The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Branford does well in this context. If you like searchers, you might want to listen to the show Ornette sat in on (2-23-93) (edited) and David Murray's appearance (9-22-93) on the archive

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    warewolf95, Jason Tenney and Sordel like this.
  2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Thanks for the dates. I knew both of them played with the Dead. I'm less of a fan of Murray than I once was. With Ornette, that's a whole new subject.

I think I need to hear this one first. I'm waiting at least a few years before I hear Vince Welnick:)

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Ornette date should be '93. Jerry also came out and played with Ornette and Prime Time for a bit during their opening set.

Erik B. and Jason Tenney like this.
  4. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Thanks, fixed my post

5. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Try Birmingham night 2 on April 5th. Fun set list and Jerry was very present. Touch of grey to open and has the final Johnny B Goode.

Setlist below

Set 1:
    Touch Of Grey >
    Wang Dang Doodle
    Stagger Lee
    Me And My Uncle >
    Maggie's Farm
    Row Jimmy >
    The Music Never Stopped

Set 2:
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Long Way To Go Home
    Truckin' >
    That Would Be Something >
    Uncle John's Band >
    Matilda Matilda >
    Drums >
    Space >
    I Need A Miracle >
    Morning Dew

Encore:
    Johnny B. Goode

6. Jason Tenney

Jason Tenney Forum Resident

i really like this show! there are definitely a few gems from Spring '95 and the May '95 West Coast run...

Crispy Rob likes this.
  7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It is now 22.19 and it's chilly on the balcony. Sun is down but it's still light outside. I'm heading for the couch. Tomorrow is another day

Sunshine, daydream, walking in the tall trees, going where the wind goes
    Blooming like a red rose, breathing more freely,
    Ride our singin', I'll walk you in the morning sunshine
    Sunshine, daydream. Sunshine, daydream. Walking in the sunshine

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Anyone know any of the particulars on the 10 LP box that's coming out with all the cover bands? Is it supposed to sound any good? Who's cutting it?

The few songs I have heard I enjoyed.

9. Jason Tenney

Jason Tenney Forum Resident

i made a data dvd with every Spring 1995 show, and one with every Summer 1995 show...i just wanted to have them all in one place for some reason...i listen to the Spring one more often...there ARE some good shows to be found! even a struggling & fading Jerry could pull off some cool-sounding stuff! there is a considerable drop-off by the Summer, though...the 6/15 Highgate show is not great. the shows were such a mixed bag - the 6/18/95 Giants Stadium show has a VERY COOL intro to China Cat...starts with percussion and keys only, then the guitars come in at once (check this out!)...then it devolves into the hideous Wharf Rat...i used to have a VHS of this show, watching Jerry during Wharf Rat was quite sad...at one point he looks over at Vince (i think) and just shakes his head in defeat...but the Albany shows have some redeeming moments, like the final Morning Dew...the Auburn Hills shows have good moments; Victim>Foolish Heart, China>Rider...even the 7/8 Chicago show has a few highlights...although it is eerie, retrospectively, to hear Jerry sing (repeatedly) "Just Don't Tell 'Em You KNEW Me" in Sugaree...

warewolf95, Wright, Ray29 and 2 others like this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Ornette played with the Dead twice, February and December 93.

Jason Tenney likes this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

3/27/95 has a good Playing-Uncle John's and an interesting Sugaree.

WiseJake237 and Jason Tenney like this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yep. I was at both of those. IMHO the February one was better, but both are worth a listen

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The other Ornette show is Los Angeles, 12/9/93. Branford joined the boys the next night in LA, 12/10/93, which was the first Branford show I caught.

Jason Tenney likes this.
  14. WiseJake237

WiseJake237 Forum Resident

Made a tequila run after work tonight and put this on when I got back:
    [​IMG]
    It's been a little over two years since I first received this release in the mail, and it still sounds just as good as the first time. This is probably my most-played Dave's Picks volume - an all-around great show which includes my favorite version of Turn On Your Lovelight not included on Live/Dead, which is essentially a holy relic (as it is, for me, the one that officially set the hook in). Still, this release has become my go-to '60s Dead recording, even ahead of Live/Dead. Pigpen, lots of nascent Workingman's Dead material, and heavy psychedelic jams - I seem to fall for that proposition every time!

15. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Other than the 32 minute Lovelight which is a bit excessive, Dave's 10 is pure gold. Disc 3 is one of the finest individual discs in the Dave series. The thing I like best about this one is that once this found its way home they wasted no time in getting it released. Bravo, GDP.

I'd be listening to that one tonight as well, but something else arrived today.

[​IMG]

Now all I need is 1 and 2, but unless there's a re-release program those aren't happening.

16. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I was at that 12/10/93 show too. My first dead show

17. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

So, please remind me those who've listened a lot to '95 recently, he did change that tense a couple of times that year, right? I wonder to what extent it's just a mix-up, though, since the past tense of the same word is used in the part leading up to the chorus: "please forget you knew my name, my darling Sugaree".

Of course, it's especially eerie in light of that infamous "last muddy river" at the final show...

Crispy Rob likes this.
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm among the few that really enjoy volumen 4, I guess.
    Volume 1 is excellent, taken from the Golden Spring 77 tour. Volume 2, even though there are much better 1974 shows, has its good moments.

19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I actually deleted the 12/12 show from my computer and left only the bonus disc. I can't delete a Dark Star. But man, that Alligator--> Caution must be real gold because that Uncle John's--> He Was a Friend of Mine is more pedestrian than a Bobby Goldsboro schmaltz-fest.

I traded Vol 4 for a limited edition 3x10" Sun Ra LP set. Good choice in my book, notwithstanding my recent affection for '76.

No interest in Vol 1 and Vol 2 is quite weak, IMO, except for the bonus disc. Another "full shows only" mistake.

rockinlazys, Ray29 and budwhite like this.
  20. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

I was at the Feb show, smokin when Ornette was on stage.

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

First Albany show was just sad...like really sad. There was some life in the second show but it was like a last gasp.

budwhite likes this.
  22. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue Forum Resident

I just checked this out on eBay. Wow! It's going for crazy money. I have Feb 18 and June 18 SBDs which make up half this release. I might have to roll my own mix.

Erik B. likes this.
  23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Gee, I have to go through hell to get my Dave's Picks and you trade them for something else!

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Checking an external HD, I found Download Series, Vol. 10, which I had bought many years ago and completely forgot. Imagine my surprise when I read 7/21/72. A fresh 1972 show to listen to! It kicks off with a nice "Sugaree" and then a dog does some barking (inside a theatre???) before they start off the excellent "Black-Throated Wind" I'm listening to right now. Keith is luckily up, and apart from some distortion, the mix is quite good. I would like some more Phil, though. Bear, adjust those faders!

budwhite, Archtop and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Is this thing still available somewhere? I don't understand download only (both in how I get it and why they do it). Create a CD and I'll basically pay any price for a '72 show at $100 or less.