Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The Brilliant (label) 4xCD set of an elderly Mompou playing his own music is quite cheap:

Federico Mompou - Oeuvres Pour Piano (Integrale) - Amazon.com Music »

I also have single discs by Hough and Henck which are both excellent (playing and recording quality):

Federico Mompou, Stephen Hough, Stephen Hough - Mompou: Piano Music - Cants Magics; Charmes; Trois Variations; Dialogues; Paisages; Cancion y Danzas; Preludes - Amazon.com Music »

Federico Mompou, Herbert Henck - Musica Callada - Amazon.com Music »

As in a lot of things, I've been meaning to check more recordings out -- so if anyone else has suggestions?

Electric likes this.
  3. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Can't disagree, but I missed the original big box, I might pick this up to tide me over to the hoped for big box reissue.

4. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now listening to Disc 1 of Suzuki's Bach Cantata box - my present to myself after I found out I was moving to Japan later this summer.

Just a short train ride away from the 7-story Tower Records. My wallet is going to hate me.

5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

eclassical is doing a special on those for the next 10 months, discounted sets of 10 at a time that include surround mixes. The first couple of sets have fake surround. They're on the first set now. eClassical.com High Resolution FLAC & MP3 Classical Music Download Store »

6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have this one on my radar screen. Looks too good to pass up. I have taken a respite from acquisition but I will watch the prices on this one and strike at the opportune moment!

George C. likes this.
  7. Daedalus

Happy listening!

8. Daedalus

We are in the midst of an abundance of riches, for sure.

9. Daedalus

I picked up the Entremont box set a while back-excellent. I researched him after seeing him conducting at a concert in Worcester 2 years ago.

10. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

The abundance of riches is due to the industry knowing that CDs are on the way out. Large box sets with very low price per CD are a great way for them to get people like me to spend large amounts of money.

And though we may not think so now, it's possible that in say 10 years time that for many of us the boxes are untouched because we get all our music via streaming services (and it's easier to play a 'CD' from this service than to go and find the CD in a box set).

11. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

12. Daedalus

Overstock has a low price on the Carnegie Hall box set.

13. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I didn't realize there was a new Stravinsky set out...

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They are going to get some angry customers looking for the missing CDs #201 through #225.

15. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

It's sad but there is no doubt you are correct.

16. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

The complete DG catalog of the Emerson String Quartet is scheduled for release in mid-June, a 52-CD box. I'm not that familiar with the quartet, but most of their work is favorably reviewed. Does anyone here have thoughts about the quartet and this upcoming release?
    [​IMG]

Daedalus likes this.
  17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Very true ... I can absolutely envisage myself listening to streaming over other routes into my collectiom. I'm listening to Elgar right now that way, despite having the CDs and mp3s as an alternative.

Mentioned upthread. I like the Emersons very much in Bartok and Shostakovich.

18. moops

moops Senior Member

Or the streamers will be thinking ....... " man, this has gotten kind of boring, wish I had grabbed the box set when I had the chance, I got nothin' to look at. " :D

Marzz and Daedalus like this.
  19. It's a lot of money and I already own the Brilliant Classics set and mp3s of the Philips set. But I guess I'll end up buying it anyway. I wish the complete opera set will be also released on bluray.

20. Daedalus

Maybe so-but for me I will play what I have acquired including LPs. I will stream, as I do now, occasionally but not primarily.

moops likes this.
  21. Daedalus

I like their Shosty quartets.

22. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

I also quite enjoy their Beethoven string quartets. They are one of the more well-regarded string quartets, with a vast catalog of recordings. I think I want to get the Quartetto Italiano box first, but the Emerson set is on my radar.

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I bet there are many of us who have large collections of "physical" music (CDs, LPs) AND large collections of FLAC or mp3 files, AND access to streaming. But among those "all-round" collectors, I bet many much prefer to put a real CD or LP on a real sound system and enjoy the music, rather than listen through a computer, phone, radio or even any digital flac file or streaming service, even on a real sound system.

pscreed and J.A.W. like this.
  24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I listen almost exclusively from my computer when at home. I have to listen with headphones and system for listening from my computer is a lot better than my speaker system. The computer system is a real system with a good DAC, great vintage receiver and vintage Stax headphones. I can't listen to speakers when my wife is home, which is usually the case, so I have no reason to invest in a speaker system.

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is most unfortunate. I have many friends whose wives will not allow music on real speakers. My wife does allow music,and often thanks me for exposing her to a wide range of music. I also have a "sonically secluded" music library with a nice sound system. I hate the physical constraints of headphones, even the most comfortable "phones". I have been in some extremely fancy and expensive homes, where there is actually no "sonic seclusion" anywhere. The design funnels any sound everywhere. No one can listen there.