Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My favorite was Michael Mancini.

Cubbiegirl likes this.
  2. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Not sure about other parts of the country, but in LA radio stations only played the acoustic version of 7.....much better version IMO. I think that is the last major Prince song I liked (or even knew about.)

Thom likes this.
  3. Grant

It was terrible.

4. Man, where have you been for the last 24 years?

"Yes, I'm in the market to by a home, but I'd like for it to be under that rock over there." :p

Grant likes this.
  5. Grant

You never heard "The Most Beautiful Girl In the World" in 1994? Not only was that a top 10 hit, but radio played the hell out of it. I liked his Curtis Mayfield-like lead guitar and soulful vibe. It really sounded different from anything he had released up to that point. And, I know you had to have heard "P-Control". That became a club staple.

Bowieboy likes this.
  6. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Rather poignant song especially now that he's gone. If only Prince... if only :(

Freek999, enro99, bunglejerry and 3 others like this.
  7. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I have the "7" maxisingle, but I haven't listened to all the tracks on it for ages. Listening to the acoustic version now, and... I really like it, it sort of 'declutters' the song a bit. It's a really nice mix. :thumbsup:

8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

The exhumation Xperience....

So you know that thing where, in an effort to save space, you ditch unwieldy jewel boxes or paper sleeves and put CDs or DVDs into one of those sleeve-album thingys made by Case Logic that claim to hold 24o discs or whatever? I decided to go return my exiled Prince discs to individual slim purple cases.

I thought it would be all maxi-singles, but I found about a half-dozen album CDs in there, including HnRP1 with the booklet (bought before The Event), so I paired that up with HnRP2 in a new double-disc jewel box. I'm not sure why I exiled "The Gold Experience" (the word "Prince" is not on this disc label), "1999" (w/ DMSR, mfd. by the BMG record club) and "Batman" to a virtual leathery attic, but I did. (I know why "Lovesexy" and "Rave" are there, but that's an argument for another time).

Anyway, here are the maxi-singles I pulled. Point and laugh if you want, gasp in jealousy if it's warranted, but this is what I found, 8 discs in all not counting the "Interactive" CD-ROM...Welcome to the mostly lame experience.

* "The Hate Experience maxi" (Hey, that's what it's called.)
    Four versions of "I Hate U"
    (c) 1995 Controversy Music, admin by WB Music Corp.

* "Purple Medley"
    An 11-minute PM, a 3:14 edit, and "Kirk J's B-Sides Remix", which has gotten the best of my curiosity. I just put it in the CD player to hear what the hell that is. (Okay, "Pop Life" and "When Doves Cry" weren't B-sides, Kirky J....whatEVER!!)
    (c) 1995 Warner Brothers Records
    CD artwork has no symbol, no NPG logo, and "PRINCE" in big letters.

* "Get Wild"
    1995, 3 tracks, made in Germany by optimal
    You either know about this one or you don't
    Just, no.

* "Space"
    (c) 1994 Warner Brothers Records
    5 versions of "Space" from the Warner Bros. albume COME

* "7"
    1992, Paisley Park/WB logos.
    5 versions of "7", including the acoustic version, and "2 WHOM IT MAY CONCERN" (caps theirs)
    Interestingly, it gives three different catalog numbers for the Symbol album. Did that album come out on 8-track?

* "The Scandalous Sex Suite"
    (author's comment: Flawless. The dig's redeeming find. I even saved the front cover on this one.)
    "When 2 R in Love" gets a 1987 copyright. "Scandalous", from Batman, obviously 1989.

* "The Future (Remix)"/"Electric Chair (Remix)"
    1989, Made in Germany

* "Little Red Corvette (Dance Mix)" 08:21
    "1999 (full length version)" 06:22
    This compilation (P) 1989 WEA MUSIK GMBH
    Paisley Park logo.

I was still buying 12" vinyl through "Alphabet St.", so I guess this is where things started to shift...

zebop likes this.
  9. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I "found' most of them in the last weeks, somewhere...

Yep, it's safe to even forget all about "Get Wild" not much going on there. "I Hate U" is pretty cool, included is an album edit, a "remix" that sounds like another take. Also there's a Quiet Night Mix with another speaking part, more threats, it's great! :) I'm amazed at the amount of different songs he turned another songs into.

10. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

The entire album is phenomenal! :love:

Peace N. Love likes this.
  11. eileen

eileen Forum Resident

:love: :love: :love: Love this one, esp. Universal Love remix.

12. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Who knows... Dream Factory is a likely one.
    The other one could be anything. Roadhouse Garden wasn't a real album in 1986, but a compilation Prince was working on in the late 90s. Could be that one.
    Another one could be the pre-Madhouse album The Flesh. As far as I know that was a 'finished' album.
    Camille is a solo Prince project, recorded after disbanding The Revolution, so that one is not likely to be released as a Prince and the Revolution album.

13. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

- I really don't like that song (sorry!) But, since so many people on here are dissing such a great album, I'm gonna agree with you! :) I'm really surprised a lot of folks don't like this album, or maybe it's just a few vocal people. :D I even enjoy the Kirstie Alley bits! (But then, for whatever reason, I've always liked her!) The album is really varied, in a great way! Rap, electronica, rock, power ballads, etc!

Thom likes this.
  14. eileen

eileen Forum Resident

"The Morning Papers" --- it has the gorgeous lyric though:

"If he poured his heart into a glass and offered it like wine"

StevelandJudkins, Thom and EVOLVIST like this.
  15. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I agree totally. I think it's a great album. It's totally overstuffed, but that's the point. It never sits still for even a second. And it's such a dense sound, full of activity.

I get people not liking that, though. I mean, Prince's best moments are often stripped down pieces like, say, "Kiss" or "Alphabet Street". Songs with room to breathe. The Symbol album is aurally a bit asphyxiating, and its mood shift could strike some as schizophrenic and half-developed.

Personally, I love the chaos.

With "The Morning Papers", I suspect it's the lyrics you don't like. I had a hard time with them, and how they seem to be offering rationale for predators. It's a bit creepy.

But that melody, goddamnit. It's just... celestial.

16. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Is "Fury" the sequel to "Bambi"? They sound strikingly similar.

17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I used my precious time there to grab 12" vinyl rip collections while the getting was good.

Some memories came flooding back -- the alternate mixes on "The Hate Experience" were highly recommended by a lot of people at the time (including raves about a guitar solo, IIRC), sounding much like you are here, so I bit.

OTOH, "Get Wild" and "Emancipation" were pretty much at the forefront of my mind when I deliberately decided NOT to subscribe to the NPGMC. Seemed like a bit of a gamble to me. The stories being told today about his and Bowie's "visionary" approaches to the Internet needs, I think, to be tempered with more elaborate history: the reality that even all these years later, people are still skittish about music subscriptions; that only a small number of anybody's base are going to buy stuff sight unseen; that in the end both turned out to be storefronts for enhanced show/ticket access (not that there's anything wrong with that); etc.

Fast-forward to today, and the goals of the way-back NPGMC seem to mix a little bit of the Bandcamp model and a little bit of the PledgeMusic/Patreon model. So yeah, I'll go along with "Prince was way ahead of his time on the Internet thingy.", but I'll also go along with "Had there been a Bandcamp or a PledgeMusic at the time, he'd be a total diva, demanding upfronts from startups pretty much the same way major labels do."

I also have a very positive gut-memory reaction to this CD. Musta been good, as you say.

zebop likes this.
  18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I'll go for "gasp in jealousy", since I only have these things in a less physical format... :angel:

Do you guys mean you don't like the song or you don't like this release? Is this the one that has "Beautiful Girl", which is a unique Eric Leeds instrumental version? I "have" a six track "Get Wild" maxi that has five remixes.

Wouldn't that be CD, LP and cassette?

Probably not if we are to take what Fink said literally: "At the end of 1986 there were definitely two albums in the can that never saw the light of day," he says. "It's stuff that was recorded with the group and co-written with the group, just a continuation of what we were doing after the Parade album and before Prince made the decision to disband the group at that point." If they are two albums that were "in the can" at the end 1986 then Roadhouse Garden must be out, and if it's "a continuation" from Parade it can't be The Flesh. Could it be he just means Crystal Ball, which of course isn't all Revolution, but what he says doesn't have to mean that, but then that dates from after "the decision to disband the group". We must remember though that "normal" people (even musicians) aren't as trainspotting with facts as us kooks and nerds here are, so he might consider things by The Revolution, in the can by 1986 and before the group disbanded, that we don't. :)

I never heard it like that, I think they are quite dissimilar both musically and in sound. "Fury" is one of those song I sometimes think I should play to some of my frinds to show the Rock side of Prince, but then I switch my hearing to, like I mentioned earlier, listen like I think they will hear it, and decide that they will think it is really lame and just forget all about it... :laugh:

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    JohnnyQuest likes this.
  19. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I think it says a lot that Parade is one of my favourite Prince albums and yet I couldn't even make it through the Cherry Moon movie. I can't really comment on Bridge since I shut that one off about 10 minutes in.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You missed nothing! It's even worse than "Cherry Moon"!

Peace N. Love likes this.
  21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Mine is the three-track with "Beautiful Girl". I had literally blocked "Get Wild" from my brain, or I would have listed it in my older post about the small number of Prince songs that make me seethe with a red-hot hate.

22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Ya gotta admit, PR, GB and UTCM (the movies) were really about Prince's three best and distinctive hairdos.

Good hair, great soundtracks. Why so picky?

(Mayte said in Billboard that the salon in Paisley Park was for his use only. She had to leave to get her hair done.)

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The stripped down arrangements are great but I don't think they're his "best" at all. I also like like to hear him playing full-on funk with a brass section or gritty hard rock or sweet soul with strings.

The Morning Papers is astounding. One of greatests songs.

Rocketdog and EVOLVIST like this.
  24. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Maybe he meant only Dream Factory... It was suppossed to be a double album. As in two albums :confused:

EVOLVIST likes this.
  25. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Curious as to which of his live shows/tours people rate the highest. Based on what I have seen (videos - I only saw him in person once, on the 2011 Welcome 2... tour), my favourite is probably the Parade show (this based on the '86 birthday show video).