Game of Thrones Season Six! April 24th 2016!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I agree that this is the best explanation of what happened. Bran had to warg into past Wyllis to control present Hodor, in the process actually creating present Hodor. So this would be something like a closed time-loop. Possible in the Boethian present of 3-eyed Raven time and forced into ordinary time by this extra power that Bran is supposed to have.

At least I can accept that as sense enough for now!

L.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He was ruthless, he was desperate, his daughter was sickly with no prospects in life... The show showed some warmth between them but I don't recall Stannis having much closeness with his family at all in the books.

3. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

It's not tenderness that's the problem. It's principle and a rational sense of purpose. If we are going to accept desperation of the kind that could derail that in his character, we need to be shown it more fully and compellingly. It's just not there except in the abstract. Perhaps the novel's treatment will track the change more believably. I don't think the show succeeded at that.

L.

4. Squealy

The show didn't quite convey the extent of how hopeless their situation was... Cold, starving and weak, and unable to retreat either.

But the show spent years showing us that Stannis was unfeeling and determined to get what he wanted at any cost. I felt this was the culmination of that.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I saw it as an act of desperation, since by that point he knew that his army was not up to the task ahead of them.

6. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

So is the priestess of Light (whatever her name is) in Mereen also a old haggard woman? I see she wears the same kind of magical youth necklace as Melisandre.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Doesn't Stannis recount the lengths he went to save Shireen from the greyscale illness? As I recall, it's his wife that's more of a hardcore fanatic of the faith than he is. Yet, I suppose desperate circumstances might sway him.

In the book, Shireen has a fool named "Patchface" who commits an atrocity which escapes me at the moment. He keeps repeating a stupid rhyme for most of his storyline only to break character to do something pretty significant that the show left out. Does he kill Stannis's wife? I honestly cannot remember

By the way, here's betting we see Lady Stoneheart in some form or fashion this season. It would be fitting for her to meet up with Brienne again (kind of like in the book).

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  8. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

not a bad idea, it goes right back to Greek mythology Iphigenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »
    and like Agamemnon (who Stannis seemed to share the same temperament) he paid for it.

9. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

The connection wasn't lost on me. However, that doesn't make using it a good idea. Again, it's more a matter of form. If Martin found a way in the book to better prepare for this turn of events, fine--we'll see. The show didn't do that for me. That kind of desperation can't just be telegraphed by a few quick scenes and some talk.

L.

10. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

So with Littlefinger, was he really in the dark about Ramsey and what he did to Sansa? Or did he know who Ramsey was and decided to ignore it, not thinking that Sansa would escape. If he knew all along and figured that she would escape, maybe this is was his plan all along. This way he could march North with the army of the vale. He knows that Jon doesn't have a proper army and most of the houses are aligned with Ramsey. Is it possible that he is playing her just to get his army up north and take Winterfell for himself. We all know that Littlefinger thinks to 2 steps ahead. Apart from telling Sansa that her great uncle has an army and has taken Riverrun, I can't figure out what his next move would be. And why did she lie to Jon about not meeting Littlefinger and Riverrun.

The Greyjoys situation is a lot more straight forward, but I still can't figure out where yara is headed with all those ships. Is she trying to beat her uncle to the dragon queen or is she simply trying to escape knowing full well that her uncle will kill her and her brother.

11. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I've been assuming that Littlefinger new perfectly well how Ramsay would treat Sanza, and that he planned to use that as an excuse to oppose the Boltons. Don't know what he's going to do now, although I assume he has some sort of contingency plan in place and that letting the bit about the Blackfish slip was part of it. Still have no idea why Sanza kept it from Jon.

L.

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I think she MAY go to Danny.....

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

That note that Sansa received at the beginning of the show from Littlefinger, that was his wax mockingbird seal. Then she goes to Moletown to meet him, seems natural so far. But watch her face when Brienne asks why she lied about getting the information about the Blackfish. She didn't look guilty or ashamed. I think she was holding something back.

Somethings afoot! :eek:

:)

14. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Well I just don't get this at all. In the last book, Stannis is doing his Napoleon thing in the snow while Shireen is in Castle Black.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. Squealy

Isn't Melisandre also there? Maybe he orders a sacrifice from afar.

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I don't think Jon would allow that but who knows how Martin will craft his version (if it ever gets done at all).

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

this week it covered a lot of nothing...I hope it ramps up before the last episode...

18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it appears you may have fallen asleep during the episode!

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

yea... eyes wide shut...

20. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The Bran storyline, while it might be necessary to the story, bored me to tears in the books & the show.

21. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

You reminded me of one scene in the last episode that I found a little unbelievable. When the ceremony was completed to anoint Euron as Iron King, someone asks 'where's Yara' and there she is, sailing into the distance with many ships. Didn't anyone notice? It's not as if the ships move very fast, and you'd think someone would've noticed earlier a lot of people heading to the ships and setting sail.

22. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I was wondering just how long that ceremony continued as well, to cover them absconding with the better part of a fleet. They may have deployed a similar mechanism to the one Littlefinger uses to jet between Winterfell and Kings Landing. Time and distance are pliable in Westeros.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Going by the book, I believe the Kingsmoot is a fairly long ceremony, however, as noted, time, distance, and proximity is not exactly accurate in this show (Brienne showing up at the exact time of need for Sansa is an example; another is Stannis's army showing up in the nick of time to rout the wildlings).

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  24. Squealy

It is kinda silly. However, they did show that the ceremony was taking place on a beach at the bottom of a hill which they had to climb back up to see the ships sailing away.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  25. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

great episode. This entire thing with Bran and his time travel is very appealing to me. Reminds me of Vonnegut's Billy Pilgrim and how he could view the time line at a distance while being able to visit any part of it.

As for Bran changing the past - doubt it's true. He called younger Ned and all he heart was... wisp of the wind, I don't know. he turned back and saw nothing. While raven kept telling that one shouldn't hang around the past too much because it cannot be changed anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.