A introduction - some upgrade advise

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RicZ, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident Thread Starter

First post/thread here. I've been reading the forums for quite sometime. Learned a lot about this nice hobby through reading the forums but while I always thougth about registering I only just got around doing so.

I've been using a cd player mainly for listening to music, but also have a large record collection and now I am begining to listen to records more and more. I started out buying vinyl in the mid 80's.Hunting High and Low by a-ha being the first album I bought. My first music system was an all in one record/ cd player/ cassete deck/ tuner kind of thing. I can't remember by which company or which type it was. Hopefully it was nicer to my records then nowadays crosley record players, but it wouldn't have been much better. This came with a cheap pair of speakers. Then somewhere mid 90's I got a new system. These were a seperate technics cd player, cassete deck and the SA GX 130d technics stereo receiver. I added a sony PS-LX250H turntable a few years later. Around that time I also got a pair of B&W DM302 speakers.

The cd player was the first to give up, I replaced it already a long time ago with a Sony CDP XE330 cd player. Now recently the cassete deck also gave up, leaving only the receiver part to function However I think it's now time to say goodbye to that part as well.

I never thought about upgrading, always thinking that as long as something works why would I get something else. The technics system and the sony turntable always sounded good to me.Sure when something went broke I'd replaced it.
    Only recently I started to gather more information, finding out that it might be better for example to get at least a seperate amplifier as opposed to a receiver.
    Finding out that one could adjust the tracking weight and set the antiskate on a turntable which the PS-LX250H didn’t have. So this year I bought the Denon DP-300F turntable, already upgraded the cartridge with the Grado prestige red 1. And now, after making the needed adjustments and several hours of playing it all sounds really good. What a difference comparing it to the Sony. Records that skipped on the Sony now are playing without problems. And to think that I got rid of a few records thinking they were faulthy, never thinking that the record player could be the problem.

So now I am curious what else I could upgrade, how much of an improvement is there still to be made. Ofcourse there could be no end in sight, but at least the receiver is in for a upgrade.
    There will be no new turntable for a long while, tho I might want to try out another cartridge at one point, the cd player might also be due for a replacement and perhaps different speakers, tho the B&W set always served me well.

Current setup (from oldest to latest addition).

Receiver: Technics SA-GX130D
    Loudspeakers: B&W DM 302
    Cd Player: Sony CDP XE330
    Turntable: Denon DP-300F (with the grado red1 cartridge).

I’ve read good things about the Marantz PM6005 integrated amp. and I am willing to pay the € 400,- asking price I see it here for, but if I get another cd player I am not sure if I am willing to pay another € 400,- for the Marantz CD6005. Tho it would make a nice matching pair. Maybe get a previous model if the difference isn’t worth mentioning.
    The Onkyo C-7030 cd player is maybe better, but would it match with the PM6005? A silly problem perhaps. Another choise for a amplifier might be the Onkyo A -9010, which also seems to be well regarded and is cheaper then the Marantz. But would the Marantz be better? What about Denon amplifiers and cd players? Again for amplifiers I am willing to spend about € 450,- but for cd players only about € 250,-.

So yes, really curious to hear what you all think and how it all will sound eventually.
    This would be it for now, hopefully the post didn’t end up being to long

2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Hi Ric and welcome. I'm afraid I don't have any guidance for you but I'm pretty sure some people that know what they are talking about will be along shortly!

3. everton

everton Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with your Technics receiver. But about 30 years ago, I had a Technics integrated amp. It sounded OK, but I felt that it lacked clarity. I do not how how much improvement you will get from the Marantz PM6005 integrated amp (Generally I do not like Marantz sound...too warm sounding for me). If I were you, I would consider changing the speakers first. If you like B&W sound (which I do), take a look at the B&W 685 S2. I am familiar with the sound of your DM302, and I think that the 685 S2 will be a step up (although the tonal quality may be slightly different).

4. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

Hiya, Ric, and congratulations on your first post!

I have to say, I think you've got a nice setup and it seems to have done a good service to ya for quite awhile. In regards to your curiosity of upgrading, I think you should reflect on the sound you want from your current system. If anything, maybe find if you have a hi-fi dealer near you and schedule an appointment and see what's out there. Who knows, you may walk out with something worthwhile.

Cheers,
    Chris

5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Looks to me that you have a system that nicely complements itself. All good brands. I agree with destroysail. Go listen to some other stuff with your favourite albums at a dealer and see what you think. But don't get suckered in. If you upgrade one element you may find that because it's new you want to change everything perhaps bar the speakers. Maybe some better interconnects or speaker cable would give you the best bang for a buck. Don't be afraid to look to the used market for new gear if that's what you decide. Most stuff lasts for ages and there are some great bargains. If you change, look to the source first - CD or deck. But get new quality interconnects and cable first. Even if you upgrade that won't be wasted money.

Destroysall likes this.
  6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

If you like music to sound like music and not hifi, the Marantz gear is your ticket.

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  8. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

I m sorry but I hate sound of Technics there is no emotions or dynamic.
    My first set of components was Technics :oops:
    So or new amp-reciver my opinion.

9. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
    Yes I like the sound from my B&W speakers, so l have the B&W 685 S2 as an possible upgrade.
    First I'll visit a local dealer, hopefully compare some components and gather more information.
    I still have my mind set on that Marantz tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.