Car stereo listeners - what's your main listening source?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RickH, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

2. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Same here. I make CD-R copies of my favorite albums and the occasional mix CD-R or ...play library borrowed CDs.

My original CDs do not go anywhere near my car and they stay in the house for protection.

It's a bumpy world out there...:)

3. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I fill up the 6CD changer with things I'll probably be listening to more often, easier access that way and I don't have to start it up everytime I get in the car. Just starts playing, like magic. Cool stuff.

Otherwise, I use the official Apple 30pin-lightning adaptor, with an 30 pin+line usb cable. The adaptor includes a DAC that provides a proper line-out, and charges the phone as well. Clean audio, one simple connection. Somewhat hassle free (still have to start the music manually eeeeverytime I get into the car)

4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I like the idea, but am curious of how it's set up in order to minimize distracted driving.

5. russk

russk Forum Resident

Phone or CD

6. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

iPhone/Spotify plugged into aux-in in my '08 Acura TSX (pretty decent stereo) when I'm not listening to talk radio. Can't remember the last time I played a CD.

7. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

For now, it's XM Sirius (Deep Tracks, On Broadway) for my Jeep Patriot. I have a few months left on my trial in which I may continue for 6 more months.

I also use a thumb drive for mp3 albums. Although it is equipped with a CD player, all my CDs are put away. I could use CD-Rs but don'twant to go there. The thumb drive will suffice if needed.

8. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

I couldn't have said it better.....this.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

When i'm not listening to the news/talk radio on XM, i'm listening to my 320 kbps music collection played from a USB stick. I could play lossless .wma files, but i'd have to go through the hassle of creating the lossless' wma files first. I only keep FLAC and mp3 in my archive.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I should really do the tablet thing. That way, I can haul my entire collection around with me. I just don't know how well my Surface pro, or the mini hard drives, will stand up to 100+ degree temperatures.

11. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I use a sanza clip. It can hold hundreds of 320 kbps mp3s which is good enough for me considering the road noise. It also has a 5 band eq to supplement the bass and treble controls my car system.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

CD-R's i make myself.

if someone is in the car with me and they like what is playing i'll usually give them the disc and go home and do another.

never ever ever listen to the radio.

13. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

128 GB USB drive mostly.

14. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I have it on a cup holder stand and normally keep a small black hand towel over it so I don't see it. During the day it's not much of a problem but at night it's very distracting without the towel.

Btw, on the Lexus the cupholder was in a bad spot so I bought a 'valet cup holder' for $7 which sits between the passenger seat and the console. That infringes slightly on the passenger, but most of the time it's just me. In the van, I have an aftermarket console which has 4 cup holders and one of the front ones works perfectly.

Besides lowering distractions, the towel doubles as a security measure as passerbyers don't see anything but a little bump in an already dark car. If I'm gone for long it's easy to remove the tablet for added safety.

cdash99 likes this.
  15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I used to have one of these & it was great. It eventually died, and I got the new model, the Sansa Sport. Sadly, they made a lot of changes that I really dislike (no gapless playback, music on device and music are shown on different screens, can't shuffle between each).

Veech likes this.
  16. sami

sami Mono still rules

My only music source in the car is my 160gb iPod Classic via USB. Roughly 15,000 lossless songs available at any time.

17. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Just CD's.

18. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

Android phone over bluetooth and whatever streaming service I am currently subscribed to along with Amazon Music and podcasts. Sometimes I'll stream from the Grateful Dead Archive app. I'll listen to Sirius XM occasionally but find it to be pretty lacking as of late.

19. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

My listening falls into the all-of-the-above category. CD, iPod via 30 pin connector, iPhone via Bluetooth, an SD card with driving music for when the convertible top is down, and talk/satellite radio for good measure. With two and a half hour round trip commute, one needs to stay amused.

20. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

That's brutal man. I've been lucky to never live more than 15 minutes from where I work.

21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Phone / Bluetooth
    Dedicated music player / aux port
    FM Radio

I can't say I have a main listening source as I use them pretty interchangeably.

22. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I've got my 6 disc changer filled with Beatles albums and there is a drive in the car which I can use for other CDs when I feel like some variety.

23. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Sansa Fuze

24. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Enjoyed reading some of the replies! I was always a cd-r person only. I gave up bringing my CD's into my car or truck a LONG time ago. You all know the drill of carrying one of the book type cases of 120 disks- and leaving them in car, or trying to read while driving and load, etc. It really got to be a hassle.

I have an 09 Accord that I bought either a PIE or the other name ipod adapter for. It got me in the right direction, but is now lacking. Note- I am not a Iphone user.
    I also have a Nissan Frontier truck- 2006, that had stock POS radio and I put up with it till this past January. I could not add any adapter to it- so I had to deal with cd-r's.

In January- I bought a new Pioneer double din 4800BS, and some Pioneer speakers for my doors of the truck. I wanted the blu-tooth for my Android phone, and I wanted the ability to use a USB stick for music. Bonus- the Pioneer being a new version supports FLAC, but only at CD rez. It amazes me how long I put up with sh***y audio for in the truck. While I don't have an $$$ system- I love the sound I get from it. My listening is almost 95% USB stick when I use it.

My Accord- I use the IPOD, but its an old version from 2005(30 Gig w/ video). I maintain 2 drives on my PC for MP3 rez at 320K for Accord, and Flac 16 bit for the truck.
    FM Radio is mostly a thing of the past- but AM WBZ 1030 I do use for local news on my commutes. I couldn't tell u when I last used the CD Player.

Chris

25. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

Switched to my old ipod nano 4. Using my phone became a hassle. Thinking of getting a kenwood deck w/o cd player & with blue tooth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.