What cdp to buy – Onkyo, Rotel or Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pick-me-up, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI Thread Starter

I’m planning to buy a new cdp or perhaps even sacd-player in the near future. Have narrowed the choices to these candidates. Don’t mind about other brands. No bluray-player either!
    USB is NOT so important, but a nice extra. I’d really love to get me a new SACD-player, but it must be pretty good even with regular Red Book discs.

Onkyo C-7070, (Onkyo C-7030?)
    Rotel RCD-12
    Rotel RCD-1570
    Panasonic PD-50

I’d love to know your thoughts about these. IF the sound of Panasonic is good even with cd:s, we have a winner here! I prefer more how the cd:s sounds. SACD is just a bonus. And besides, I’m 60+ yrs. old rascal, so you know I can’t hear everything like a youngster. ;)

BTW. I have a very little chance to listen any of these. And comparing – there is no such thing!
    I’ll have to trust what you guys are telling me … Of course I’ve read tons of reviews but what do they know – compared to our board? :)

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Of those brands I have owned Rotel and Onkyo and if I had to choose I think I would pick Rotel for sound quality.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  3. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Are you sure you mean Panasonic and not Pioneer? Panasonic PD-50 doesn't come up in a google search as a CD player, but Pioneer PD-50 does.

Any reason why you have already discounted Yamaha from your choice selection?

4. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

I use to have a Rotel, very nice player.

5. pick-me-up

Sorry, Isaac! My bad. You are quite right.
    No special reason for that, but it seems not to be my kinda stuff, I guess. What model did you have in your mind?

6. pick-me-up

Alright, what about the slot loading mechanism? Is it general better or worse than usual technics? Certainly lesser moving parts, I guess.

And I wonder also how little / big difference are there between these two models of Rotel?

Wasatch likes this.
  7. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

No particular model, but I'm kind of a Yamaha fan so I like to read about their stuff. They have several models ranging from $300 to $6,000 USD depending on how audiophile you want to go.

pick-me-up likes this.
  8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

It was a long time ago, but I had a Rotel CD player that I was very fond of. It had a pleasant "sparkle" in the mids and highs compared to the Pioneer universal players I had. Which I also liked, but always used a DAC with.

I know you said no other brands, but in Europe, Marantz is widely available. They have CDPs as well as SACD players, and are well-regarded for their comparatively smooth sound. I've installed them for friends and I do enjoy their sound.

Note that these differences are often subtle. You would likely enjoy any of your listed choices, insofar as you're not in a position to audition before buying.

9. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Absolutely the Rotel RCD 1570. Rotel players in general are excellent.

tmtomh and HiFi Guy like this.
  10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I'd look into Cambridge Audio and Yamaha.

pick-me-up likes this.
  11. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I HATE slot loaders! I've dropped more discs using this type of feeding mechanism than I care to say. Had a slot loader for about three months, sold it and bought a traditional drawer loader transport from Cambridge and all is good in my world again! Your mileage may vary of course.

clhboa likes this.
  12. pick-me-up

Thanks for all good advices! But how about Pioneer PD-50? It’s the only one that plays even SACD.

The reason I don’t want to buy Marantz is because my current SA8400 is so kinky about the cd:s I put in it. It refuses to play very many cd:s which are perfectly ok! There is something wrong with it and I don’t think it is the laser.

tmtomh likes this.
  13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

i would go with onkyo, but onkyo has piss poor customer service...they make great units overall. yamaha is also a g00d brand as well...

14. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

I had a RCD-1070. Because it was a top-loader, I used the Millennium M-CD Mat, and it did improve a lot of CDs.

15. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I'd choose Rotel for sound, but Onkyo is a bit of a sleeper brand. Onkyo would be my second pick of the brands you named.

17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Man, the Onkyo C-7030 in incredible for the money. I'd demo that and ask yourself if you really need something better.

tmtomh, pick-me-up and c-eling like this.
  18. harby

harby Forum Resident

If you are playing any of the few CDs listed here from the early 80s, Onkyo seems the only new player documented to properly recognize and apply preemphasis for CDs with preemphasis flags in either TOC or subchannel info.

Here's this forum's thread on which players support preemphasis. List of CD players that can decode pre-emphasis »

If you want to buy into (dying) SACD and don't want to hack a Playstation 3 to get the DSD audio to your computer, then you'll still need an optical player - and you'll want to get one before there are no more decoding chips. As several double-blind tests could not distinguish mastering to DSD vs 44.1kHz, the only benefit you'll likely enjoy with older ears is after you also have a five-channel full range audio system for select surround-sound discs.

pick-me-up likes this.
  19. pick-me-up

Please, harby!

Could you possibly write a little easier english? I’m not sure if I follow your meaning properly. :) I know my hearing is NOT the best possible. What else should I think about?

Or are you meaning, the SACD way is not to recommend?
    I don’t mind! I just want a reliable player to play all of my cd:s.

Does anybody know or guess, how little or big difference there might be between the two Rotels? Because I’m not sure, if there are any real benefits to be found buying the more expensive model, in my case.

And to last. I have been thinking a really lot about lesser Onkyo model. I will try to listen to it, if it’s only possible. But things are not easy if you live outside big towns in Fennoscandia.

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

You might think about getting the cheapest one that can handle all the formats you want then run it to an outboard DAC. It will be the way to get the best sound.

tmtomh and pick-me-up like this.
  21. pick-me-up

Alright, I hear you bro! What about the price of this DAC then? How much it is gonna cost? I’m perfectly satisfied with stereo sound, and I am NOT seeking any fancy ultra fidelity!
    The reliability is the main key.

I’m very curious, are there any Pioneer guys here? IMHO it should be great for the price. OR is it?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is wide open, at about $500 you will beat most internal DAC's on a CD player. Probably a little more than you are looking to get into. FWIW, I ran a Panasonic Bluray player for years and found it to be delightful. I pulled it awhile ago and I just run a digital connection from my computer to a Rotel DAC. It is substantially better SQ.

23. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I've got a Rotel. Cds sound warm on it. Vinyl warm.

24. pick-me-up

Which model, if I may ask, Nice Marmot?
    I’m not looking for hifi nirvana, just reliable source that plays everything I want. How about that Pioneer?

25. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I have the 1520 and love it. I'm sure that since people are recommending the 1570, it sounds great. If I recall correctly, the frills increase as the number goes up with Rotel; but I'm not changing mine any time soon, if ever.

pick-me-up likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.