musically), more free jazz and a bit dissonant. Luckily I have the original vinyl pressing, but would love a new remastered pressing done by a quality outfit. After "Kings of Mali", I like "Beyond the Rain", which borders more on straight ahead jazz with one foot in free jazz territory. For some reason, Spirit Sensitive, although a good album, is sort of a departure from his usual discordant leanings to go all "straight ahead" sounding.

chris8519 likes this.
  4. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

The Outside Within (India Navigation) is also a very good Chico Freeman album, my favorite.

The musicians include: CHICO FREEMAN, JOHN HICKS, CECIL McBEE, JACK DeJOHNETTE

A complete India Navigation box set would be a great project for Mosaic Records.

chris8519 and MikeT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.